Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Strange object my wife found

lens green leather pouch

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 4,670 posts

• I might have been born yesterday but, I've been up all night.

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:35 AM

It's not a 'camera filter', it's an old stationary darkroom filter, for making prints (i.e. color correction - if it was too magenta, you'd filter it with a strong green filter). Trust me, I used to do this for a living before digital came out. :)

Edited by Likely Guy, 26 January 2013 - 07:44 AM.

#17    ChrLzs

ChrLzs

Just a contributor..

• 3,208 posts

• I only floccinaucinihilipilificate
    when it IS worthless...

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:58 AM

It definitely looks like a camera filter to me - green is a very useful filter when shooting black and white.  Older cameras (like TLR's and as you said movie cameras) often had relatively small lens filter fittings of around 30mm diameter, with proprietary fittings so you had to buy that camera's accessories..  They also frequently came in a leather pouch as per the Rollei example given - I would have thought that was more likely an indication of some degree of portability - I think camera is most likely, telescope second, enlarger third.

A museum or elderly camera store owner might be your best shot to help identify it, or maybe browse some antique camera forums..

___
All my posts about Apollo are dedicated to the memory of MID - who knew, lived and was an integral part of, Apollo.

#18    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:42 AM

Because of the green tint, it looks more like a moon filter for a telescope..  We have one very like it..almost identical

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#19    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 12,689 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:43 AM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 27 January 2013 - 12:42 AM, said:

Because of the green tint, it looks more like a moon filter for a telescope..  We have one very like it..almost identical
Can you take a picture of it?  I have been searching and searching and it is like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#20    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,421 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:00 AM

At first I thought telescope for looking at the sun but my sun filters are much darker than that.  Maybe for the moon because it can be very bright especially with a larger telescope and if you have light sensitive eyes you might use one.  It could also be for a old camera or binoculars.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users