Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Instant ice.... no kidding

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 14,120 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:59 PM

"Phil Sabine is puzzled by what happened when he left bottled water in his truck during freezing weather"

edit. FFWD to 30 secs else its just Madonna

Now Ive seen that before with beer but didn't know you can do with water too

Edited by seeder, 26 January 2013 - 08:08 PM.

It wasn’t the miners who got rich; it was the people selling picks and shovels. Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#2    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 14,120 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:07 PM

the beer version

It wasn’t the miners who got rich; it was the people selling picks and shovels. Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#3    EllJay

EllJay

Government Agent

• 3,684 posts

• Today We Are Creating Tomorrow's Yesterday

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:15 PM

If it wasnt carbonated water here is two possible explanations:

If it wasn't carbonated, it's probably the supercooling effect. This is much the same as superheating, where water doesn't boil even though it's at 100°C. If the insides of the bottles were smooth enough and the water pretty pure (mineral water should do just fine for that), there's no place for the crystallisation to start, and thus the water stays liquid. By opening the bottle, dust and such enters the bottle, and the water turns to ice.

We suspect that what's happening here is that the water in the bottles which did not freeze overnight was "supercooled." Water normally freezes when it is cooled below 0 degrees Celsius, forming ice crystals. Ice crystals form more easily when they grow on existing ice crystals -- the water molecules like to pack themselves in place on a crystal that's already gotten started. It doesn't take much to start the crystallization process going -- a little piece of dust or other impurity in the water, or even a scratch on the bottle are sometimes all it takes to get ice crystals growing. The process of starting off a crystal is called "nucleation."

In the absence of impurities in the water and imperfections in the bottle, the water can get "stuck" in its liquid state as it cools off, even below its freezing point. We say this supercooled state is "metastable." The water will stay liquid until something comes along to nucleate crystal growth. A speck of dust, or a flake of frost from the screw-cap falling into the bottle are enough to get the freezing going, and the crystals will build on each other and spread through the water in the bottle.

Water releases 80 calories per gram when turning from a liquid to a solid. We suspect your freezer is only a few degrees Celsius below zero(perhaps ten or fifteen?), and the specific heat of water is one calorie per degree per gram. This means that your water, as it freezes, warms up the rest of the water until the process stops at 0 degrees Celsius, freezing perhaps ten or twenty percent of the water. This ice may be distributed throughout the bottle, though, as the crystallization process happens very quickly and heat flows slowly.

We suspect you have slush in your bottle rather than hard ice when this is done. You can compare with another bottle which froze hard in your freezer overnight how hard it is to squeeze the bottle and how long it takes to melt. The ice will also take up more room than the water it used to be, and some water may spill out the top.

There can also be some small effects of pressure and of dissolved gases on the freezing temperature. Is your water under pressure?

http://van.physics.i...ing.php?id=1618

"Opinions are like a**holes - everyone seems to have one" - Dirty Harry

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand... "

"I have a black belt in Feng Shui, the subtle martial art. I go home to you and move a lamp and a chair... twelve years later you lay there on the floor with broken kneecaps and destitute."

#4    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 14,120 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:12 AM

still a pretty 'cool' party trick tho! Im gonna experiment on this one for sure!!

#5    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:11 PM

View Postseeder, on 26 January 2013 - 07:59 PM, said:

"Phil Sabine is puzzled by what happened when he left bottled water in his truck during freezing weather"

edit. FFWD to 30 secs else its just Madonna

Now Ive seen that before with beer but didn't know you can do with water too

Loved both the videos.. Very cool to watch... No pun intended

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users