Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

Gym Advice


  • Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

    Poltergeist

  • Banned
  • 2,924 posts
  • Joined:16 Nov 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

Does anybody here have a lot of gym experience?

I returned to my gym two weeks ago after a few months away. I had an assessment from my fitness trainer which says I'm 220Ibs and 5"9. My new fitness program is high intensity cardio with strength training. It consists of the following three times a week -

1 x 10 minute Rowing machine (warmup at maximum setting)
3 x 15 minute Exercise bike at 30-40 kmph (This isnt programmed with hills in its set at high resistance all the way).
3 x 12 Abb machine (Currently at 40kg)
3 x 12 Bicep and chest machine (Currently at 60kg)
3 x 12 Tricep and back machine (Currently at 40kg)
3 x 20 Leg Press (Currently set at 160kg)

I'm 32 and my understanding is I'm passed the age at which I can grow. Is that right? I'm asking because over the last two weeks I've grown 5 inches to 6"2. It isnt better posture its my legs which have gone huge from the exercise bike (I think its the bike). My leg press has also gone up to 190kg. My diet has changed if its important from three set meals per day to one very large evening meal. On gym days this is after I've returned home from my exercise. It consists of 1-2 pints of whole milk, 200-500 grams of lean meat (depending on what my meal is) and lots of fruit everyday. I also take a Centrum Advance.

Edited by Mr Right Wing, 30 January 2013 - 08:57 PM.


#2    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts
  • Joined:18 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:DarkSide of TheMoon

  • "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:58 PM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 30 January 2013 - 08:43 PM, said:

Does anybody here have a lot of gym experience?

I returned to my gym two weeks ago after a few months away. I had an assessment from my fitness trainer which says I'm 220Ibs and 5"9. My new fitness program is high intensity cardio with strength training. It consists of the following three times a week -

1 x 10 minute Rowing machine (warmup at maximum setting)
3 x 15 minute Exercise bike at 30-40 kmph (This isnt programmed with hills in its set at high resistance all the way).
3 x 12 Abb machine (Currently at 40kg)
3 x 12 Bicep and chest machine (Currently at 60kg)
3 x 12 Tricep and back machine (Currently at 40kg)
3 x 20 Leg Press (Currently set at 160kg)

I'm 32 and my understanding is I'm passed the age at which I can grow. Is that right? I'm asking because over the last two weeks I've grown three inches to 6"2. It isnt better posture its my legs which have gone huge from the exercise bike (I think its the bike). My diet has changed if its important from three set meals per day to one very large evening meal. On gym days this is after I've returned home from my exercise. It consists of 1-2 pints of whole milk, 200-500 grams of lean meat (depending on what my meal is) and lots of fruit everyday. I also take a Centrum Advance.

I work at a gym and if you went from 5'9 to 6'2 that is 5 inches and is impossible at any age in 2 weeks lol,unless you just had horrible posture.Not saying you are telling a story i think someone mis measured drastically!

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#3    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

    Poltergeist

  • Banned
  • 2,924 posts
  • Joined:16 Nov 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:05 PM

View PostCrimsonKing, on 30 January 2013 - 08:58 PM, said:

I work at a gym and if you went from 5'9 to 6'2 that is 5 inches and is impossible at any age in 2 weeks lol,unless you just had horrible posture.Not saying you are telling a story i think someone mis measured drastically!

So you say growth is impossible?

The reason why I adopted starvation then a big meal in the evening is I read it makes your HGH rocket.


#4    rashore

rashore

    Telekinetic

  • 6,944 posts
  • Joined:26 Feb 2010
  • Gender:Female

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:12 PM

Sure you weren't put on a rack during those two weeks? :w00t:  I kid... I don't think it's possible for a human to gain 5 inches in height even at the peak of growth spurt. Could be some mis-measure, could also be you really are walking taller.

And from a nutrition point of view... You are way not doing yourself any favors. I could lecture about it, but it would probably go into the realm of advice that breaks the rules on these forums.
But I will say you need to eat more often during the day, and with a variety of veggies and grains as well as your fruit and proteins and fats to keep your body healthy, especially if you are participating in serious exercise regularly.


#5    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts
  • Joined:18 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:DarkSide of TheMoon

  • "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:15 PM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 30 January 2013 - 09:05 PM, said:

So you say growth is impossible?

The reason why I adopted starvation then a big meal in the evening is I read it makes your HGH rocket.

No not saying growth is impossible,because even if you dont look like you have bad posture if you have been sedintary for awhile the muscles can atrophy and or all pull tightly and once working them again can expand to the point you will be a bit taller.5 inches in 2 weeks though and you might need to see a doctor.You can boost hgh but at 32 most of you bones are already set i have known athletes who use hgh and mainly only there hands,feet and skull continue to grow similar to acromegaly.

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#6    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

    Poltergeist

  • Banned
  • 2,924 posts
  • Joined:16 Nov 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:19 PM

View PostCrimsonKing, on 30 January 2013 - 09:15 PM, said:

No not saying growth is impossible,because even if you dont look like you have bad posture if you have been sedintary for awhile the muscles can atrophy and or all pull tightly and once working them again can expand to the point you will be a bit taller.5 inches in 2 weeks though and you might need to see a doctor.You can boost hgh but at 32 most of you bones are already set i have known athletes who use hgh and mainly only there hands,feet and skull continue to grow similar to acromegaly.

Even if some of it is posture I must have grown and my legs are clearly longer just by looking at them.


#7    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

    Poltergeist

  • Banned
  • 2,924 posts
  • Joined:16 Nov 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:22 PM

View Postrashore, on 30 January 2013 - 09:12 PM, said:

Sure you weren't put on a rack during those two weeks? :w00t:  I kid... I don't think it's possible for a human to gain 5 inches in height even at the peak of growth spurt. Could be some mis-measure, could also be you really are walking taller.

And from a nutrition point of view... You are way not doing yourself any favors. I could lecture about it, but it would probably go into the realm of advice that breaks the rules on these forums.
But I will say you need to eat more often during the day, and with a variety of veggies and grains as well as your fruit and proteins and fats to keep your body healthy, especially if you are participating in serious exercise regularly.

Lets hear your diet comments.

I'm not running a calorie deficient as my meal is large and I'm getting all my vitamins. Why is one large meal worse than 3 regular?


#8    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts
  • Joined:18 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:DarkSide of TheMoon

  • "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:23 PM

Not sure man stranger things have happened,but if you have continued growth that you notice in your bones at 32 over the next few weeks go see a doctor.

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#9    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts
  • Joined:18 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:DarkSide of TheMoon

  • "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:25 PM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 30 January 2013 - 09:22 PM, said:

Lets hear your diet comments.

I'm not running a calorie deficient as my meal is large and I'm getting all my vitamins. Why is one large meal worse than 3 regular?

I myself eat 6 smaller meals throughout the day,smaller meals through the day keep blood sugar regulated and does not put as much strain on the digestive system at one time

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#10    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

    Poltergeist

  • Banned
  • 2,924 posts
  • Joined:16 Nov 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:35 PM

View PostCrimsonKing, on 30 January 2013 - 09:25 PM, said:

I myself eat 6 smaller meals throughout the day,smaller meals through the day keep blood sugar regulated and does not put as much strain on the digestive system at one time

If you were trying to boost metabolism for weight loss that would be a good diet plan.

But your insulin levels would be elevated for longer periods and its insulin which regulates HGH release. I've read that 18 hours into starvation a mans HGH is at about 2000% and a womans 1500%. So I eat one evening meal per day. Its a massive meal and takes me an hour to get through it.

At 32 I still bet starvation has my HGH many times above that what a 16 year old has.

Edited by Mr Right Wing, 30 January 2013 - 09:36 PM.


#11    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts
  • Joined:18 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:DarkSide of TheMoon

  • "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:35 PM

A example today i have had

meal 1- oatmeal,2 egg whites,protien shake
meal 2-sweet potato,small steak
meal 3-salad,with chunks of chicken breast
snack-protien shake,trail mix
meal-salmon steak,sweet potato with real honey
snack-protien shake,whatever is low in carbs and fat

sorry took so long at work right now lol

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#12    ealdwita

ealdwita

    Hwt oredmcg

  • Member
  • 4,844 posts
  • Joined:08 Jun 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:astcentingas , England

  • Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:38 PM

Posted Image

'Ealdwita deals with local gym'



"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#13    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts
  • Joined:18 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:DarkSide of TheMoon

  • "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:40 PM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 30 January 2013 - 09:35 PM, said:

If you were trying to boost metabolism for weight loss that would be a good diet plan.

But your insulin levels would be elevated for longer periods and its insulin which regulates HGH release. I've read that 18 hours into starvation a mans HGH is at about 2000% and a womans 1500%. So I eat one evening meal per day. Its a massive meal and takes me an hour to get through it.

Im 6'0 210-215 this is the way i always eat,i usually do 45 min on heavy bag,1 hour 30 min training,and 1 hour weights 3 days a week and weights and cardio of some sort 5 days a week.

View Postealdwita, on 30 January 2013 - 09:38 PM, said:



Posted Image

'Ealdwita deals with local gym'


Hahaha

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#14    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

    Poltergeist

  • Banned
  • 2,924 posts
  • Joined:16 Nov 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:44 PM

View PostCrimsonKing, on 30 January 2013 - 09:40 PM, said:

Im 6'0 210-215 this is the way i always eat,i usually do 45 min on heavy bag,1 hour 30 min training,and 1 hour weights 3 days a week and weights and cardio of some sort 5 days a week.

Are you up to trying all food in 1 meal after your workout for a few weeks?

No bull I've grown.

Edited by Mr Right Wing, 30 January 2013 - 09:46 PM.


#15    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts
  • Joined:18 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:DarkSide of TheMoon

  • "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:50 PM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 30 January 2013 - 09:44 PM, said:

Are you up to trying all food in 1 meal for a few weeks?

No bull I've grown.

I will give it a shot at some point,but will have to be when i have no one to train for a bit.I couldnt imagine getting ready for a fight or even helping others train and putting my body through that haha.

any particular reason you are working out?just to get back in shape?Because if going for power lifting i would not suggest my diet lol

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users