Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Kids with Fewer Vaccines

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:59 PM

JAMA Study: Kids With Fewer Vaccines Have Fewer Doctor and Emergency Room Visits.

http://healthimpactn...cy-room-visits/

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#2    Obviousman

Obviousman

Spaced out and plane crazy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

• "Truth needs no defence. Nobody - NOBODY - can ever take the footsteps I made on the surface of the Moon away from me."
    Gene Cernan, Apollo 17

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:39 PM

Anti-vaccinatination rant by some anti-vaxxers. Who would have see that coming?

#3    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:09 PM

@obviousman
Study shows....

So what now science isnt good anymore? LOL

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#4    flyingswan

flyingswan

Government Agent

• 3,961 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:49 AM

the L, on 26 January 2013 - 11:09 PM, said:

So what now science isnt good anymore? LOL
Read your own link.  It doesn't say unvaccinated children are healthier, it says they have fewer visits to the doctor.  The explanation is right there in the link - parents who distrust doctors don't get their children vaccinated and they don't take their children to the doctor for other causes either.

"Man prefers to believe what he prefers to be true" - Francis Bacon (1561-1626)
In which case it is fortunate that:
"Science is the best defense against believing what we want to" - Ian Stewart (1945- )

#5    Obviousman

Obviousman

• 1,730 posts

• "Truth needs no defence. Nobody - NOBODY - can ever take the footsteps I made on the surface of the Moon away from me."
    Gene Cernan, Apollo 17

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:51 AM

Perhaps you'd do well to read this:

http://www.scienceba...ccine-movement/

Incidentally, notice how the article "forgot" to mention this:

"In contrast, undervaccinated children had increased inpatient admission rates compared with age-appropriately vaccinated children (IRR, 1.21; 95% CI, 1.18-1.23)."

Funny about that, hey. Wouldn't want to muddy the waters with facts you don't like.

Edited by Obviousman, 27 January 2013 - 11:51 AM.

#6    Little Fish

Little Fish

Government Agent

• 4,000 posts

• The default position is to give a ****

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:00 PM

flyingswan, on 27 January 2013 - 11:49 AM, said:

The explanation is right there in the link - parents who distrust doctors don't get their children vaccinated and they don't take their children to the doctor for other causes either.
you didn't read the link did you.

#7    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:01 PM

I asked my 10 year old tonight if he thought he got too many vaccines. He answered yes. Ill take his word on it. Ill stand up for his right to have safe vaccinations only.

#8    Queen in the North

Queen in the North

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,509 posts

• We're more Ceefax people.

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

Disclaimer: this is my own opinion.

Personally, I'd worry more about having the diseases children are vaccinated against. In high school, I chose to take part in the catch up scheme for the HPV vaccine, I'll take the risk and have some protection against cervical cancer, thank you. And I'm fine. I mean, I'm weird, but I'm fine. Maybe my weirdness is a result of my parents responsibly choosing to have me vaccinated against all manner of horrible things when I was a child.

Posted Image

#9    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

I respect your opinion and choice to become fully vaccinated. There is it least 100 things your not vaccinated for that vaccines are available for and they are some of the more dangerous diseases around the world. Unless you REALLY got major vaccinated. Which Id say caused your pseudo weirdness with some certainty :whistle: . Wouldn't it be nice if some of those vaccines were optional. I don't say someone shouldn't get vaccinated. And I agree some need to be mandatory.

But I don't expect my son to get around HPV. Why does he need vaccinated.. I was never vaccinated against chicken pox. Back then we just got it and we all lived. So why vaccinate against it ?

Theres some weird stuff coming out of the UK over recent vaccines as well causing narcolepsy:

http://voices.washin...cause_narc.html

#10    Queen in the North

Queen in the North

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,509 posts

• We're more Ceefax people.

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:32 PM

I wasn't vaccinated against chicken pox either, I had that when I was a child and I did live just fine. I believe that vaccine is currently only recommended for the immunocompromised and health workers with no history of the disease (at least, that is in the UK), as it's much more serious in adults than children.

I will no doubt eventually be vaccinated against more things, as I pursue a career in healthcare I will be in hospitals and the like and require some of the more 'exotic' vaccinations. I don't want to get more than necessary as it increases the risk for a reduced benefit, but if I see the benefit of a particular vaccine, then sure. I may also be in the position to give vaccinations myself, and if I should be in that position I intend to make sure my patients are well informed.

Posted Image

#11    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:43 PM

Im almost certain chicken pox is a mandatory vaccine in America now.

You are spot on. I did a 20 year stint in healthcare. But most of it was before the flu vaccines and it was never really bad in the places I worked. Something has changed over the past 30 years.

You sound very educated about the vaccines you get which is good. Understanding that multiple vaccinations some of which are very new may have unknown risks is important as well.

As a health care worker you will be on the "front lines" of new and old communicable diseases. So education education prevention is the way to go.

#12    Obviousman

Obviousman

• 1,730 posts

Gene Cernan, Apollo 17

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:54 PM

AsteroidX, on 27 January 2013 - 02:18 PM, said:

I was never vaccinated against chicken pox. Back then we just got it and we all lived. So why vaccinate against it ?

Because not everyone reacts the same and because you can cause damage to others. A lot people - as children - would have some uncomfortable but non-life threatening symptoms, and that would be that. Some people have it worse and get left with permanent scarring.

The worst though, is the effect on others. Chickenpox is highly contagious. If you got it as an adult, the symptoms and scarring are likely to be far more severe and you run an increased risk of developing varicella pneumonia. If you are a strong, healthy adult then you will probably live through it... but if you are not young, or are a smoker, or are immunocomprimised then your survival rate drops dramtically.

And if you were pregnant? Unless you were vaccinated and therefore immune your child runs the risk of encephalitis and other brain damage, damage to the eyes, damage to the spinal cord or a raft of other complications. Oh - and that pneumonia, too.

We get vaccinated and practise herd immunity so that those who are at risk from diseases don't have to face that risk.

#13    Corp

Corp

Telekinetic

• 6,951 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:30 PM

AsteroidX, on 27 January 2013 - 02:01 PM, said:

I asked my 10 year old tonight if he thought he got too many vaccines. He answered yes. Ill take his word on it. Ill stand up for his right to have safe vaccinations only.

Yeah, I'm betting his answer has less to do with the medicial concerns of vaccines and more about avoiding getting jabbed with needles.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth a war, is much worse...A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

#14    HerNibs

HerNibs

Grand Duchess Anaesthesia

• 12,259 posts

• Endless repetition does not make something true.

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:42 PM

Corp, on 28 January 2013 - 05:30 PM, said:

Yeah, I'm betting his answer has less to do with the medicial concerns of vaccines and more about avoiding getting jabbed with needles.

:)  Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.  We had corn on the cob for dinner the other night and one of my grand daughters complained that grandma serves to many veggies.  

This is why the 9 year old doesn't get to make big decisions.

Nibs

Just because it is a mystery to YOU doesn't make it unexplained.

STORM - a must watch - caution, some profanity and may cause you to experience reason.

#15    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,226 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:40 PM

the L, on 26 January 2013 - 07:59 PM, said:

JAMA Study: Kids With Fewer Vaccines Have Fewer Doctor and Emergency Room Visits.

http://healthimpactn...cy-room-visits/

Buy the book - get it now, free shipping.

Get you some "virgin coconut" while you're at it and some bison meat.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users