Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Strict Gun Laws in Chicago Canít Stem Shootin

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#1    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,818 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:20 PM

NY Times said:

CHICAGO — Not a single gun shop can be found in this city because they are outlawed. Handguns were banned in Chicago for decades, too, until 2010, when the United States Supreme Court ruled that was going too far, leading city leaders to settle for restrictions some describe as the closest they could get legally to a ban without a ban. Despite a continuing legal fight, Illinois remains the only state in the nation with no provision to let private citizens carry guns in public.

And yet Chicago, a city with no civilian gun ranges and bans on both assault weapons and high-capacity magazines, finds itself laboring to stem a flood of gun violence that contributed to more than 500 homicides last year and at least 40 killings already in 2013, including a fatal shooting of a 15-year-old girl on Tuesday.

To gun rights advocates, the city provides stark evidence that even some of the toughest restrictions fail to make places safer. “The gun laws in Chicago only restrict the law-abiding citizens and they’ve essentially made the citizens prey,” said Richard A. Pearson, executive director of the Illinois State Rifle Association. To gun control proponents, the struggles here underscore the opposite — a need for strict, uniform national gun laws to eliminate the current patchwork of state and local rules that allow guns to flow into this city from outside.

Read more

And, as I said many times, here the evidence, insular laws lead nowhere.

And if you wonder where the guns come from, here a map of successful gun traces. Basically the good old Jersey trick.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#2    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,050 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:27 PM

Enacting more laws doesn't stop law breakers from breaking laws?!
Posted Image

“The gun laws in Chicago only restrict the law-abiding citizens and they’ve essentially made the citizens prey,” -Richard A. Pearson
:o nowai

Posted Image

~MEH~

#3    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Common Sense Aficionado

• 4,316 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:28 PM

I will give you some credit question at least you validate and try to at least have a conversation and some decent ideas when you present things,unlike ninja who puts complete garbage out and acts like his way is the only way.I might not always agree with what you say,but at least you act like a adult and not some spoiled child not getting his way.Credit to you sir

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#4    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Common Sense Aficionado

• 4,316 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:29 PM

View PostHasina, on 30 January 2013 - 02:27 PM, said:

Posted Image

“The gun laws in Chicago only restrict the law-abiding citizens and they’ve essentially made the citizens prey,” -Richard A. Pearson

I have said the same things hasina,but atleast he is trying to get people to see his point and not trying to force it lol

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#5    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,818 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:56 PM

View PostHasina, on 30 January 2013 - 02:27 PM, said:

Posted Image

The German maxim (What is not allowed cannot be) dfoes not even work in Germany.

The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#6    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,818 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:57 PM

View PostCrimsonKing, on 30 January 2013 - 02:28 PM, said:

I will give you some credit question at least you validate and try to at least have a conversation and some decent ideas when you present things,unlike ninja who puts complete garbage out and acts like his way is the only way.I might not always agree with what you say,but at least you act like a adult and not some spoiled child not getting his way.Credit to you sir

Well, guess what? I have an opinion (mostly based on facts), sometimes I even get paid to have an opinion. And I don't care if anybody cheers and applauds.

about me

#7    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Common Sense Aficionado

• 4,316 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:06 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 30 January 2013 - 02:57 PM, said:

Well, guess what? I have an opinion (mostly based on facts), sometimes I even get paid to have an opinion. And I don't care if anybody cheers and applauds.

Well its everyones right to have an opinion,do not really care if you get paid for it or not.Opinions are like *ssholes everyone has one.Was just trying to give you a bit of credit i care not to cheer or applaude your "facts"

#8    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,818 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:13 PM

View PostCrimsonKing, on 30 January 2013 - 03:06 PM, said:

Well its everyones right to have an opinion,do not really care if you get paid for it or not.Opinions are like *ssholes everyone has one.Was just trying to give you a bit of credit i care not to cheer or applaude your "facts"

I know, I know, but you are not the only one around here who would rather die than think... you are in good company.

about me

#9    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Common Sense Aficionado

• 4,316 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:17 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 30 January 2013 - 03:13 PM, said:

I know, I know, but you are not the only one around here who would rather die than think... you are in good company.

No i think all the time and so does my good company,we just dont let the gov think for us.

#10    Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:00 PM

*Sighs deeply.* Some people refuse to see the truth, even if it is staring them in the face. I preached this for years and years, but they seem to can't get it through their thick skulls. You seeing the effects of completely banning guns from a state? It isn't going to stop the gun violence, it is going to explode, quite the opposite of what they were hoping for. There is no resistance, there is no force that can stop criminals, there is no way an person can protect themselves from the criminals. All they have to do is get the guns from black markets or step outside of the state to get a gun. They will find a way to get a weapon regardless of what laws are implanted.

Edited by Uncle Sam, 30 January 2013 - 04:02 PM.

A man's ethical behaviour should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death. - Albert Einstein

#11    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Common Sense Aficionado

• 4,316 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:30 PM

View PostUncle Sam, on 30 January 2013 - 04:00 PM, said:

*Sighs deeply.* Some people refuse to see the truth, even if it is staring them in the face. I preached this for years and years, but they seem to can't get it through their thick skulls. You seeing the effects of completely banning guns from a state? It isn't going to stop the gun violence, it is going to explode, quite the opposite of what they were hoping for. There is no resistance, there is no force that can stop criminals, there is no way an person can protect themselves from the criminals. All they have to do is get the guns from black markets or step outside of the state to get a gun. They will find a way to get a weapon regardless of what laws are implanted.

Agreed,even when you try to be pleasant and have a grown up conversation with them you get some smart*ss little quip and useless trumped up "facts" i will just stick to talking to people who believe in thinking and being responsible for themselves without gov interferance.

#12    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 17,199 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:30 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 30 January 2013 - 02:20 PM, said:

And if you wonder where the guns come from, here a map of successful gun traces. Basically the good old Jersey trick.
So by insular are you saying that gun's being ilegal in one city are proven to be ineffective therefore they should be made ilegal everywhere to be effective?
If so your logic is probably sound although I don't agree with the idea.

edit for: Jersey trick?

Edited by OverSword, 31 January 2013 - 07:33 PM.

#13    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,818 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:37 PM

View PostOverSword, on 31 January 2013 - 07:30 PM, said:

So by insular are you saying that gun's being ilegal in one city are proven to be ineffective therefore they should be made ilegal everywhere to be effective?
If so your logic is probably sound although I don't agree with the idea.

edit for: Jersy trick?
when in New York handguns were forbidden one used to take the ferry from Manhattan to Jersey and within a block of the landing there used to be a gun store (maybe is still there), you bought your gun and took the ferry back home.

As for banning guns everywhere, also leads nowhere. We need gun control.

about me

#14    aztek

aztek

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,653 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:49 PM

that is another lie, handguns are not forbiden in ny, and you can't bring handgun interstate, and you could not buy a gun in nyc unl;ess you had nyc permit, wich nj residents would not get. same true vise versa

lol, if you gonna b.s. someone about ny, make sure they are not from ny.

Edited by aztek, 31 January 2013 - 07:52 PM.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#15    Bama13

Bama13

Poltergeist

• 2,893 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:55 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 30 January 2013 - 02:20 PM, said:

Posted Image

" Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything —you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him" - Robert Heinlein

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users