Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Those Who Have Kids

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1    MedicTJ

MedicTJ

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:26 AM

I was afraid of becoming a grandparent.  I thought the term itself would officially enter me into the "you're old" category.  And when my wife of 20 years and I found out last year that our oldest daughter was pregnant....I was an idiot for being selfish and buying into that philosophy.

Only 6 days after my grandson's birth....the first time I held him....he smiled.  I know a lot of people won't believe me when I say this....but I knew his soul.  And it was like he knew mine too.  It was like he was saying, "Dude...you're here too?  This is gonna be awesome!"

He celebrates his first birthday next month, and over this stretch...whenever he's seen "grandpa", he has smiled from ear to ear.

I can't express to anyone else what that does to your spirit unless you've experienced it for yourself.

I know one thing.  I don't care about being called "gramps" anymore.

Dr. Phil says that marriage is hard work.

I say....if marriage is hard work, you're doing it wrong.  Love is not work.  Love is eternal.

http://www.reverbnat...om/tjflickinger

#2    Daughter of the Nine Moons

Daughter of the Nine Moons

☆。Fearstriker Do'Teh 。☆

• 14,680 posts

• ☆彡

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:32 AM

View PostMedicTJ, on 31 January 2013 - 02:26 AM, said:

Only 6 days after my grandson's birth....the first time I held him....he smiled.  I know a lot of people won't believe me when I say this....but I knew his soul.  And it was like he knew mine too.  It was like he was saying, "Dude...you're here too?  This is gonna be awesome!"
Your little grandson is lucky to have a grandpa like you. Congrats on his first birthday!

One does not simply walk into Mordor.

#3    The Id3al Experience

The Id3al Experience

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts

• "Live with cause and leave results to the great law of the universe"

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:35 AM

Hi MedicTJ,

Congrats and hope the lil fella has an epic first... I know with a G-dad (youngy the old Gramps up HAHA) like yourself he will do..

Kind Regards,
Me :)

Watch this space

#4    MedicTJ

MedicTJ

Psychic Spy

• 1,065 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:36 AM

Thank you!  But I think I'm the lucky one to have him in my life, and a daughter and son-in-law who are just great parents.

I say....if marriage is hard work, you're doing it wrong.  Love is not work.  Love is eternal.

#5    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:40 AM

+1

#6    MedicTJ

MedicTJ

Psychic Spy

• 1,065 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:57 AM

View PostThe Id3al Experience, on 31 January 2013 - 02:35 AM, said:

Hi MedicTJ,

Congrats and hope the lil fella has an epic first... I know with a G-dad (youngy the old Gramps up HAHA) like yourself he will do..

Kind Regards,
Me :)

G-dad!  I like it!  (as my daughter is standing over my shoulder and reading that she says...."Dad....you're NOT calling yourself G-dad...at least not in front of my friends."

Gotta love that!

#7    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 5,461 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:58 AM

Great post!!! Brought tears to my eyes. :tsu:
We have one grandson but we never get to see him. We have a hole in our hearts I can't even describe.

Edited by QuiteContrary, 31 January 2013 - 03:01 AM.

Bigfoot is in the eye of the beholder

Scottish Scientists Only!

#8    MedicTJ

MedicTJ

Psychic Spy

• 1,065 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:20 AM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 31 January 2013 - 02:58 AM, said:

Great post!!! Brought tears to my eyes. :tsu:
We have one grandson but we never get to see him. We have a hole in our hearts I can't even describe.

QC, I don't know the particulars on your situation and why you can't see him but it can't be good.  I hope and pray that whatever barriers are keeping you from seeing him are removed and removed soon.

#9    MedicTJ

MedicTJ

Psychic Spy

• 1,065 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:47 AM

Our 2nd oldest (we have 3...the last one a Sophomore in high school) said, "Dad...you're not gramps.  You're G-Dad Money"

I'm no hip hop or rap fan....but that cracked me up!

Edited by MedicTJ, 31 January 2013 - 05:49 AM.

#10    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• 1,614 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:13 AM

I can fully understand that. On one hand, I love kids, on the other hand I dread the day when I become an official granddad.
Well, when it happens, I will jump in head first and concentrate on the bright side.

Edited by Zaphod222, 31 January 2013 - 08:13 AM.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#11    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 5,048 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:07 PM

As a Grandfather, I'd also like to point out another advantage of grandchildren - Although an undoubted joy most of the time, they can be returned to their parents once they've outstayed their welcome!

Posted Image

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#12    HerNibs

HerNibs

Grand Duchess Anaesthesia

• 12,282 posts

• Endless repetition does not make something true.

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:44 PM

I understand the feeling.  :)  My first grandson is going to be 1 year old on 2/5.  I wasn't sure I was ready to be grandma but it's the greatest thing ever.

We watch him on the weekends and we look forward to it.  There aren't words for how much we love and enjoy him.  He's simply amazing.  He was a surprise (long wild story) and from the second we saw him we can't get enough of him.

Two weeks ago we had our second grandson born and we can't wait to spoil him as well.

Nibs

Attached Files

Just because it is a mystery to YOU doesn't make it unexplained.

STORM - a must watch - caution, some profanity and may cause you to experience reason.

#13    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 5,048 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:58 PM

Handsome lad. Great taste in football teams too!

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#14    MedicTJ

MedicTJ

Psychic Spy

• 1,065 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:09 PM

Well ain't that wild!  My son-in-law is a HUGE Colts fan, and his name choice for our grandson is the one that won.

Our grandson's name is Peyton......who now plays for the Broncos!

#15    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:16 PM

View PostHerNibs, on 31 January 2013 - 03:44 PM, said:

I understand the feeling.  :)  My first grandson is going to be 1 year old on 2/5.  I wasn't sure I was ready to be grandma but it's the greatest thing ever.

We watch him on the weekends and we look forward to it.  There aren't words for how much we love and enjoy him.  He's simply amazing.  He was a surprise (long wild story) and from the second we saw him we can't get enough of him.

Two weeks ago we had our second grandson born and we can't wait to spoil him as well.

Nibs

Congrats on your new gandson,.and the picture you posted is just lovely...Cute child

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 31 January 2013 - 07:16 PM.

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users