Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The Rise of the Superbugs

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 8,994 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:43 AM

The Rise of Superbugs Called 'Apocalyptic Scenario'

A prominent British health official has declared the rise of antibiotic-resistant superbugs so grave a threat that the world is now facing an "apocalyptic scenario" in which people die of routine infections.

Dame Sally Davies, the U.K.'s chief medical officer (a role equivalent to the U.S. surgeon general), warned Parliament that contagious antibiotic-resistant disease is an imminent crisis and should be included on the government's official register of possible national emergencies, right next to terrorist attacks and natural disasters, according to the Guardian.

http://news.yahoo.co...-162449696.html

I always get suckered for sensational headlines..

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

#2    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,208 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:13 AM

Bad news when one appears that there is no defense against.  In our modern age we have nearly forgotten the way death used to accompany the most (by our standards) trivial incidents of injury.  A scratch on the leg that gets dirty, stepping on a nail....  I used to do MRI for a living and I'll never forget one patient whose knee I was to examine.  The doc thought he had an infection in the bone.  He was in his 30's and had a red scar running from his ankle to his groin.  This kind of scar is common for a cardiac bypass patient but he hadn't had heart surgery.  He had a bug bite on his leg and scratched it with dirty fingernails.  He acquired MRSA and had been in hospital off and on for months.  Awful case.  Bug bite, scratched it without even thinking.... had it not been for the drug armory available he'd have already been dead.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#3    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 8,994 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:25 AM

View Postand then, on 26 January 2013 - 08:13 AM, said:

Bad news when one appears that there is no defense against.  In our modern age we have nearly forgotten the way death used to accompany the most (by our standards) trivial incidents of injury.  A scratch on the leg that gets dirty, stepping on a nail....  I used to do MRI for a living and I'll never forget one patient whose knee I was to examine.  The doc thought he had an infection in the bone.  He was in his 30's and had a red scar running from his ankle to his groin.  This kind of scar is common for a cardiac bypass patient but he hadn't had heart surgery.  He had a bug bite on his leg and scratched it with dirty fingernails.  He acquired MRSA and had been in hospital off and on for months.  Awful case.  Bug bite, scratched it without even thinking.... had it not been for the drug armory available he'd have already been dead.

ooh - thats scary... Im keeping my sanitizing gel ever closer! Ive had cellulitis from a fight, hit a guy once, and his teeth cut my knuckles wide open.... 7 days in hospital...hand puffed up like  you wouldn't believe..the .docs say a mans mouth is more dirty than a dogs..

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

#4    Mentalcase

Mentalcase

Space Cadet

• 5,346 posts

• Most Thugish Member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:59 AM

View Postand then, on 26 January 2013 - 08:13 AM, said:

I had a pimple on my philtrum once that turned nasty with MRSA. Had to have multiple surgeries on it. My mother got bite by a brown recluse spider on her nose once and developed MRSA as well. After surgery you could see her skull and eye socket through the hole. Now there's no scar on her nose, which is absolutely amazing!! However, I have a scar on my philtrum.

From what my doctor said, MRSA is a fairly common bacteria living in most people's noses.

http://ancientaliensdebunked.com/  <~Ancient Aliens DEBUNKED!
I think that it is much more likely that the reports of flying saucers are the results of the known irrational characteristics of terrestrial intelligence than of the unknown rational efforts of extra-terrestrial intelligence ~Richard Feynman http://www.myspace.com/7leafclover

#5    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:10 AM

I got an infection on my scalp once from a barber accidentally cutting a mole.  He dabbed it with alcohol but it got infected anyway.

After a few weeks of antibiotics, it was cured; my doctor told me that if I had had this infection ten years earlier I would have died.

#6    docyabut2

docyabut2

Poltergeist

• 3,132 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:41 AM

The super bugs are our own fault. They say it because people never finished the antibiotics that were given to them to kill the bugs. The bugs just stayed dormemt building resistances to the antibotics creating  super bugs :)Now we have find new antibotics that may worked. I know I`m guilty  as most people many times I thought well I feel better and never finish the pills :) BTW any one ready for the new strain of the norvirus, diarrhea and vomiting for week:( had it the last two years about this time, no fun:(

http://www.foxnews.c...intcmp=HPBucket

#7    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:45 AM

Superbugs are also caused by overusing common antibiotics destroying our natural bacteria of which we have much more of then bad bacteria allowing the more resistant strains to thrive in a less competitive environment.

#8    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:20 AM

View PostAsteroidX, on 26 January 2013 - 10:45 AM, said:

Superbugs are also caused by overusing common antibiotics destroying our natural bacteria of which we have much more of then bad bacteria allowing the more resistant strains to thrive in a less competitive environment.
Yes of course, but we have to understand that with any use of antibiotics at all organisms will evolve.

#9    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,245 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:33 AM

They keep saying we all have had too many antibiotics to fight off infections,and yet ,I don't know anyone who hasn't gotten better if they tale a proper course of antibiotics .
Just who is dying from these alleged super bugs ?

Miss me?

#10    docyabut2

docyabut2

Poltergeist

• 3,132 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:08 PM

View PostAsteroidX, on 26 January 2013 - 10:45 AM, said:

I agree the overuse to.The way my old Doc explained it, We Doc s  can`t cure any disease, only infections. We can only tell you how you may prevent a disease and when you get one try to control it .However now we can no longer cure the infections, because the bugs are finding resistences, just try to find new atibioctics that might worked.

#11    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:44 PM

I agree that the over-use of antibiotics will come back to bite us in a big way. We will have to get used to treatments from the pre-antibiotic era, and to accept that some infectuous diseases can not be cured.

Pretty horrifying, but that is the predictable result of what mankind has been doing.

#12    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• 1,594 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:46 PM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 26 January 2013 - 11:33 AM, said:

They keep saying we all have had too many antibiotics to fight off infections,and yet ,I don't know anyone who hasn't gotten better if they tale a proper course of antibiotics .
Just who is dying from these alleged super bugs ?

If you do some research, you will find documented cases. Luckily few so far, but expect that number to rise dramatically from now on.
The pharma industry can not develop new antibiotics as fast as the bugs adapt to them.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#13    SurgeTechnologies

SurgeTechnologies

Psychic Spy

• 1,234 posts

• "Why not take what seems to me the only chance of escaping what is otherwise the sure destruction"

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:14 PM

Only threat here is the further study and engineering of h5n1... and that scares the hell out of me..

And bare in mind that usage of antibiotics in daily or frequment periods will make human system resistant to those too.

Edit: For update recent news suggest that study will take effect in Netherlands which is even more scary, because face it in US they are abit paranoid over their security and because of that they actually have super security and it would make me feel much better if study would go on in some of their bases. No offense to anyone from Netherlands but i doubt the efficiency of security there.

I'm just afraid that some highly sponsored group of highly trained people or mercenaries would take that "Hell" with ease.

Edited by Tesla II, 26 January 2013 - 04:19 PM.

#14    spartan max2

spartan max2

Poltergeist

• 2,360 posts

• There's nothing so absurd that if you repeat it often enough

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:07 PM

basically we need a new strategy other then antibotics.

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#15    King Fluffs

King Fluffs

The Resident Misanthrope

• 1,111 posts

• Shadows protect my angel in white...

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:04 PM

We actually need a superbug.

The Earth's population is sky rocketing and we won't be able to cope much longer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users