Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Brain Retroactively Edits Conscious Experienc

Render

The brain apparently edits a person's conscious experience retroactively.

Up to a half-second after an object disappears from view, the brain can "edit" the experience to retain that object, a new study from France shows. The finding may partly explain the weird feeling of being able to recall something you heard even when you don't consciously remember hearing it.

The finding also contradicts the notion that the brain sequentially takes in sensory information, processes it and then consciously experiences it, said Tufts University cognitive scientist Daniel Dennett, whose books include "Consciousness Explained."

"You have to get away from the idea that consciousness is like a movie that's playing in your head and that once the processing is done happening then you've got this finished movie that you see." Dennett told LiveScience. "The editing can go on and on." [The 10 Greatest Mysteries of the Mind]

The results were published online Dec. 13 in the journal Current Biology.

http://www.livescience.com/26717-brain-retroactively-edits-consciousness.html

• Like 2

"The editing can go on and on." -- which is why I have a very difficult time believing the adults on this forum who state they clearly remember something which happened to them as a child. Especially when they give an exact age they were when whatever it happened allegedly happened.

• Like 2

"The editing can go on and on." -- which is why I have a very difficult time believing the adults on this forum who state they clearly remember something which happened to them as a child. Especially when they give an exact age they were when whatever it happened allegedly happened.

I know exactly what you mean. However, there are individuals with exceptional mental and intellectual powers.

For me, I can remember certain events from my childhood, but very rarely can I remember how old I was when it happened.

• Like 1

That's how it is for most people I think. And on top of that, I don't really bother with remembering how old I was when something happened. That I recall it happening is all that matters to me.

Think of all the sensory input that's coming into the brain that your consciousness is not focusing on at the moment.

Yes, i believe the same goes for paranormal experiences.

As the article states:

The finding may partly explain the weird feeling of being able to recall something you heard even when you don't consciously remember hearing it.

The same could go for every other thing you sense but re-edit immediately, leaving you with an eerie feeling instead of an actual explanation. Opening the door to paranormal explanations.