Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 5 votes

Photography Challenge

• Please log in to reply
628 replies to this topic

#346    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 3,087 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 05:51 PM

On the topic of webs:

Posted Image

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

#347    Fstop

Fstop

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:13 PM

Do we have a tree topic yet?  If we don't we should.  So here ya go....a tree.

Posted Image
Sycamore with Sunstar by orangepeaceful79, on Flickr

We don’t see things as they are. We see things as we are. – Anais Nin

#348    Fstop

Fstop

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:16 PM

View PostArchimedes, on 04 May 2013 - 05:51 PM, said:

On the topic of webs:

Posted Image
REally nice shot here. great fine detail.

#349    ChrLzs

ChrLzs

Just a contributor..

• 3,240 posts

• I only floccinaucinihilipilificate
    when it IS worthless...

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:49 PM

Nice shots, Fstop.  And on the theme/s of Blue (and backlit leaves) here's an old one of mine, taken back in the days of film (hence those strange little round spots - ironically the slide has water damage..)
Posted Image
Fujichrome, Pentax 50mm f1.7.

All my posts about Apollo are dedicated to the memory of MID - who knew, lived and was an integral part of, Apollo.

"Like the JFK assassination conspiracy theories, the UFO issue probably will not go away soon, no matter what the CIA does or says. The belief that we are not alone in the universe is too emotionally appealing and the distrust of our government is too pervasive to make the issue amenable to traditional scientific studies or rational explanation and evidence." - Gerald K Haines

#350    ChrLzs

ChrLzs

Just a contributor..

• 3,240 posts

when it IS worthless...

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:58 PM

And after FStop's tree silhouette, this is one of my favorites, again playing with exposures.  It was taken near midday on a sunny day...
Posted Image
Kodachrome 64, Tamron 28-50, polariser+ND

All my posts about Apollo are dedicated to the memory of MID - who knew, lived and was an integral part of, Apollo.

"Like the JFK assassination conspiracy theories, the UFO issue probably will not go away soon, no matter what the CIA does or says. The belief that we are not alone in the universe is too emotionally appealing and the distrust of our government is too pervasive to make the issue amenable to traditional scientific studies or rational explanation and evidence." - Gerald K Haines

#351    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

dimple

• 10,116 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:07 PM

View PostProfessor T, on 01 May 2013 - 02:44 AM, said:

New Topic.. Angel hair..
(ok, that's cobwebs)

Angelhair is one of those known but once unknown phenomena that occurs occasionally in some parts of the world but is rarely noticed or observed..

This morning we started getting lot's of angel hair falling from the sky.. Here's some that accumulated on the clothesline.. It's Damn hard to photograph, had to pull out my Olympus for this shot.. It's a very fine web, very delicate, it melts in your hand..
These webs (been watching them all morning) are 1-5 meters long. It's quite a remarkable thing to see. But so damn hard to photograph happening.

Posted Image
Hi Prof. :st  How are you? Haven't seen you for a long time.
I think this is the nearest spiders can get to flying. It's a method of travelling long(ish) distances without having to walk! They make the long thread then wait for the wind to catch it and away they go. The thread also ensures they never get blown too high or far away as it quickly gets caught on something

Life is all too much ............................................. and not enough.

It is only when you form your question precisely and accurately that you receive the true answer.

#352    Oppono Astos

Oppono Astos

Overlord of Delgon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:49 AM

POPULAR

(Former) Trees on the beach at Ness Point, Suffolk UK
Posted Image

Posted Image

Who is the skeptic: the realist who won't accept belief, or the believer who won't accept reality?

#353    Fstop

Fstop

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:26 PM

View PostOppono Astos, on 05 May 2013 - 10:49 AM, said:

(Former) Trees on the beach at Ness Point, Suffolk UK
Posted Image

Posted Image
You've made some lovely compositional choices in both these shots.  Very balanced and harmonious.  Nicely done :tu:

#354    Oppono Astos

Oppono Astos

Overlord of Delgon

• 2,094 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 01:52 PM

Thx.  Sadly the top one can no longer be captured again, that tree stump (I tended to call it the Sentinel) had been on that beach - between the tide marks - for years, but when I was up there May 2012 it had gone.

Who is the skeptic: the realist who won't accept belief, or the believer who won't accept reality?

#355    Fstop

Fstop

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 02:54 PM

View PostOppono Astos, on 05 May 2013 - 01:52 PM, said:

Thx.  Sadly the top one can no longer be captured again, that tree stump (I tended to call it the Sentinel) had been on that beach - between the tide marks - for years, but when I was up there May 2012 it had gone.

Nothing is permanent.  Its great that you captured it so skilfully.

#356    Professor T

Professor T

Λ Ο Δ, 2222

• 2,465 posts

• I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:52 AM

View Postouija ouija, on 04 May 2013 - 10:07 PM, said:

Hi Prof. :st  How are you? Haven't seen you for a long time.
I think this is the nearest spiders can get to flying. It's a method of travelling long(ish) distances without having to walk! They make the long thread then wait for the wind to catch it and away they go. The thread also ensures they never get blown too high or far away as it quickly gets caught on something

Hi Ouija..
Yeah, the threads are superfine, and in some cases super long.. The poor wee spiders however did find themselves flying super high, well at least their threads did.. It was fascinating watching this about 4-5 years ago when we had a about 10 times as much angelhair. The thing about it is you hardly ever see the spiders because they're just so small, it can be a bit spooky if you don't know what's going on.

#357    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 3,087 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:59 PM

A submission for both "trees" and "blue":

Posted Image

I thought I had some photos of some interesting looking gnarly ancient trees, but I can't find them.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

#358    jules99

jules99

Psychic Spy

• 1,049 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:10 AM

Trees

Posted Image

#359    ChrLzs

ChrLzs

Just a contributor..

• 3,240 posts

when it IS worthless...

Posted 11 May 2013 - 12:44 PM

OK, trees, blue, shadows...
Posted Image
Lamington National Park Road, Qld, after a quite heavy sunshower..

OK, so I overdid the saturation a little, but the road really was bluish.. :)

#360    DKO

DKO

Ω is Futile.

• 1,837 posts

• When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:12 AM

Just got back from my trip to Phuket and Singapore. Took a few amateur camera photos.

Trees.

Just some trees growing inside Singapore airport:

Posted Image

Went ATV riding through the jungle in Phuket. We were told after we paid that if we crashed into any of the rubber trees we would have to pay money to the Thai mafia, who owns them all. Lucky most of the paths weren't that close to them.

Posted Image

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users