Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Guns Targetted at New Generation

• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#1    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,283 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:03 PM

NY Times said:

Threatened by long-term declining participation in shooting sports, the firearms industry has poured millions of dollars into a broad campaign to ensure its future by getting guns into the hands of more, and younger, children.

The industry’s strategies include giving firearms, ammunition and cash to youth groups; weakening state restrictions on hunting by young children; marketing an affordable military-style rifle for “junior shooters” and sponsoring semiautomatic-handgun competitions for youths; and developing a target-shooting video game that promotes brand-name weapons, with links to the Web sites of their makers.

The pages of Junior Shooters, an industry-supported magazine that seeks to get children involved in the recreational use of firearms, once featured a smiling 15-year-old girl clutching a semiautomatic rifle. At the end of an accompanying article that extolled target shooting with a Bushmaster AR-15 — an advertisement elsewhere in the magazine directed readers to a coupon for buying one — the author encouraged youngsters to share the article with a parent.

Read more

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#2    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,744 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:47 PM

"The industry’s strategies include giving firearms, ammunition and cash to youth groups"...........and the youth groups are accepting this with open arms?
Do the parents know what is happening and do they have a say about it? Chances are many will welcome it, but it should be down to the parent to teach  their child about guns, it should be down the parent if they feel they want their child to be a part of this, but Looks like no matter what the parents feel, this multi million dollar company are going to do whatever it takes to make sure they stay a multi million/ billion dollar company.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#3    Professor Buzzkill

Professor Buzzkill

Integrity is all we have

• 2,583 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:35 PM

And this is a problem because?

I think its a problem because it doesn't fit your world view that millions of people are being responcible with the very weapons you consider evil.

#4    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:43 PM

Looks like there trying to teach kids responsible gun ownership. Wasnt that the the original complaint ?

#5    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,392 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:34 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 27 January 2013 - 06:47 PM, said:

"The industry’s strategies include giving firearms, ammunition and cash to youth groups"...........and the youth groups are accepting this with open arms?
Do the parents know what is happening and do they have a say about it? Chances are many will welcome it, but it should be down to the parent to teach  their child about guns, it should be down the parent if they feel they want their child to be a part of this, but Looks like no matter what the parents feel, this multi million dollar company are going to do whatever it takes to make sure they stay a multi million/ billion dollar company.
There isn't anything irresponsible about this. In fact it'll just teach kids how to be responsible with weapons instead. And I would guaran-goddamn-tee that parents would be directly involved with this, especially concerning consent.

Posted Image

#6    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,834 posts

• The objective of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the other son of a b**** die for his!
    -Patton

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:42 PM

I don't see anything "wrong" with this. They are promoting guns as something fun and cool. It's their right as an industry to do. Having said that, I think it's equally ok to promote a lack of guns as cool.

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent."

----Seraphina

#7    TheOtherSide1945

TheOtherSide1945

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 106 posts

• "Some men just want to see the world burn" Alfred

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:47 PM

OP what is your point here? If you are trying to say that teaching kids about guns is bad thing, you truly would be a gigantic idiot.

#8    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,392 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:48 PM

They are fun. I don't go to the shooting range out of a sense of duty. I go for fun. In the right settings under the proper supervision there is nothing wrong with this. It'll teach proper handling and respect for the arm.

Posted Image

#9    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 6,744 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:49 PM

View Post-Mr_Fess-, on 27 January 2013 - 08:34 PM, said:

There isn't anything irresponsible about this. In fact it'll just teach kids how to be responsible with weapons instead. And I would guaran-goddamn-tee that parents would be directly involved with this, especially concerning consent.
In my post i was initially going to put the word teach to indicate the multi million dollar companies aim, but it does not indicate that it will be teaching the children, what it will be doing is promoting their products and the teaching side will still be down to the parents and 'youth groups'.
I wanted to know what the parents thought, but you have answered that with your guaran-goddam-tee, lol.
Correct me if I am wrong (I know you will) but isn`t what the multi million dollar company doing, the opposite of what Obama wants, or is it exactly what he wants to see happen?

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#10    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 6,744 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:52 PM

View PostTheOtherSide1945, on 27 January 2013 - 08:47 PM, said:

OP what is your point here? If you are trying to say that teaching kids about guns is bad thing, you truly would be a gigantic idiot.
But it does not indicate they will be teaching the kids, that will still be down to the parents and youth clubs, What they are doing is promoting their products.
It may be a good thing, or they might just be taking advantage of the recent bad events to improve their profits.

Edited by freetoroam, 27 January 2013 - 08:53 PM.

#11    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:59 PM

Im going to go out on a limb here and if its being promoted by the NRA at this juncture in time it is NOT what Obama and especially Lord Cuomo and his Arch Duke Bloomberg want. Which is makes it more then  likely this is being chosen as an agitative stance by the NRA then anything to do with kids/gunsd/responsibility etc.

Why...Because of the Draconian Gun Laws passed there very recently. Its called tit for tat. Welcome to the political section.

#12    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,392 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:29 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 27 January 2013 - 08:49 PM, said:

In my post i was initially going to put the word teach to indicate the multi million dollar companies aim, but it does not indicate that it will be teaching the children, what it will be doing is promoting their products and the teaching side will still be down to the parents and 'youth groups'.
I wanted to know what the parents thought, but you have answered that with your guaran-goddam-tee, lol.
Correct me if I am wrong (I know you will) but isn`t what the multi million dollar company doing, the opposite of what Obama wants, or is it exactly what he wants to see happen?
Companies promoting their products through sporting competitions. Hmm, how unheard of.
I'm not a parent but I know the answer. Different parents will have different opinions as varied as they are here.
It sure sounds like the opposite of what they want. But like asteroid just said, that's the game. Besides that though, it isn't Obamas business what that company does within the law which is what drives Obama though and that is creating law based on what he thinks not necessarily wether it's effective or reasonable. So long as it feels good is the liberal way. Act on emotion, not reason.

Edited by -Mr_Fess-, 27 January 2013 - 09:29 PM.

Posted Image

#13    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:36 PM

Itleast while playing the political game they are showing maturity by doing the teaching/responsibility/gun safety thing.

If I were to choose a moral high ground for myself and my child I know where Id stand.

#14    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 10,989 posts

• "dirt collects at the interfaces"

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:34 AM

View PostProfessor Buzzkill, on 27 January 2013 - 07:35 PM, said:

And this is a problem because?

As I understand it, it is illegal for anyone under 18 to own a firearm.

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#15    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:36 AM

As I understand it, it is illegal for anyone under 18 to own a firearm.

Purchase not own. With the new laws ownership will be included. That means no more taking your son hunting a father son bonding ritual for some for generations extending back to the origin of this country. If you need a connection to the relevancy of the Constitution to todays world theres one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users