Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Obama: Gun-control advocates have to listen

• Please log in to reply
178 replies to this topic

#16    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 3,535 posts

• "The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:49 AM

View PostCRYSiiSx2, on 27 January 2013 - 07:30 AM, said:

throw out the 2nd amendment, throw out the first.

That was meant facetiously, I suppose?

Might as well throw out the 13th.

#17    Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:51 AM

View PostLikely Guy, on 27 January 2013 - 07:49 AM, said:

As long as I am alive, no one shall deny me my right and my precious constitution. Even if they outlaw it, I will create a militia and central government to enshrine it. Till my last dying breath, I will protect it with my life. I only got one question for my fellow Americans, are you with me on this?

Edited by Uncle Sam, 27 January 2013 - 07:53 AM.

A man's ethical behaviour should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death. - Albert Einstein

#18    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:52 AM

If I'm wrong, please educate. Where is the organized militia?

Well that would be just silly to discuss on an open forum board. But I digress. Its everywhere and anywhere. As evidenced by the number of gun owning families in America.

In  no time except the Civil War and not since did we as Americans believe we would have to defend the Constitution by force. Nor overthrow our Govmnt. But the ball is quickly rolling downhill for many..

Edited by AsteroidX, 27 January 2013 - 07:55 AM.

#19    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:57 AM

No thats a very real reason why the 2nd Amendment is necessary to preserve.

#20    Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam

Psychic Spy

• 1,111 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:59 AM

View PostAsteroidX, on 27 January 2013 - 07:52 AM, said:

Well that would be just silly to discuss on an open forum board. But I digress. Its everywhere and anywhere. As evidenced by the number of gun owning families in America.

In  no time except the Civil War and not since did we as Americans believe we would have to defend the Constitution by force. Nor overthrow our Govmnt. But the ball is quickly rolling downhill for many..

It is growing evidence we might have to resort to force to protect our constitution that founded this nation, distorted by the politicians that are suppose to protect it, by the schools who suppose to teach it, and the media who are suppose to report abuses to it. Never before have we as Americans are facing a grave danger from our very own government that is infringe upon our rights without little to no resistance.

A man's ethical behaviour should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death. - Albert Einstein

#21    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 3,535 posts

• "The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:00 AM

View PostHasina, on 27 January 2013 - 07:47 AM, said:

Hardy, p. 1237. "Early Americans wrote of the right in light of three considerations: (1) as auxiliary to a natural right of self-defense; (2) as enabling an armed people to deter undemocratic government; and (3) as enabling the people to organize a militia system."

Malcolm, "That Every Man Be Armed," pp. 452, 466. "The Second Amendment reflects traditional English attitudes toward these three distinct, but intertwined, issues: the right of the individual to protect his life, the challenge to government of an armed citizenry, and the preference for a militia over a standing army. The framers' attempt to address all three in a single declarative sentence has contributed mightily to the subsequent confusion over the proper interpretation of the Second Amendment."

Merkel and Uviller, pp. 62, 179 ff, 183, 188 ff, 306. "[T]he right to bear arms was articulated as a civic right inextricably linked to the civic obligation to bear arms for the public defense."

BUT, not against your own government? That's usually called treason at worst, or insurrection at best.

I'm not a constitutional expert, but people in the US believe that armed revolution is a right that was written into the constitution? Really?

#22    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,028 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:01 AM

View PostUncle Sam, on 27 January 2013 - 07:49 AM, said:

You are exactly right on that subject. It's nice to see people who have an understanding what the 2nd Amendment means.
It's this part I'm surprised no one understands:

'A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.'

Does everyone in Washington need to go back to elementary school to have vocubaulary explained to them again? (The answer is: yes)

Posted Image

~MEH~

#23    acidhead

acidhead

Were Not Your Slaves!

• 10,156 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:02 AM

Americans are being ****ed in the ass.... by the same GOV that sends its children to war.... it's a joke.

"there is no wrong or right - just popular opinion"

#24    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 10,406 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:02 AM

As something of a half-assed Buddhist, I think having a gun around is terrible for your karma.  You are just inviting all sorts of bad things to happen.

Anyone who has a suicidal impulse is far more likely to succeed.  A fight is far more likely to turn deadly.  No matter how careful one is a moment of inattention and children may play with it.  If a thief finds it, especially if you hold it on him, he will take it from you and kill you.  I'm just getting started; I can't believe how stupid Americans are about guns and their ridiculous myth that gun possession is freedom.

#25    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:03 AM

It is growing evidence we might have to resort to force to protect our constitution that founded this nation, distorted by the politicians that are suppose to protect it, by the schools who suppose to teach it, and the media who are suppose to report abuses to it. Never before have we as Americans are facing a grave danger from our very own government that is infringe upon our rights without little to no resistance.

I agree and the folks I talk with are there as well.

The Liberals still think they can change things over time . Even they see the need for the change however.

The Hacker community has already declared open war on the Government for its abuses.

So yeah were not far

#26    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:05 AM

Likely Guy the answer you seek is in the 2nd paragraph of the Declaration of Independence. I can only say one should read the whole document and not just an exerp to understand what patience and greivance mean. To me that is written in a past, present, and future tense.

But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.--Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government.

Edited by AsteroidX, 27 January 2013 - 08:06 AM.

#27    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,028 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:07 AM

View PostLikely Guy, on 27 January 2013 - 08:00 AM, said:

BUT, not against your own government? That's usually called treason at worst, or insurrection at best.

I'm not a constitutional expert, but people in the US believe that armed revolution is a right that was written into the constitution? Really?
Our government is 'by the people and for the people'. What do we do when the government is no longer by it's people and for it's people? It's there in case of.

It's like when Superman gave Batman some kryptonite in case he went rogue. He knew Bats didn't need it, why would Supes ever go rogue? He's nicer then grandma and sweeter then Girl Scout cookies (if you're not a villain). Why? Because Superman knew there had to be an alternative for everything. He also knew given Batman's more paranoid view on things (much like a civilian here in the US) having the feeling of protection is good for the team (Supes and Bats; the government and the people).

Edited by Hasina, 27 January 2013 - 08:08 AM.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#28    Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam

Psychic Spy

• 1,111 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:11 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 27 January 2013 - 08:02 AM, said:

As something of a half-assed Buddhist, I think having a gun around is terrible for your karma.  You are just inviting all sorts of bad things to happen.

Anyone who has a suicidal impulse is far more likely to succeed.  A fight is far more likely to turn deadly.  No matter how careful one is a moment of inattention and children may play with it.  If a thief finds it, especially if you hold it on him, he will take it from you and kill you.  I'm just getting started; I can't believe how stupid Americans are about guns and their ridiculous myth that gun possession is freedom.

Criminals regardless if we have guns or not, will find them on the black market or smuggle them in from other countries. It is your short sightedness that will be your undoing. Besides your from vietnam, you have no say in what our constitution should have or not have.

Edited by Uncle Sam, 27 January 2013 - 08:13 AM.

#29    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 3,535 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:16 AM

View PostAsteroidX, on 27 January 2013 - 08:05 AM, said:

Likely Guy the answer you seek is in the 2nd paragraph of the Declaration of Independence. I can only say one should read the whole document and not just an exerp to understand what patience and greivance mean. To me that is written in a past, present, and future tense.

And that was the Declaration of Independence, written expressly in reference to the British Empire. Not your own government. I may be wrong. Please educate me.

#30    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:18 AM

I disagree that it was written specifically for the British Government. It was written to them yes. But it expresses the morals and values of the writers of both the Declaration and Constitution (many of whom wrote and signed both). It is a legacy document. Not a one shot article sent overseas.

Legally I dont know if it holds any weight but morally and sensibly it holds much

Edited by AsteroidX, 27 January 2013 - 08:19 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users