Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Well made monster and/or alien.

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:49 PM

View PostUrisk, on 28 January 2013 - 06:49 PM, said:

What were the weird things in Bab5 called... Vorgons? Vorlons? The weird spirity things encased in an odd cybernetic "thing"...? I was never a fan of Bab 5 but those were an intriguing idea.

Graboids were pretty well-made... for a giant dusty worm.
The first wolf transformation in Company of Wolves (the skinless one).
I think the first time I saw Yoda it blew my mind, same with the banthas... but I was something like 3 years old...
The Thing!!! The puppetry of several of those gribbly beasties was insane.
Speaking of puppets- I love the Skeksis and many of the goblins from Labyrinth, incredible.
That weird giant dirt turtle thing in Never Ending Story, with all the trees growing out its shell.

And of course nothing, NO CGI will ever come close to the magic of Harryhausen's Dynamation!
Yeah I was amazed when I first saw the turtle thing in neverending story, It was basically an island...Also I think the Thing is a groundbreaking monster when it comes to how well  they did the effects good choices  :tu:

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#17    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:49 PM

I know some people might think it's lame, but the werewolves from Dog soldiers....

They scared the **** out of me, because of how realistic they where for not being CGI. It's because of how human they where that made it more disturbing for me. lol

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#18    EllJay

EllJay

Poltergeist

• 2,580 posts

• Today We Are Creating Tomorrow's Yesterday

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:12 AM

View PostCoffey, on 28 January 2013 - 11:49 PM, said:

I know some people might think it's lame, but the werewolves from Dog soldiers....

They scared the **** out of me, because of how realistic they where for not being CGI. It's because of how human they where that made it more disturbing for me. lol

Yeah, DogSoldiers was a good one. The freakiest scene was with the werewolf/dog who got in the upper bedroom. Big sucker.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by EllJay, 29 January 2013 - 12:23 AM.

"Opinions are like a**holes, everyone seems to have one" - Dirty Harry

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand... "

"I have a black belt in Feng Shui, the subtle martial art. I go home to you and move a lamp and a chair... twelve years later you lay there on the floor with broken kneecaps and destitute."

#19    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:17 PM

View PostEllJay, on 29 January 2013 - 12:12 AM, said:

Yeah, DogSoldiers was a good one. The freakiest scene was with the werewolf/dog who got in the upper bedroom. Big sucker.

That's the exact scene that gets me.

Couldn't believe it was actually a guy on stilts. lol I know it's weird but it is the scariest horror monster I have seen. All that CGI stuff doesn't scare me the same. I don't know why, but I just find the thought of that being real and acting the way they do scary as hell. lol

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#20    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,495 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:23 PM

The flying monkeys from "The Wizard of Oz" (1939)... Freaked me out as a kid...

Posted Image

(come to think of it.. the witch was pretty well done as well!)...

As an aside... for her birthday one year I got my baby sister (who is a production line foreman) a t-shirt that says "Don't make me send out my flying monkeys!"

She loves it...

Edited by Taun, 29 January 2013 - 01:35 PM.

#21    Urisk

Urisk

Smiling like a killer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts

• born to lose
    live to win

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:52 PM

They flying monkeys are a bit creepy, must admit.

View PostCoffey, on 28 January 2013 - 11:49 PM, said:

Dog Soldiers is a mighty werewolf film. Probably my favourite.

Another one, and proving the greatness of Harryhausen: Medusa from Clash of the Titans positively terrified me as a wee pup! The movements are bang-on for sickeningly and hideously ophidian (and i think snakes are great!).

And Gwangi too. I remember wondering how on earth they got cowboys to fight a dinosaur when I was a nipper... I was told that it was a robot with an escalator in it, so when the actor got "eaten" he'd slide down the escalator, exit through the tail and scamper off-screen. Seriously even though I'm talking the late 80s, this was mindblowing stuff and the film was already old!! Man, even the tine Eohippus!

CG's just too clean. There's no guts. No visceral, physical substance. Okay so stop-motion is added later, but someone has actually built the model and moved it millimetre by millimetre.

Then there's the Alien. At its best when you only see bits of it; when it doesn't just look like a skinny African dude in a fibreglass suit. I also love how it's colouration darkens as the film progresses, like an insect hardening after ecdysis.

Edited by Urisk, 29 January 2013 - 07:53 PM.

Posted Image

I have seen beyond the bounds of infinity and drawn down daemons from the stars

#22    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:15 PM

I also liked the gremlins from gremlins, that use to be one of my favorite movies when I was younger

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#23    glorybebe

glorybebe

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,708 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:40 PM

View PostEllJay, on 27 January 2013 - 12:57 AM, said:

Another was the Devil in Legend. Amongst the better monsters I have seen, and the movie is from 1985 nonetheless.

Posted Image

Posted Image

He is my favourite!  Of course Tim Curry is under all of that, making it all the more perfect IMO.

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!

#24    EllJay

EllJay

Poltergeist

• 2,580 posts

• Today We Are Creating Tomorrow's Yesterday

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:21 PM

Pyramid Head.
He can look somewhat humorous at first, but that goes away when he starts ripping people apart limb by limb.
It's not a very fanciful or spectacular mask, but it is unnerving in a WTF-is-that-for-kind-of-a-thing-and-WTH-does-he-have-on-his-head-OMG-he-is-gonna-kill-me kind of way.

Posted Image
Posted Image

*Viewer Discretion Is Advised*

"Opinions are like a**holes, everyone seems to have one" - Dirty Harry

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand... "

"I have a black belt in Feng Shui, the subtle martial art. I go home to you and move a lamp and a chair... twelve years later you lay there on the floor with broken kneecaps and destitute."

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users