Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Help Needed Computer Problem

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16    BiffSplitkins

BiffSplitkins

Vertically Challenged

• 6,977 posts

• We all have a song inside us, it tells us who we are.

'John Doeber' fellow musician

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:19 PM

View PostExpandMyMind, on 29 January 2013 - 10:52 AM, said:

Ahh. If you look on Cnet, they have loads of free converters of all kinds.
Most of which come with adware or malware. Cnet is not what it used to be.

BM - is there a possiblity that there was a windows update recently that updated your video card drivers? I have seen cases in the past where Microsoft thinks it can write a better driver than the actual manufacturer's driver. Once the MS driver is installed it wreaks havoc on the PC.

Also, have you tried some of your other software to see if your computer crashes while using it?

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Posted Image

#17    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:31 PM

Aye but you just have to choose not to download the extra software. It is annoying but it's still a decent site for software.

#18    SurgeTechnologies

SurgeTechnologies

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,228 posts

• "Why not take what seems to me the only chance of escaping what is otherwise the sure destruction"

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:39 PM

Main reason is codec problem, second might be Player.

Try this: Codec pack

or download this player far better than anything out there and it is free.

Had the same problem for .mkv files.. everytime i wanted to watch any file that ended with .mkv computer turn itself down...at time i thought it was virus but it wasnt.
I cant explain how does that work, that file can shutdown a computer, but if both solutions dont work.. let me know.

" Technology has exceeded our humanity. "

#19    the-Unexpected-Soul

the-Unexpected-Soul

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:20 PM

search google for "Any video Converter" this is the name of the app, it converts everything and it's free, no watermarks or anything, maybe a little ad when you hit converte

Posted Image

#20    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,193 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:49 PM

View PostOrcseeker, on 29 January 2013 - 01:02 AM, said:

It sounds like a problem with your power supply. The problem being it can't provide enough power over a certain amount of time or during or as a result of a high load process like this file conversion. As a result, it cuts out completely. Resulting in your computer then turning off.

View PostParanormalcy, on 29 January 2013 - 06:41 AM, said:

I have that happen too and I have a 650w power supply for a computer I know doesn't require nearly that, and it has happened with Format Factory but a few other programs as well. My issue is that the fan has stopped working in my power supply. I didn't know it was possible, but the power supply can work for over a year (like mine) without a working fan. Not a good idea, but it can.

I have enough airflow and other fans and heatsinks in my case and generally not enough workload that my computer does not produce enough heat to require much of such a large power supply, but when it DOES need it, the power supply simply can't handle it, and it shuts down. It did it a couple of hours ago while I was doing nothing, simply because it has warmed up here, and it just overheated because of ambient temperature.

My PC works best when it is cold in here. I've gotten it to fully convert files by turning the heat down, taking the side off the PC and pointing a high powered fan directly into it while it converts. I know it sounds like one of those "recharge your batteries with a pickle" troll science pranks, but I verify this firsthand.

Either you or a computer-savvy friend needs to take the side(s) off your computer and boot it up and make sure all your fans are running, especially the power supply - mine runs occasionally but stops then starts again. There are also many free programs like Speedfan that will display the temperatures of various internal components of your computer, such as the CPU, Power supply, memory, fans - providing the sensor leads are connected properly.

@ Orcseeker and  'Paranormalcy... My power supply in my computer is an 800w, so I thought that would be enough.... I did check all the fans in the computer, except the one in the power supply, so I will have to give that a check and report back to let you guys know

View PostMr Right Wing, on 29 January 2013 - 08:32 AM, said:

Automatic shutdowns happen when your pc overheats or if something isnt plugged in properly.

Check your memory cards are fully in, your fans are plugged in and when turned on they're rotating.

Yes everything is ok with those

View PostBiffSplitkins, on 29 January 2013 - 01:19 PM, said:

Most of which come with adware or malware. Cnet is not what it used to be.

BM - is there a possiblity that there was a windows update recently that updated your video card drivers? I have seen cases in the past where Microsoft thinks it can write a better driver than the actual manufacturer's driver. Once the MS driver is installed it wreaks havoc on the PC.

Also, have you tried some of your other software to see if your computer crashes while using it?

Yes, it only crashes with this one programme - Format Factory

View PostTesla II, on 29 January 2013 - 01:39 PM, said:

Main reason is codec problem, second might be Player.

Try this: Codec pack

or download this player far better than anything out there and it is free.

Had the same problem for .mkv files.. everytime i wanted to watch any file that ended with .mkv computer turn itself down...at time i thought it was virus but it wasnt.
I cant explain how does that work, that file can shutdown a computer, but if both solutions dont work.. let me know.

I must take a wee look at that Codec Pack and let you know...

View PostExpandMyMind, on 29 January 2013 - 10:52 AM, said:

Ahh. If you look on Cnet, they have loads of free converters of all kinds.

Thanks for that, I will be sure to look at that

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 29 January 2013 - 07:52 PM.

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#21    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,664 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:49 PM

Hmm yes Forgot to mention overheating can cause it to switch off to avoid damage to your computer. However the PSU could still be faulty.

Have you tried installing the program speedfan as mentioned by paranormalcy?

Run the program and the other one which makes your computer crash and report back any high temperatures you see and we will check if it is high enough for the computer to switch itself off.

#22    stevemagegod

stevemagegod

Psychic Spy

• 1,143 posts

• "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind"-Neil Armstrong

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:28 AM

Don't convert to AVI, that takes up a **** ton of space on your computer. Convert it to SWF Format(takes up the least Disk space) with Wondershare Free Video Converter.

#23    Timonthy

Timonthy

Placid

• 1,753 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:41 AM

It could just be tw CPU overheating with too high load. Converting video takes a lot of CPU power.
If the program uses the GPU as well then the issue could e with that.

5 mins and turning off under high load is characteristic of overheating. You could run a diagnostic on temperatures while you try to convert to see where the issue is. Probably the easiest thing to rule out too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users