Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Why Did Men Stop Wearing High Heels?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,048 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:44 PM

For generations they have signified femininity and glamour - but a pair of high heels was once an essential accessory for men.

Beautiful, provocative, sexy - high heels may be all these things and more, but even their most ardent fans wouldn't claim they were practical.

They're no good for hiking or driving. They get stuck in things. Women in heels are advised to stay off the grass - and also ice, cobbled streets and posh floors.

And high heels don't tend to be very comfortable. It is almost as though they just weren't designed for walking in.

Originally, they weren't.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk...gazine-21151350

Posted Image

~MEH~

#2    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,518 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:53 PM

BBC tosh.....men are still wearing high heels, in fact some are even into stilettos. The fashion has changed, but the stigma of men in high heels is becoming much more acceptable. Many a men out there who are wearing heels to make them look taller.
There are many men out there wearing high heels to make them look sexier, whether they are straight is another story, but I do believe many men in the past were up for back door antics, it just was not as acceptable then.

ps: will not let me post pics of men in high heels today, but there are loads on google.

Edited by freetoroam, 25 January 2013 - 01:55 PM.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#3    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

• 3,609 posts

• It seems so important now but you will get over.

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:55 PM

Yes, at one time fashion was the domain of men only. Well we are reclaiming it but willing to share this time.

Heels are a bad idea for any sex, they will ruin your feet.

But I love my new boots, they have a normal heel but a heel they have and it makes that noise when I step. Just for the days I want to be noticed before I come into view.

#4    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,757 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:06 PM

View PostI believe you, on 25 January 2013 - 01:55 PM, said:

Yes, at one time fashion was the domain of men only. Well we are reclaiming it but willing to share this time.

Heels are a bad idea for any sex, they will ruin your feet.

But I love my new boots, they have a normal heel but a heel they have and it makes that noise when I step. Just for the days I want to be noticed before I come into view.

I can't stand heels that make noise... I much prefer 'stealth'... The quieter I am while walking the better!... and if a pair of shoes squeak - it drives me nuts...

#5    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 7,518 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:10 PM

View PostTaun, on 25 January 2013 - 02:06 PM, said:

I can't stand heels that make noise... I much prefer 'stealth'... The quieter I am while walking the better!... and if a pair of shoes squeak - it drives me nuts...
years back I had a pair of shoes where 1 heel squeaked, it drove me mad and one day while walking home I threw them away, yes, i walked the rest of the way barefoot, but ARRRHHHH, the relief.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#6    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,899 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:54 PM

I spend most of my time in riding boots and wellies, so opportunities to go 'glam' are somewhat limited (I'm glad to say!)

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#7    little_dreamer

little_dreamer

Government Agent

• 3,299 posts

• We did not understand it all, but somehow we survived.

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:12 PM

I think cowboy boots, combat boots, etc. have a bit of a heel for men. Maybe Air Jordan sneakers as well?   They used to have "Elevator" shoes for men to discreetly increase a man's height by 2 inches or so.

I am another anonymous face in the crowd. I am just another tiny wheel in the machinery of the world I live in.

#8    TheLastLazyGun

TheLastLazyGun

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts
  • Location:The edge of the West Pennine Moors, Northern England

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:11 PM

View PostHasina, on 25 January 2013 - 01:44 PM, said:

Because they had enough commonsense to stop wearing such potentially dangerous footwear which also damage the Achilles tendon and shorten calf muscles, causing long-lasting damage.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun, 28 January 2013 - 07:15 PM.

#9    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:34 PM

View PostTheLastLazyGun, on 28 January 2013 - 07:11 PM, said:

Because they had enough commonsense to stop wearing such potentially dangerous footwear which also damage the Achilles tendon and shorten calf muscles, causing long-lasting damage.

Or because they stopped riding horses?

#10    g00dfella

g00dfella

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:41 PM

Timberlands...

#11    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 7,059 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:53 PM

Men wear heels... They are usually much more sensible than the pins some women walk on. I know quite a few men that wear heels for fashion sake, but that may be because I know a lot of men who are into costuming.

#12    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 7,518 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:21 PM

So they took up football instead.

#13    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,048 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:26 PM

Did we read the article~?

Posted Image

~MEH~

#14    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,637 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:47 PM

They make my calves look fabulous.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

#15    TheLastLazyGun

TheLastLazyGun

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts
  • Location:The edge of the West Pennine Moors, Northern England

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:45 PM

View PostHasina, on 28 January 2013 - 08:26 PM, said:

Did we read the article~?

I don't know about you, but I did.

And the article states that high heels are dangerous.  Men suddenly developed the commonsense to stop wearing them.

View Postfreetoroam, on 28 January 2013 - 08:21 PM, said:

So they took up football instead.

All of them?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users