Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Older brain 'too full' for new memories

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,090 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:13 PM

Age-related learning difficulties could be attributed to the fact that we simply run out of memory space.

New York Times said:

Learning becomes more difficult as we age not because we have trouble absorbing new information, but because we fail to forget the old stuff, researchers say.

Posted Image Read more...

#2    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,405 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:24 PM

I read today that good sleep is needed to retain new memories and that the difficulties some older people have getting such sleep explains it.

I dunno.  I'm getting on there and my memory is fine.  I think you gotta exercise it just like you gotta exercise your muscles.

#3    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,903 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:28 PM

Huh? What was the question?

Edited by ealdwita, 28 January 2013 - 12:28 PM.

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#4    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 16,458 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:33 PM

There was a question?

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

Posted Image

#5    Order66

Order66

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts

• The hate is swelling in you now. Take your Jedi weapon. Use it. I am unarmed. Strike me down with it. Give in to your anger ...

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:42 PM

I saw a really good documentary on the subject:

http://youtu.be/uIbFXwWJdMk?t=1m

Posted Image

#6    theSOURCE

theSOURCE

Alien Abducter

• 4,450 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

Ahh! So now I know the real meaning of being full of it.

#7    WoIverine

WoIverine

Telekinetic

• 6,721 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:41 PM

Wonder if memory enhancing drugs or herbals would lend a hand to this.

Side Note: I've been using Lumosity.com to assist with memory, speed, and overall cognition, those games on the site are pretty fun. It's part of the human cognition research project. Also, when Einstein died, it was said his brain was similar to that of a young man. I wonder if that was a result of his "thought expirements"?

Edited by WoIverine, 28 January 2013 - 02:44 PM.

#8    Pssst

Pssst

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:49 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 28 January 2013 - 12:24 PM, said:

I read today that good sleep is needed to retain new memories and that the difficulties some older people have getting such sleep explains it.

I dunno.  I'm getting on there and my memory is fine.  I think you gotta exercise it just like you gotta exercise your muscles.

Which could be the reason why Albert Einstein's brain looked like that of a young man when he died at 76 years of age. :)

#9    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,405 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:56 PM

Poor Einstein though did his great work in his twenties, got famous, and then got stuck trying to solve a problem that is still unsolved.

#10    Avant

Avant

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 126 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:54 AM

I've been telling my wife for years that I can't retain everything she tells me - now I have an excuse! Hooray for Science

I could use a defragging I think?

Edited by Avant, 29 January 2013 - 06:55 AM.

#11    Xanthurion2

Xanthurion2

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

• Valar morghulis

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:15 AM

i knew it! i proposed this hypothesis myself once but i didn't have the means to test it. now i don't have to.

SRS

#12    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 5,007 posts

• I might have been born yesterday but, I've been up all night.

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:15 AM

My Mom's 75 and a geneaologist. She can recount up to 13 generations of family history and stories which includes over 150 family names.

My nephew gives her computer advice (because she faithfully has given it and retrieves it online, for as long as there has been an internet) about how to delete her cookies, maintain her computer, or such. She tells him, "I don't need to know that, that's why you're here."

Edited by Likely Guy, 29 January 2013 - 07:21 AM.

#13    Jinxdom

Jinxdom

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

• Education...has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
    -- G.M. Trevelyan

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:44 AM

I'm hard pressed to decide what is the cause and effect for this. Like that whole protein ratio thing, what also changes from childhood to adulthood is how often we learn new things and have new experiences

Could be the more things we learn and the more things we experience the sharper our minds will be, and if we avoid it then our minds would dull and our memory capacity would decrease.

#14    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,405 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:17 AM

Like I said, to keep your brain going you need to exercise it.  I don't mean just reading things (although that helps) but leaning things.  Study something that requires memorization.  Learn something new.  Do this with the same deliberate intent that causes you to go out and take your morning walk, or go to the gym, or whatever it is you do to get exercise for your body.

If sleep is a problem (and sleep is needed to move memories from short-term to long-term memory), try meditation and prayer, in quiet circumstances, where you rehearse what you are learning, or even just periods of listening to quiet orchestral music (music with singing doesn't work for this).

My word I'm full of it today; it's just that I know it works.

#15    AquilaChrysaetos

AquilaChrysaetos

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

• "Some people wish to be the sun, so they can brighten your day. I wish to be the moon, which shines down upon you in your darkest hour."

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:44 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 28 January 2013 - 12:24 PM, said:

I dunno. I'm getting on there and my memory is fine. I think you gotta exercise it just like you gotta exercise your muscles.

^this

Something else may pop up a few years later that suggests otherwise. You never really know.

Jesus Christ - Matthew 28:18-20 said:

"All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users