Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

jersey devil alien?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16    psyche101

psyche101

The Customer.

• 38,369 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:08 AM

The Jersey Devil did not exist. In 1734 Ben Franklin wrote a article in his 'Pennsylvania Gazette' parodying witch trials. He based his story in  Burlington County (the Pine Barrens) and had the witch give birth to a "devil child". In 1735 ( The legendary birthdate of the Jersey Devil ) The 'London Daily Gazette' printed the article as truth. Ben, having a warped sense of humor, then grabbed the rumor and spread it. He stated the woman was a Leeds to mock his competitor Daniel Leeds who lived in Burlington County ( the Pine Barrens).

If it never existed, it is not an alien.

However Welcome to UM, I do like your avatar, and your nick! Quite a fan myself :D I like the ideal of TARDIS space travel more than I like the idea of Star Trek warp personally.

Edited by psyche101, 30 January 2013 - 06:10 AM.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#17    Jacques Terreur

Jacques Terreur

Poltergeist

• 2,443 posts

• "I'm Garth Marenghi.
    Author. Dreamweaver. Visionary. Plus Actor."

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:31 AM

View Postthe dalek killer, on 28 January 2013 - 07:15 PM, said:

hello im new to this site

i just watched the episode of destination truth with the alien mummies
in the episode they found a weird humanoid body which they could not identify
but its small stature and hoofed feet made it seem similar to the jersey devil at least to me

what do you think
Aaaah, Destination Truth. I like that show, because Josh and his team are like a Marx Brothers version of Indiana Jones...;) Don't take what they show you TOO seriously, it's by far more TV entertainment than facts-presenting documentary. There are reports for a huge variety of creatures out there, some of them may be true, others are made up, who knows. But the more claims of sightings there are, the more likely it is that some features of a described entity resemble another one. Like hoofs instead of feet. As far as i'm concerned, the Jersey Devil is nothing more but folklore, which, sadly, can be said about most "cryptids".

#18    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:17 PM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 28 January 2013 - 09:25 PM, said:

Why must everything unknown these days be alien?
Even Bigfoot's supposed to be an alien.

Because that's all that's left once you realize that there's absolutely no evidence of a 300-year-old flying horse beast in the forests of New Jersey.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users