Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

HIV 'may have an ancient origin'

Still Waters

The origins of HIV can be traced back millions rather than tens of thousands of years, research suggests.

HIV, which causes Aids, emerged in humans in the 20th Century, but scientists have long known that similar viruses in monkeys and apes have existed for much longer.

A genetic study shows HIV-like viruses arose in African monkeys and apes 5 million to 12 million years ago.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-21189141

Does not surprise me, what does surprise me is this:

"The disease emerged during the 20th century after a HIV-like virus jumped from chimps to humans."

How can it jump?? It was said that it could only be contacted through bodily fluids. Or is that only for humans? so it can jump from the chimp but not from human to human?

I would think any virus by definition has to have ancient origins -- all living things have the same ancient origin. Hence what they are doing is improving our knowledge by determining its ancestry better and better.

In response to an earlier statement, a disease organism is often specialized to prey on a specific species, and when it evolves in such a way as to be able to prey on another species, it is said to "jump" to that species.

I would think any virus by definition has to have ancient origins -- all living things have the same ancient origin. Hence what they are doing is improving our knowledge by determining its ancestry better and better.

In response to an earlier statement, a disease organism is often specialized to prey on a specific species, and when it evolves in such a way as to be able to prey on another species, it is said to "jump" to that species.

There is no evidence of it "jumping", and there is nothing saying it actually preyed on humans, more like humans preyed on the monkeys;:

There are several ways by which humans may have become infected by a simian retrovirus. One hypothesis believes its emergence came from human use of monkeys. HIV-2 is very closely related to a strain of SIV found in sooty mangabees and the location of sooty mangabees in West Africa coincides with the incidence of HIV-2. There is evidence that sooty mangabees are occasionally killed and eaten in this region. A hypothesis suggested by F. Noireau in 1987 suggested cross-species transfer of SIV to humans might have occurred when monkey blood was applied to human genitals after pubertal circumcision. Such practices could have eventually led to the emergence of a new strain of SIV capable of infecting humans and causing AIDS. Based on the DNA sequences of SIV and HIV-1 and HIV-2, it appears that SIV may have given rise to HIV-2. The origin of HIV-1 is unknown but it is presumed to have arisen from another monkey virus. It is thought that HIV may have begun to spread in Africa after the Second World War when medical personnel began to administer antibiotics by syringe. Syringes were often limited in supply and were generally reused. HIV could then easily be transmitted from an infected individual to an uninfected individual. The virus then might be carried from a rural population into an urban population where it would continue to spread by sexual contact, transfusions etc. It is possible that individuals would have died of some opportunistic infection like Pneumocystis Carinii pneumoma, and no one would have known it was AIDS.

http://www.gibbsmagazine.com/Where%20AIDS%20Came%20From.htm

Any microbe that causes us sickness and death can be said to prey on us. I don't get your point at all.

Any microbe that causes us sickness and death can be said to prey on us. I don't get your point at all.

A genetic study shows HIV-like viruses arose in African monkeys and apes 5 million to 12 million years ago

If it was not for mans interference, it may never have gotten to us, please see link too as this explains how the virus came into contact with man, or rather it explains that the virus did not find its way to us on its own.

I believe the prevailing theory is the virus jumped from tribesmen eating infected monkey meat.

• Like 1

I believe the prevailing theory is the virus jumped from tribesmen eating infected monkey meat.

Yes, jumped inside their stomachs.

why does the word "brains" keep popping up in my head. Maybe I need to start a zombie apocalypse thread.

• Like 1

why does the word "brains" keep popping up in my head. Maybe I need to start a zombie apocalypse thread.

Typical, now you want to start a thread about yourself. rolleye0014.giftongue0015.gif

"The disease emerged during the 20th century after a HIV-like virus jumped from chimps to humans."

How can it jump?? It was said that it could only be contacted through bodily fluids. Or is that only for humans? so it can jump from the chimp but not from human to human?

They mean in the general sense. They don't mean the virus literally jumped.

A genetic study shows HIV-like viruses arose in African monkeys and apes 5 million to 12 million years ago

If it was not for mans interference, it may never have gotten to us, please see link too as this explains how the virus came into contact with man, or rather it explains that the virus did not find its way to us on its own.

That seems reasonable. The thing I might ask is what did it arise from?

It seems reasonable that a virus like aids, already infecting our closest relatives in the living world, would naturally sooner or later find a way to infect us. Whether it came from humans eating bush meat or getting bitten while trying to catch it or some other route is stuff we should try to find out, but I don't see where there is any blame involved.

They mean in the general sense. They don't mean the virus literally jumped.

NO, what they mean is they do not want to admit that the humans started it themselves by interfering with the monkeys in the first place.

NO, what they mean is they do not want to admit that the humans started it themselves by interfering with the monkeys in the first place.

You're one of these people who believe HIV came from having sex with monkeys? LMAO

You're one of these people who believe HIV came from having sex with monkeys? LMAO

Read the link I posted and show me where the word sex is mentioned as the cause?

Are you one of those people who believe a monkey bit a man in a Congo Village?... and somehow, this man who has never left his village is the cause for the virus which spread around the world, not only in 1 strain, but a few.

Saying that, a few years ago a woman from the Congo was tested in France and was found to have a new strain of the virus.

Edited by freetoroam

Read the link I posted and show me where the word sex is mentioned as the cause?

"NO, what they mean is they do not want to admit that the humans started it themselves by interfering with the monkeys in the first place.

^

"Interfering" was your explanation.

Edited by Rlyeh

"NO, what they mean is they do not want to admit that the humans started it themselves by interfering with the monkeys in the first place.

^

"Interfering" was your explanation.

yes, but it did not mean sexually.....alone. have you read that link yet? laughabove.gif

Yes, jumped inside their stomachs.

Man has been hunting and butchering monkeys for millennia and thus being in contact with and the virus. Why would the virus mutate into strains that could pray on humans?

Cheers,

Badeskov

Why would the virus mutate into strains that could pray on humans?

To survive, perhaps. Maybe it noticed that there is less and less hosts so start looking for new one.

Because it was engineered to do so. .Why do ya think they keep playing with bird flu ?

Because it was engineered to do so. .Why do ya think they keep playing with bird flu ?

Like this?

There are many theories of how HIV developed, ranging from plausible and worthy notions to wacky inconceivable ideas. One notion conceives HIV as human made--for conspiracy theories, such as: the US Government created HIV and Ebola virus; it was a Soviet plot; or the CIA developed it.