Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Your Religion

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1    manbearpigg

manbearpigg

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:16 PM

Just out of curiosity,

1) What is your religion (or the lack of)?
2) What makes it THE religion to have faith in?
3) What caused you to believe in that religion?
4) What is the fundamental message in your religion?

example:

1) Agnostic or a personal form of it (no absolute truth)
2) I believe the first step towards TRUTH is to deny all lies or assumptions and take only viable facts.
3) All other religions have the same basic flaw of assumption and absolutes (maybe except Buddhism)
4) Do unto others, only adhere to logical premises.

I'm really curious guys and this is not a thread to bash on others, purely informative.

#2    Mr.United_Nations

Mr.United_Nations

hi

• 9,304 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:17 PM

There is no right religon, cant say one is better

#3    The Id3al Experience

The Id3al Experience

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

• "Live with cause and leave results to the great law of the universe"

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:26 PM

View Postmanbearpigg, on 29 January 2013 - 10:16 PM, said:

Just out of curiosity,

example:

1) Agnostic or a personal form of it (no absolute truth)
2) I believe the first step towards TRUTH is to deny all lies or assumptions and take only viable facts.
3) All other religions have the same basic flaw of assumption and absolutes (maybe except Buddhism)
4) Do unto others, only adhere to logical premises.

I'm really curious guys and this is not a thread to bash on others, purely informative.

1) What is your religion (or the lack of)? - Buddhism (Zen) - Personal differences of course (more a philosphy)
2) What makes it THE religion to have faith in? -  I would say mainly because it is a phiosophy of the self. Not some God and his rules.
3) What caused you to believe in that religion? - A Personal Experience.
4) What is the fundamental message in your religion? - Be true to yourself, Do unto others.

Kind Regards,
Me :)

Watch this space

#4    manbearpigg

manbearpigg

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:29 PM

View PostThe New Richard Nixon, on 29 January 2013 - 10:17 PM, said:

There is no right religon, cant say one is better

Then you would be Agnostic as well?
I know people don't like to categorize themselves but it's useful when applied to statistics.

#5    eight bits

eight bits

• 7,637 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:29 AM

1) As it happens, I am an agnostic, which is sometimes usefully described as a "religion." I don't think it's useful as a catch-all term for people who prefer not to be affiliated with a pious-confession religion.

2) Of course, there is no "faith" involved in agnosticism. I don't propose that mine is the right religion, but only that it is my religion.

3) I was never very emotionally engaged by my cradle religion growing up. Around 11 or so, I noticed that some people living  in the time of Jesus' early followers believed in incompatible religious ideas, but on the same foundation as the Christians believed in Jesus. They couldn't both be right. I think I went as far as to realize that had things gone just a little differently back then, my "cradle religion" would have been some version of Indo-European polytheism.

Not long afterwards, I encountered another obvious idea, that a religion should foster the adherent's happiness in some way, here and now, which I didn't feel that my cradle religion did.

These are subversive, liberating, insurgent ideas. Of the many places I could have ended up, I found myself contented to be an agnostic. I think that reflects my overall opinions about how people should approach uncertain questions of all kinds, both religious and secular.

4) Know your limits. The question of God is difficult. Some human being knows all about God? Be serious. And when you look at some of the specific people who are proposed to be that "some human being" who knows all about God, you either have to laugh or cry.

Posted Image

#6    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 28,287 posts

• Paranoid Android... *whaa--*

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:09 AM

1) What is your religion (or the lack of)?- I am a Christian, and if you want more detail than that (due to the many approaches to Christianity) I would describe myself as a Bible-believing conservative evangelical non-denominational protestant Christian.  

2) What makes it THE religion to have faith in? - Because it is the truth, and through Jesus is the only way to eternal life (that is my belief, I am not preaching to you).

3) What caused you to believe in that religion? - Many little things.  I have always believed in a creator (moments of uncertainty led me to agnosticism but for the most part I was a Deist, though I was not aware of the term "Deism" in High School), and up until I turned 19 or 20 I generally believed that the creator-force was too big to fit into any one religion, and that all the religions of the world were simply mankind's way of understanding the divine.  I'd read up on several world religions by this stage and knew what Christianity taught about Jesus dying for my sins.  I even turned to Christ briefly when I was 12 years old, but I basically turned because of a fear of hell and deconverted three weeks later.  The concept of someone dying for my sins was absurd, I could understand it intellectually but never really understood it emotionally.

One day, in December 1998 I was at a beach.  it was a High School camp run by a retired preacher.  I was finishing year 12.  Some of the people at the camp couldn't swim, so they were just wading knee-deep.  Suddenly the sandbar they were standing on collapsed, and they suddenly found themselves being sucked under and pulled out to sea.  Ultimately, three people drowned, two of them were friends, one was very close to being my girlfriend (the third I did not know well, but that doesn't lessen the tragedy).  One of those who drowned was one of the camp leaders, a 25-year old man who was a very strong swimmer.  He went out three times to pull people in.  He was a hero who risked his life to save people he barely knew.  Unfortunately, the third time he went in he developed a cramp and was unable to keep himself from being sucked under.  

When I got home, two people who have now become very good friends of mine (furthermore, one of them has now graduated Bible-college and is the pastor of the church I attend) looked out for me and helped me through my grief.  After a time, I looked back on the events and began to realise something.  I now knew what it meant for one person to give their life so that others could live.  I knew it in my heart and not just my head.  Jesus' death confused me in the past, I didn't understand how his death could save me.  This tragedy allowed me to see that a person can die so that others could live.  Once I understood this, I was able to process the rest of Christianity and I was left with the only logical course of action - I turned to Christ.

Since then I've been a Christian for 13 years (or near enough).  Unlike my first conversion at 12 I did not convert from fear (do it or burn forever - I now don't even believe in a torturous hell of burning fire).  Instead, I came to understand a God of love, and willingly chose to follow him.

4) What is the fundamental message in your religion? - Love the Lord with all your heart and soul and mind, and love your neighbour as yourself.  All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commands (paraphrased from Jesus, who himself was quoting the Tanakh/Old Testament).  Basically, loving God consists of accepting Christ's sacrifice and putting him as our Lord, serving him and doing things for his glory.  Loving our neighbours is to put the needs of others before our own, treating everyone with love and respect, as we would wish to be treated (the whole "do unto others" spiel, though I've noticed most people think that as long as they aren't hurting someone they are therefore following this command, but I would argue that not to be the case - that sounds more like "don't do to others what you don't want done to you"; "Do to others what you want done to yourself" is entirely different).  

In a nutshell, that is the outline of my belief and how I came to it and what I understand of it.  Sorry it was a bit long, hope you read it all :)

~ Regards, PA

Edited by Paranoid Android, 30 January 2013 - 09:41 AM.

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#7    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Forum Divinity

• 10,578 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:06 AM

None. That was simple.

#8    manbearpigg

manbearpigg

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:48 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 30 January 2013 - 08:06 AM, said:

None. That was simple.

nothing is ever that simple.
Can i assume that you are either Atheist, Agnostic, or non-religious non-affiliate?
If not please tell me otherwise.
I MUST categorize you all!

#9    Overpopulation

Overpopulation

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:14 PM

1) What is your religion (or the lack of)? - I would have to say Agnostic atheism if I were to get real technical.
2) What makes it THE religion to have faith in? - Its really only logical to think this way unless you know something I don't. My opinion of course though.
3) What caused you to believe in that religion? - Reason. But it's not really a religion, just a way of thinking.
4) What is the fundamental message in your religion? - Be open minded and think logically.

#10    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Mostly Harmless

• 11,353 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:03 AM

View Postmanbearpigg, on 29 January 2013 - 10:16 PM, said:

Just out of curiosity,

1 I am a Pagan
2 It is a nature based religion and it works well with my view of how the Universe works. It doesn't work for everyone, if you want a religion that tells you what to believe this is not for you    There is no sacred book. We learn from each other and nature
3 I was called to it by a tree.
4 The Earth is our Mother, care for her and she will care for you.  Wiccans use the saying "Harm none, do as you will" It works pretty well   for the most part.

"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost; for none now live who remember it."  Galadriel

#11    SubjectDigamma

SubjectDigamma

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:09 AM

View PostParanoid Android, on 30 January 2013 - 07:09 AM, said:

1) What is your religion (or the lack of)?- I am a Christian, and if you want more detail than that (due to the many approaches to Christianity) I would describe myself as a Bible-believing conservative evangelical non-denominational protestant Christian.  

2) What makes it THE religion to have faith in? - Because it is the truth, and through Jesus is the only way to eternal life (that is my belief, I am not preaching to you).

3) What caused you to believe in that religion? - Many little things.  I have always believed in a creator (moments of uncertainty led me to agnosticism but for the most part I was a Deist, though I was not aware of the term "Deism" in High School), and up until I turned 19 or 20 I generally believed that the creator-force was too big to fit into any one religion, and that all the religions of the world were simply mankind's way of understanding the divine.  I'd read up on several world religions by this stage and knew what Christianity taught about Jesus dying for my sins.  I even turned to Christ briefly when I was 12 years old, but I basically turned because of a fear of hell and deconverted three weeks later.  The concept of someone dying for my sins was absurd, I could understand it intellectually but never really understood it emotionally.

One day, in December 1998 I was at a beach.  it was a High School camp run by a retired preacher.  I was finishing year 12.  Some of the people at the camp couldn't swim, so they were just wading knee-deep.  Suddenly the sandbar they were standing on collapsed, and they suddenly found themselves being sucked under and pulled out to sea.  Ultimately, three people drowned, two of them were friends, one was very close to being my girlfriend (the third I did not know well, but that doesn't lessen the tragedy).  One of those who drowned was one of the camp leaders, a 25-year old man who was a very strong swimmer.  He went out three times to pull people in.  He was a hero who risked his life to save people he barely knew.  Unfortunately, the third time he went in he developed a cramp and was unable to keep himself from being sucked under.  

When I got home, two people who have now become very good friends of mine (furthermore, one of them has now graduated Bible-college and is the pastor of the church I attend) looked out for me and helped me through my grief.  After a time, I looked back on the events and began to realise something.  I now knew what it meant for one person to give their life so that others could live.  I knew it in my heart and not just my head.  Jesus' death confused me in the past, I didn't understand how his death could save me.  This tragedy allowed me to see that a person can die so that others could live.  Once I understood this, I was able to process the rest of Christianity and I was left with the only logical course of action - I turned to Christ.

Since then I've been a Christian for 13 years (or near enough).  Unlike my first conversion at 12 I did not convert from fear (do it or burn forever - I now don't even believe in a torturous hell of burning fire).  Instead, I came to understand a God of love, and willingly chose to follow him.

4) What is the fundamental message in your religion? - Love the Lord with all your heart and soul and mind, and love your neighbour as yourself.  All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commands (paraphrased from Jesus, who himself was quoting the Tanakh/Old Testament).  Basically, loving God consists of accepting Christ's sacrifice and putting him as our Lord, serving him and doing things for his glory.  Loving our neighbours is to put the needs of others before our own, treating everyone with love and respect, as we would wish to be treated (the whole "do unto others" spiel, though I've noticed most people think that as long as they aren't hurting someone they are therefore following this command, but I would argue that not to be the case - that sounds more like "don't do to others what you don't want done to you"; "Do to others what you want done to yourself" is entirely different).  

In a nutshell, that is the outline of my belief and how I came to it and what I understand of it.  Sorry it was a bit long, hope you read it all :)

~ Regards, PA
AMEN I'm Christian u people got a problum with it

#12    manbearpigg

manbearpigg

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:58 AM

View PostSubjectDigamma, on 31 January 2013 - 02:09 AM, said:

AMEN I'm Christian u people got a problum with it

i said no bashing. dont try to agitate others.

#13    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:45 AM

I am atheist Christian.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#14    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Forum Divinity

• 10,578 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:14 AM

View Postmanbearpigg, on 30 January 2013 - 08:48 PM, said:

nothing is ever that simple.
Can i assume that you are either Atheist, Agnostic, or non-religious non-affiliate?
If not please tell me otherwise.
I MUST categorize you all!
Atheist.

#15    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:19 AM

I'm an atheist Buddhist.  Buddhism is typically agnostic, saying that we have to work out our own destinies and that gods and all that are not relevant to this central problem.  Personally I see no reason to think that such things exist, especially not the God of the Western religious mythologies.  (That makes me not a very good Buddhist because I really shouldn't question others' beliefs).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users