Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Can number of rapes be decreased?

number of rapes decreasing rape nos

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#31    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:53 PM

children do not dress wrong and this is an even more prevalent problem then adult  rape IMO. I dont want to categorize one as worse then the other because thats just wrong but I do think attacking an innocent child to be massively obscene.

#32    Jinxdom

Jinxdom

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

• Education...has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
    -- G.M. Trevelyan

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:35 AM

For rapes to actually decrease we need to look at every situation that is rape first not just the ones that are just Men towards everything and eliminate the double standard that society has today. Some people can't even admit it happens. Oh and good luck getting out of paying child support in that event.

Something to make you think http://www.genderrat...vulnerable-men/

#33    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

undead

• 13,372 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:27 PM

View PostJinxdom, on 26 January 2013 - 08:35 AM, said:

For rapes to actually decrease we need to look at every situation that is rape first not just the ones that are just Men towards everything and eliminate the double standard that society has today. Some people can't even admit it happens. Oh and good luck getting out of paying child support in that event.

Something to make you think http://www.genderrat...vulnerable-men/
Well, I read the link but I'm afraid it didn't really make much sense to me. I was just left with the feeling that 'you can make statistics say anything' ........ sorry.

What, in all the world, could I do to earn my living and still live as myself, as I knew myself to be? Temporary masks, I knew, had their place; everyone was wearing them, they were the human rage; but not masks cemented in place until the wearer could not breathe and was eventually suffocated.

#34    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

undead

• 13,372 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:31 PM

View PostAsteroidX, on 25 January 2013 - 08:53 PM, said:

children do not dress wrong and this is an even more prevalent problem then adult  rape IMO. I dont want to categorize one as worse then the other because thats just wrong but I do think attacking an innocent child to be massively obscene.

I really don't want to get stuck on just the aspect of clothing, but in fact children can 'dress wrong' because adults encourage them to do so. Even very tiny children sometimes get dressed up to look like their 18 year old sisters!

What, in all the world, could I do to earn my living and still live as myself, as I knew myself to be? Temporary masks, I knew, had their place; everyone was wearing them, they were the human rage; but not masks cemented in place until the wearer could not breathe and was eventually suffocated.

#35    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

undead

• 13,372 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:35 PM

View PostDaughter of the Nine Moons, on 25 January 2013 - 06:47 PM, said:

Another thing that I find incredibly offensive is the implication that men are not able to control themselves because they are incited to rape because of scantily clad women. You do a disservice to men. They are not animals, most men can control themselves.

I wonder why you are 'incredibly offended' by something that was not said or even implied? I didn't think we were discussing 'most men', I thought we were discussing rapists?

#36    Daughter of the Nine Moons

Daughter of the Nine Moons

☆。Fearstriker Do'Teh 。☆

• 15,149 posts

• ☆彡

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:36 PM

Of course it was implied by your faulty premise that revealing clothing is causing men to rape (at least sexually frustrated and awkward ones).

My first response to your question What can we do, as individuals & as society, to minimise the number of rapes that occur? was "Punish the rapists and cease blaming victims." I'm going to go further. Teach our sons honor and compassion. Teach that rape is never acceptable. Teach our daughters to respect them selves. Teach them  that their self worth is not tied up in their image. Teach both about personal accountability

"You cannot pass," he said. … "I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. You cannot pass. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udûn. Go back to the Shadow! You cannot pass."

#37    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:22 PM

Red light districts and lower prices perhaps...

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#38    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

undead

• 13,372 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:30 PM

View PostDaughter of the Nine Moons, on 26 January 2013 - 06:36 PM, said:

Of course it was implied by your faulty premise that revealing clothing is causing men to rape (at least sexually frustrated and awkward ones).

My first response to your question What can we do, as individuals & as society, to minimise the number of rapes that occur? was "Punish the rapists and cease blaming victims." I'm going to go further. Teach our sons honor and compassion. Teach that rape is never acceptable. Teach our daughters to respect them selves. Teach them  that their self worth is not tied up in their image. Teach both about personal accountability

Please can you take it as read, that when I mention any group(including sexually frustrated and awkward men), I am not attributing behaviour to the entire group ....... I am usually speaking in a very general way, because to do otherwise would take up pages and pages :lol:

The second part of your post I agree wholeheartedly with ........ particularly: 'Teach both about personal accountability'.

#39    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

undead

• 13,372 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:33 PM

View Postthe L, on 26 January 2013 - 07:22 PM, said:

Is this a PC suggestion? Possibly not, but I think it is something that could help ...... in a limited kind of way.

#40    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:33 PM

Ouija perhaps this could help

Chili powder and knives given to Mumbai women to fend off rapists

http://rt.com/news/r...-women-law-758/

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.

#41    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

undead

• 13,372 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:49 PM

View PostSky Scanner, on 25 January 2013 - 06:47 PM, said:

Take a look at this survey of over a hundred convicted rapists:

https://www.d.umn.ed...andmarollis.htm

Live more sensibly in the way you leave opportunity open to be exploited and raped and you might reduce rape, but don't give rapists the get out of free jail card they want by tip toeing through life trying to change how you dress or act in the hope they will leave you alone - because they have shown in every study there is that they don't think like that anyway....
Firstly, thank you for that link ...... I would recommend it to anyone interested in this thread. It's long-ish but not a difficult read. I'll comment on it in a longer post in a minute.

Secondly, regarding your last paragraph: you suggest not 'tip-toeing through life, trying to change how you dress or act', and yet, time and time again in this thread and the previous one, poster after poster agrees that to make the possibility of rape less likely, it is sensible to not get drunk, to not walk alone at night/in certain areas, to not go off alone with strangers. These seem to be things that we all agree on, and yet to follow this advice we can't help but limit our lives!

#42    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:52 PM

View Postouija ouija, on 25 January 2013 - 02:11 PM, said:

This topic is a second try at a similar one that was closed a little while ago because posters were becoming disrespectful of each other. PLEEEASE people, keep it nice this time around. Rape is a terrible crime with immediate and long term effects. It needs to be discussed, and males and females need to work together for a better understanding of how the opposite gender to their own, views the situation. Then we need to act in accordance with that understanding.

Please bear with me as I make 3 or 4 posts that relate to aspects brought up in the previous thread.

The most important point IMO that came out of the previous thread was : 'Ideals vs Reality'. Of course we need ideals and our minds need to be constantly turned back to them, BUT, at one and the same time we must be realistic in telling women and children what the pitfalls are and teach them how to stay safe. Encourage youngsters to have ideals and to speak out about them, but remind them that they have to live in the real world in the mean time.

Ideals and reality have to co-exist. As 'eightbits' said in another thread recently: 'The ideal cannot be the enemy of the necessary'. Or, as 'Yamato' said: 'Admitting something exists does not mean advocating it'. I really don't think that this can be emphasised enough. Whilst holding tight to our ideals and promoting them whenever we can, we must not lose sight of the fact that we may be in danger from those who do not hold the same ideals as us. We may believe very strongly in our ideals, but we must never forget that others often view the world and life very differently.

When I meet a woman I can tell if shes not right in the head -
1. Abusive
2. Mood problems
3. Impulsive behaviour
4. Breaks laws such as drugs and violance
5. Sexual deviant

Likewise if a woman hasnt got the sense to select well balanced men quite frankly its her own fault. I'll also add she shouldnt be putting herself into riskly situations until she knows if he's normal too.

Edited by Mr Right Wing, 26 January 2013 - 08:02 PM.

#43    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 10,338 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:10 PM

View Postthe L, on 26 January 2013 - 07:22 PM, said:

Joke right? did you read what has been written about this in the earlier posts?

#44    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 10,338 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:14 PM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 26 January 2013 - 07:52 PM, said:

When I meet a woman I can tell if shes not right in the head -
1. Abusive
2. Mood problems
3. Impulsive behaviour
4. Breaks laws such as drugs and violance
5. Sexual deviant

Likewise if a woman hasnt got the sense to select well balanced men quite frankly its her own fault. I'll also add she shouldnt be putting herself into riskly situations until she knows if he's normal too.
Thats not always possible to tell. There have been cases where the man seems to be the perfect gentleman at first, that is part of some of the serial rapists act, to trap the woman. But this is only one kind of rapist, just because they are all classed as rapists, does not mean they all work the same way.

#45    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:17 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 26 January 2013 - 08:10 PM, said:

Joke right?

yup.

Im voting for early education, self defense techniqes (SAMBO, Krav Maga, Judo ,Muay Thay) and harsh and cruel penalties.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users