Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Atheism - any contradictions or 'problems'?

• Please log in to reply
309 replies to this topic

#136    Crikey

Crikey

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 216 posts

• I just keep getting stronger..

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:03 PM

Crikey quoted Jesus- "Love God, love one another.."

View Postscowl, on 01 February 2013 - 08:58 PM, said:

[/i]
Love someone I've never met and who has reportedly killed hundreds of thousands of people?
Love the child abuser across the street? I'll pass on this one too.....

1- I don't think God ever wiped out nasty tribes unless they asked for it, to remove them from the human gene pool..:)

2- Nothing wrong with trying to make child abusers see the error of their ways, but if they won't listen we shouldn't waste any more time on them-
Jesus said:-"If any place will not welcome you or listen to you, shake the dust off your feet when you leave, as a testimony against them" (Mark 6:11)
Jesus said:- " if anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in me to stumble, it would be better for him to have a large millstone hung around his neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea" (Matt 18:6)

#137    Crikey

Crikey

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 216 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:04 PM

View PostZaphod222, on 02 February 2013 - 03:06 AM, said:

Newsflash for you: The Bible is not a history book.

Prove it..:)

#138    Crikey

Crikey

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 216 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:10 PM

Crikey said- As for Buddhism, the inconstencies come thick and fast, for example Buddha even tells us not to listen to him-
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense"
Buddha

View PostZaphod222, on 02 February 2013 - 03:13 AM, said:

Where do you see the contradiction?

Buddha is saying we shouldn't believe anything he says unless we agree with it.
Okay, I think most of what he said is satanic, so I reject Buddhism..:)

#139    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,192 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:24 PM

View PostCrikey, on 02 February 2013 - 12:10 PM, said:

Okay, I think most of what he said is satanic, so I reject Buddhism.. :)
/facepalm

#140    Crikey

Crikey

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 216 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:25 PM

View PostSean93, on 02 February 2013 - 11:07 AM, said:

Man will continue to conflate myths and legends...

But Jesus was solid flesh and blood, not a created myth..:)
For a start his arrival was foretold centuries before just as he said, - "All things about me in the law of Moses,the Prophets and the Psalms,must be fulfilled" (Luke 24:44)
And when he arrived he didn't skulk in some underground hideout, he travelled all over Israel for 3 long years in front of the people and the occupying Roman Army, that's a lot of eyewitnesses - "I've spoken openly to the world..I said nothing in secret" (John 18:20)

And "Large crowds from Galilee, the Ten Cities, Jerusalem, Judea and the region across the Jordan followed him" (Matt 4:25)
And he had audiences of over 4000 and 5000 at two meetings alone (Matt 15:32, Matt 14:13)

He said straight out he was the Messiah, the Christ, the Superprophet and the Son of God (John 4:26, Matt 16:17,Mark 14:62)
Today 2 billion people around the world follow Jesus ,making Christianity by far the biggest religion.
Jesus said - "I've beaten the world" (John 16:33)

Nice slice of pie anyone?..:)

Posted Image

#141    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,192 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:33 PM

View PostCrikey, on 02 February 2013 - 12:25 PM, said:

And when he arrived he didn't skulk in some underground hideout, he travelled all over Israel for 3 long years in front of the people and the occupying Roman Army, that's a lot of eyewitnesses - "I've spoken openly to the world..I said nothing in secret" (John 18:20)

And "Large crowds from Galilee, the Ten Cities, Jerusalem, Judea and the region across the Jordan followed him" (Matt 4:25)
And he had audiences of over 4000 and 5000 at two meetings alone (Matt 15:32, Matt 14:13)
Because 2 people said so?

#142    Crikey

Crikey

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 216 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:55 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 02 February 2013 - 12:33 PM, said:

Because 2 people said so?

In the years following Jesus's execution, 9 people (including the disciples) wrote a total of 27 books (The New Testament) about him, and NOBODY ever came forward to say something like " Hey that never happened! I was alive in Israel at the time but I never heard of this Jesus!"
In other words Jesus was TOO BIG to be a myth, it'd be like somebody nowadays trying to say Elvis never existed, right Elv?

"Uh-huh"..
Posted Image

#143    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,402 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:02 PM

[

Edited by Frank Merton, 02 February 2013 - 01:05 PM.

#144    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,402 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:03 PM

View PostCrikey, on 02 February 2013 - 12:10 PM, said:

Okay, I think most of what he said is satanic, so I reject Buddhism.. :)
That's a blessing.

Edited by Frank Merton, 02 February 2013 - 01:04 PM.

#145    Crikey

Crikey

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 216 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:07 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 02 February 2013 - 12:24 PM, said:

/facepalm

But what was the story behind the vid, maybe she came home and found it full of druggies, satanists and perverts and was just throwing them out to protect her daughter like any good Christian mom would?
Even Buddhists lose their kool sometimes..;)

Buddhists attack police during street riots, Far East-
Posted Image

#146    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,192 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:12 PM

View PostCrikey, on 02 February 2013 - 12:55 PM, said:

In the years following Jesus's execution, 9 people (including the disciples) wrote a total of 27 books (The New Testament) about him, and NOBODY ever came forward to say something like " Hey that never happened! I was alive in Israel at the time but I never heard of this Jesus!"
Very few of the disciples actually wrote the books they were credited with, and the earliest book, the gospel of mark was written decades after the execution.
You keep beating on about everyone saw him when in fact these claims only came from a handful of authors.

#147    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,192 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:16 PM

View PostCrikey, on 02 February 2013 - 01:07 PM, said:

But what was the story behind the vid, maybe she came home and found it full of druggies, satanists and perverts and was just throwing them out to protect her daughter like any good Christian mom would?
Trading spouses is/was a TV show in which two families swap wives or husbands. She swapped with a non-christian family.

Edited by Rlyeh, 02 February 2013 - 01:19 PM.

#148    eight bits

eight bits

• 6,278 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:26 PM

Okay, I think most of what he said is satanic, so I reject Buddhism..

So, in your view, when Jesus warned his audience in Matthew 7: 15-16 to beware of false prophets, an issue which troubled the people of Kalama, and Jesus proposed, parallel with the Buddha, "By their fruits you shall know them.," Jesus was promoting a Satanic doctrine?

And your purpose in posting in this thread is to help atheists manage their contradictions?

OK, then.

Posted Image

#149    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,402 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:26 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 02 February 2013 - 01:12 PM, said:

Very few of the disciples actually wrote the books they were credited with, and the earliest book, the gospel of mark was written decades after the execution.
You keep beating on about everyone saw him when in fact these claims only came from a handful of authors.

Much the same thing applies to all of the ancient religions.  If you read the very earliest Buddhist writings, you find the basic teaching and the stories of the palatial upbringing and the Enlightenment and a few incidents from years of mendicant preaching. As time passes miracles and wonders appear and the crowds get larger and larger.  This is perfectly natural myth development, and is interesting in the detail of what sorts of myths develop to tell you what sort of movement it was, but that they are mostly myths has to be kept in mind.

So for example you have the story that at his Enlightenment Brahma (the main god of the Hindu pantheon) approached the new Buddha to persuade him to remain on earth a natural lifetime and not enter blessed Nirvana immediately.  The Buddha was persuaded to do this, but he explained to Brahma that although he would thereby found a great religious movement and that many would be helped, in the end it would be destroyed -- that all things in the end are.

What to say -- this of course never happened as history -- but it conveys the general way Buddhists view their own religion so well.  It is not a religion out to conquer the world; it knows in the end what the world is and what will become of it.

I think we have to approach the Christian myths similarly -- with respect and to see what they tell us about Christianity, but those who insist that they are real events that happened in real time are sadly deluded.

#150    Crikey

Crikey

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 216 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:35 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 02 February 2013 - 01:12 PM, said:

So what? Jesus had such a massive impact on Israel that he became a household name and the whole country was still buzzing and talking about him for years after his death.
then somebody said "Hey let's write it all down for history!", and that's how the New Testament came to us from - "eyewitnesses and ministers of the word" (Luke 1:2)

Same with Elvis, many of the books about him were written by people who either knew him, or interviewed people who did know him (family, friends, musicians, fans etc).. :)

Posted Image

Edited by Crikey, 02 February 2013 - 01:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users