Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Neil DeGrasse Tyson View On Life Beyond Earth

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#16    Dr. Mirdad

Dr. Mirdad

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 252 posts

• “Ask not of things to shed their veils. Unveil yourselves, and things will be unveiled.”

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:19 PM

View PostSky Scanner, on 26 January 2013 - 07:01 PM, said:

If i'd had a science teacher with half his enthusiasm when I was a kid, i'd have found it hard not to pursue those subjects back then.

Seen this vid before, nice to see it again though :tu:

The man in your icon looks familiar... I know where I seen you before....
Posted Image

Lol

Edited by Dr. Mrdad, 26 January 2013 - 07:20 PM.

“Often you shall think your road impassable, sombre and companionless. Have will and plod along; and round each curve you shall find a new companion.”

#17    The Sky Scanner

The Sky Scanner

Observer

• 5,461 posts

• The loud ones never last!

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:22 PM

View PostDr. Mrdad, on 26 January 2013 - 07:19 PM, said:

The man in your icon looks familiar... I know where I seen you before....

Lol

lol :D :P

"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science". ~ Edwin Powell Hubble

#18    Hazzard

Hazzard

Stellar Black Hole

• 11,757 posts

• Being skeptical of the paranormal is a good thing.

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:39 PM

View Postzoser, on 26 January 2013 - 05:39 PM, said:

Whose science and logic?  There are many.

By now we are all aware of your "science" and "logic" thank you very much. :tu:

I still await the compelling Exhibit A.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -Edmund Burke

#19    theSOURCE

theSOURCE

Alien Abducter

• 4,450 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:05 PM

Of course there are. Take, for example, the extraordinarily scientific and irrefutably logical claim by some on this forum that states, "I don't know anything about the construction techniques of ancient cultures so alienz did it."

Simply brilliant! :rolleyes:

He actually said nothing we didn't already know 100 years ago.

You're relying on human knowledge gathered in the past? I'm shocked! :o  

What is this forum coming to? :cry:

#20    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 16,852 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:15 PM

Dr.Tyson knows from wince his bread is buttered ! ANd dont you forget it either ! He quite the intellect. We Humans could learn a thing or three trillion from this man !

This is a Work in Progress!

#21    DingoLingo

DingoLingo

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:57 PM

I love Neil..

did you know he is the host for the remake of Cosmos? that should be out this year..

Also love Brian Cox..

#22    badeskov

badeskov

Forum Divinity

• 11,144 posts

• Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please - Mark Twain

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:26 AM

View PostDingoLingo, on 26 January 2013 - 10:57 PM, said:

I love Neil..

did you know he is the host for the remake of Cosmos? that should be out this year..

Also love Brian Cox..

He is a great conveyor of science! I wish I had more time to enjoy such programs, unfortunately that is not the case.

Cheers,
Badeskov

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!! What a ride!". Said to to Dean Karnazes by a running buddy.

#23    DingoLingo

DingoLingo

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:33 AM

I download them all.. gives me something to watch when I am at camp after I finish my shift :D

#24    badeskov

badeskov

Forum Divinity

• 11,144 posts

• Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please - Mark Twain

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:46 AM

View PostDingoLingo, on 27 January 2013 - 02:33 AM, said:

I download them all.. gives me something to watch when I am at camp after I finish my shift :D

I envy you that you have the time to spare to watch :P I just watched the one in the OP and it is excellent. He definitely has a way with words...."drooling, blithering idiots in their presence." about us if we met an Alien race that was as intelligent compared to us as we are compared to chimps. How very true.

Cheers,
Badeskov

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!! What a ride!". Said to to Dean Karnazes by a running buddy.

#25    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 30,405 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:24 AM

He actually said nothing we didn't already know 100 years ago.

Who's science? People who can read I imagine.

You do not get to choose sciences, there is science and that is it. Fringe borrows the word science and abuses it. People are entitled to their own opinions, not their own facts. Science is what it is, the pursuit of knowledge.

We know something that you say is not "your" science" do we? How do we "Know" it then Zoser? That which you abhor confirms it does it?

LOL.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo 'If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.' - Sir Isaac Newton. "Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit." Ed Stewart. Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs. Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Sir Wearer of Hats.

#26    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 30,405 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:26 AM

View PostDr. Mrdad, on 26 January 2013 - 04:45 PM, said:

I watched this video earlier and thought it was well worth sharing. This is the most reasonable explanation of why there can be a possibility of there being life beyond this planet earth. I was fascinated by his explanation in this video. What are your thoughts on it?

I new this would be worth diverting to my phone for.

What are my thoughts? That this is an excellent presentation. Bless DeGrasse Tyson.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo 'If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.' - Sir Isaac Newton. "Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit." Ed Stewart. Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs. Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Sir Wearer of Hats.

#27    DBunker

DBunker

Government Agent

• 3,485 posts

• I prefer to know, not just to believe.

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:32 PM

View Postpsyche101, on 29 January 2013 - 09:26 AM, said:

What are my thoughts? That this is an excellent presentation. Bless DeGrasse Tyson.

He has the Nova show, and also plenty of pod cast interviews.... love it. :tu:

Now that communications technology has made it possible to give global reach to the bizarre and archive it forever, it is essential for men and women of reason resolutely to counter the delusions of the fringe element. James S. Robbins

#28    The Sky Scanner

The Sky Scanner

Observer

• 5,461 posts

• The loud ones never last!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:35 PM

View Postpsyche101, on 29 January 2013 - 09:26 AM, said:

If you get BBC Iplayer in your neck of the woods, check out Professor Brian Cox's new series "What is life?"...on a slightly different tangent in the first episode, but well worth a watch, and the subsequent programmes in the series look really promising :tu:

"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science". ~ Edwin Powell Hubble

#29    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,715 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:24 PM

I remember this video being posted on UM not too long ago. Quite a humbling and almost calming notion that the universe and us are all essentially one.

#30    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 30,405 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:14 AM

View PostSky Scanner, on 29 January 2013 - 12:35 PM, said:

If you get BBC Iplayer in your neck of the woods, check out Professor Brian Cox's new series "What is life?"...on a slightly different tangent in the first episode, but well worth a watch, and the subsequent programmes in the series look really promising :tu:

Cheers!

Thank you for the heads up. I loved Morgan Freemans Through the wormhole, The Universe, The Solar System How the Universe works and The Grand Design. I reckon I am going to love this.

:tu:
:tu:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users