Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The Hunt for Red October Virus

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 34,319 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:45 PM

Spiegel said:

For five years now, the Red October computer virus has embarked on a new brand of espionage, stealing emails and other encrypted classified documents undetected from diplomats around the world. Though the virus may now be in hibernation, it's designed so that it can strike again at anytime.

The virus hunters have their headquarters in a nondescript office building in northwest Moscow. Vitaly Kamlyuk, a 28-year-old Belarusian with gel in his hair and a shiny black tie, sits in front of a giant monitor wall displaying a world map. He is having a discussion with a pale female computer scientist and a nerdish-looking man with long hair and a bouncy goatee.

The three virus hunters, part of a special unit at Kaspersky, a Russian computer firm, are hunting for "Red October." It's the moniker they have given to a newly discovered spy program, inspired by the almost noiseless submarine in the eponymous novel by Tom Clancy.

Read more

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#2    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:03 PM

Hackers are unassociated group of individuals and widespread networks as well as cells spanning the globe and the do both good and bad deeds.

#3    Order66

Order66

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts

• The hate is swelling in you now. Take your Jedi weapon. Use it. I am unarmed. Strike me down with it. Give in to your anger ...

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:11 PM

View PostAsteroidX, on 25 January 2013 - 07:03 PM, said:

do both good and bad deeds.

Yes, they're good when they benefit you, bad when you are the target.

Posted Image

#4    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:19 PM

View PostOrder66, on 25 January 2013 - 07:11 PM, said:

Yes, they're good when they benefit you, bad when you are the target.

Not necessarily. Ethical hacking, where a company is the target, has at times proven to be a great thing for those targeted. Ethical hackers are necessary, though the line is a fine one.

#5    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:56 PM

Hacking is a very diverse group of people. And there skills are immense.

This is not an anonymous video but a 20 minute that explains hackers in some detail objectively.

#6    Order66

Order66

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts

• The hate is swelling in you now. Take your Jedi weapon. Use it. I am unarmed. Strike me down with it. Give in to your anger ...

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:16 PM

View PostExpandMyMind, on 25 January 2013 - 07:19 PM, said:

Not necessarily. Ethical hacking, where a company is the target, has at times proven to be a great thing for those targeted. Ethical hackers are necessary, though the line is a fine one.

A hacker by definition obtains information in an unethical manner by virtue minmally of unauthorized access. It looks cool on TV and in movies when the investigator for example breaks into the bad guy's office to obtain information but in a judicial system with integrity where right and wrong actually exist instead of a spin zone of moral relativity where the best bull****ter wins, evidence would be thrown out that is obtained in an unethical manner.

Edited by Order66, 25 January 2013 - 09:18 PM.

Posted Image

#7    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:19 PM

Hackers admit they can go to jail for there "ethical" work. The recent suicide of Reddit founder Aaron Swartz points to the ridiculousness and overzealous prosecution of even minor cases while Big Bankers go unpunished for raping millions of Americans of there retirements and homes which have never been recovered.

http://www.marketwat...cide-2013-01-13

#8    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:28 PM

View PostOrder66, on 25 January 2013 - 09:16 PM, said:

A hacker by definition obtains information in an unethical manner by virtue minmally of unauthorized access. It looks cool on TV and in movies when the investigator for example breaks into the bad guy's office to obtain information but in a judicial system with integrity where right and wrong actually exist instead of a spin zone of moral relativity where the best bull****ter wins, evidence would be thrown out that is obtained in an unethical manner.

I was referring to this kind of ethical hacker and also to those who follow a moral code (no pun intended) while doing the same thing without permission. But I agree, the latter is an oxymoron of sorts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users