Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Earth loses status as Goldilocks world

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Common Sense Aficionado

• 4,302 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:32 AM

View PostHazzard, on 31 January 2013 - 03:41 PM, said:

Unfortunately, any route you take to the stars will be slow, even if you are powered by the most powerful nuclear propulsion technology…

A trip to Proxima Centauri, the closest star (4.22 light years from Earth) would take Voyager 1  73000 years.

Agreed,i think if we ever plan to go to another star we will have to figure out a way to bend space and time to achieve it.Propulsion tech i doubt will ever get us there.

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#17    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence.

• 11,493 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:13 AM

View PostOverpopulation, on 01 February 2013 - 12:48 AM, said:

Great discovery. But who knows their could be planets outside this zone, that could have evolved life just in a different way we would suspect, but still with natural selection of course.
And in fact it's possible for life as we know it to also evolve outside the "goldilocks zone."

Not like us, but life like life on Earth.

For example, tidal forces can keep water warm enough to stay liquid underneath ice covers, such as is suspected on Jupiter's moon Europa.

In other words, liquid water could exist in many places outside habitable zones, for many different reasons.

Harte

Edited by Harte, 03 February 2013 - 06:20 AM.

Posted Image
See the new Harte Mark III
And the Mayan panoramas on my pyramid pajamas haven't helped my little problem. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Anybody like Coleridge?

#18    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 34,222 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:03 AM

View PostHarte, on 03 February 2013 - 06:13 AM, said:

And in fact it's possible for life as we know it to also evolve outside the "goldilocks zone."
I would say that the term "in fact" is a little strong. It is hypothetically possible as it is believed that such conditions could exist BUT we have not yet the absolute proof that such conditions ACTUALLY exist or that life has/can actually form there.

In my opinion, this is why we need to further study the icy moons of Jupiter and Saturn and fill in the gaps in our knowledge.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#19    Harte

Harte

• 11,493 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:15 PM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 03 February 2013 - 11:03 AM, said:

I would say that the term "in fact" is a little strong. It is hypothetically possible as it is believed that such conditions could exist BUT we have not yet the absolute proof that such conditions ACTUALLY exist or that life has/can actually form there.

In my opinion, this is why we need to further study the icy moons of Jupiter and Saturn and fill in the gaps in our knowledge.

Okay, I can buy that.

Fact is too strong of a word... for now.

harte

Posted Image
And the Mayan panoramas on my pyramid pajamas haven't helped my little problem. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Anybody like Coleridge?

#20    Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:27 PM

If Earth as a planet did lose its goldilock status, I don't know if I should be worried or just shrug it off.

A man's ethical behaviour should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death. - Albert Einstein

#21    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,828 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:32 PM

View Postmfrmboy, on 31 January 2013 - 03:14 PM, said:

I have been told that with our current technology it would take to long for a probe or whatever to get to one of these planets. If I remember correctly hundreds of years.

Thousands of years.  That is just to get to the closest at 4.5 light years.  Further we can't detect planets around a star that close.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#22    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:59 PM

The technology is coming where we will be able to get spectra of planets orbiting close stars.  Over time we will extend this ability outward.  This is far more likely than probes to be the route we will use, since we look at light that has already spent all the time needed to get to us.

#23    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 34,222 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:07 PM

View Postdanielost, on 03 March 2013 - 03:32 PM, said:

Thousands of years.  That is just to get to the closest at 4.5 light years.
As Hazzard has already correctly pointed out it would take tens of thousands of years to reach the nearest star which is 4.2 light years away.

View Postdanielost, on 03 March 2013 - 03:32 PM, said:

Further we can't detect planets around a star that close.
What?
Not only can we detect planets around a star that close, we HAVE detected planets around a star that close, see this topic:
Earth Mass Planet Orbits Alpha Centauri B

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#24    bison

bison

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:25 PM

The habitable zone is a rather crude estimate of a more nuanced situation. Even a little additional carbon dioxide in the atmosphere of a planet farther out than this zone could make for an eminently habitable world. A planet with a thin, rather dry atmosphere, which loses heat with greater than usual efficiency might be habitable, even if nearer a star than its habitable zone.

#25    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,828 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:47 PM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 03 March 2013 - 04:07 PM, said:

As Hazzard has already correctly pointed out it would take tens of thousands of years to reach the nearest star which is 4.2 light years away.

What?
Not only can we detect planets around a star that close, we HAVE detected planets around a star that close, see this topic:
Earth Mass Planet Orbits Alpha Centauri B

I stand corrected.  Last I heard the star hd to be 100 light years out.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#26    Harte

Harte

• 11,493 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:20 AM

View PostUncle Sam, on 03 March 2013 - 12:27 PM, said:

If Earth as a planet did lose its goldilock status, I don't know if I should be worried or just shrug it off.

You should just try the other bowl of prridge, the other chair, or the other bed.

Not necessesarily in that order, depending on who is with you at the time, of course.

Harte

Posted Image
Anybody like Coleridge?

#27    Zeta Reticulum

Zeta Reticulum

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:01 AM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 03 March 2013 - 04:07 PM, said:

And it used to take months of sea travel to get across the earths oceans by sail. Now we have a previously unheard of technology (jet propulsion).
Another technology will come along, either by invention or by capture.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users