Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Makings of a believer

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16    eight bits

eight bits

• 6,673 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:39 AM

Sheri

Indeed 8ty because we can't and do not know how it could of been, we can not do anything about the "past" arguing about it is moot/ineffective! What we see/experience now and how that is playing out is what can be addressed and what can be changed..

The song from Rent, No Day but Today, is half right. Regrets about yesterday are completely wasted, but tomorrow is another day, and if I get my act together today, then tomorrow just might be a better day :) .

IamsSon

The churches that either actively discourage serious study, or that make it seem unnecessary are the ones that end up developing "Christians" who are caught up in rote, ritual, and dogma.

I am unsure what churches you are referring to. Catholic, Orthodox and Anglican churches, for example, propose studying the Bible along with additional scholarship as well. They're not the only churches with this perspective, but they are the largest Christian denominations, and about two out of three living Christians belong to one of those three. Even Lutherans, whose founder coined the phrase sola scriptura, often supplement their Bible reading with critical and interpretive commentary, some of it written by Luther himself.

ranrod

I argue most organized religions are about not solving problems, often compound problems, and I'm exploring the possibility of approaching spiritual matters from a more self-aware manner.  The conditioning perpetuate some problems, impedes progress in many ways.  Having spirituality is fine, but let's put it in the right context.

I agree that there is a potential for a religion to create or aggravate the problem which it purports to solve, like the bar that serves salty snacks for free. If that problem were salient, then it would seem easy enough to address it directly. It doesn't follow that the product is defective because the marketing is dubious; the bar probably does serve beverages that quench thirst.

Apart from that, however, it is dicey to propose that adults aren't typically making choices that suit them in their actual current situation. By all means, you personally should explore this domain with whatever strategy impresses you as promising. It is not obvious, however, that there's anything wrong with people whose strategies differ from yours.

Posted Image

#17    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 16,174 posts

• Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:34 AM

View Postranrod, on 31 January 2013 - 01:42 AM, said:

But you are speaking for yourself.  If you make excellent moral choices without religion, having religion is not going to change that.  If we look at large populations, things turn out differently.  Pablo Escobar was a devout Catholic Christian and saw no contradictions between his actions and his religion.  You seem to assume everyone has your same thought process.  The bible opens the door for too many heinous acts, and justifies them by stating God's will is above human law, and that people should answer to God above all else.  One in a thousand people being influenced by the bible in the worse way possible is enough to ruin life for everyone else.  A lot of people are on the verge of dangerous behavior and the bible tends to push them the wrong way.

I am an ordinary human being. My biology genetics and neurology is not basically different from any one elses. What i have learned, anyone can be taught or can learn. I disagree with yourr conclusion about the bible. It is just one set of values ethics and moralities. Basically it is a good, constructive a set of values and ethics but it was written 2000-4000 years ago, so of course it needs being modernised. And most  variants of christianity i deal with actually do this . They preach a social gospel. It is why religion in Australia is seen as an asset, and why educated  people here are more religious than non educated ones  (they see the human benefits of the forms of religion practised in Australia.)

IF one in a thousand people is influenced by the bible in a negative way, then many more are influenced by it in positive ways. Today christianity is far and away a positive influence in net terms. That ranges from the great social good it does for communities, to the  comfort, peace and strength, it gives to individuals. A lot of people are on the verge of being lost, or on the verge of dangerous/destructive behaviours, and the message of the  bible tips them away from that outcome.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world..

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#18    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:40 AM

View PostIamsSon, on 28 January 2013 - 03:38 AM, said:

So, basically, religious people are unthinking, rote-following, people incapable of reasoning, and the Christians are apparently so stupid they can't even see obvious contradictions in their Bible.

LOL, yes basically that sums it up. Religion is a convenient excuse to stop thinking by yourself.
To their credit, we should acknowledge that Christians at least do not kill apostates and critics of the book such as another major religion demands.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users