Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Cannabis Farming In Kentucky

cannabis marijuana republicans

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#31    MissMelsWell

MissMelsWell

Cosmic Baker

• 13,134 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:28 AM

I love hemp clothing (WAY better than I like synthetic fabrics),it's soft, natural feeling, it's pretty much as nice as cotton to be honest, but more durable. The uses for the stuff are so varied and it's such an inexpensive product. I commend Kentucky for attempting to legalize industrial hemp production. Most of the hemp products we get in the USA now are from eastern Europe if I'm not mistaken.... they never stopped growing it as a cash crop.

I live in Washington state as well... I voted to legalize it here, but I've never been one to partake in the medical or recreational use of it. It was just the right thing to do. I will say it's been a bit weird here since Dec 11th when it became fully legal to possess. Now when I go outside to the private back patio area of my favorite pub, there are people just hanging out having a little whacky toccaby.. LOL  The stoners are a lot more mellow and cheerful than the drunks if you ask me. haha.

"It's time for the American people to stand up and shrug off the shackles of our government at TSA at the airport"  Ron Paul

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

#32    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:19 AM

I live in Washington state as well... I voted to legalize it here, but I've never been one to partake in the medical or recreational use of it. It was just the right thing to do. I will say it's been a bit weird here since Dec 11th when it became fully legal to possess. Now when I go outside to the private back patio area of my favorite pub, there are people just hanging out having a little whacky toccaby.. LOL  The stoners are a lot more mellow and cheerful than the drunks if you ask me. haha.

How does Washington State feel about big Farm or Big Pharm stepping in and taking over the industry with massive grows or do you see it staying as mom and pop  closet grows as weve been doing since forever ?

Thats my only fear is this move in Kentucky is a backdoor for the government (whos been responsible for criminalizing and imprisoning folks for decades over this) to make a profit. Hemp. They banned it so they shouldnt profit off it. If they want there state tax whatever but that should be ALL they get. WE THE PEOPLE have paid a price for this freedom.

#33    pallidin

pallidin

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,155 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:04 AM

I'm all for hemp production for the reason stated earlier here.

However, I have a problem with "pot"

Smoked it a lot when I was younger, and all it did was make me lazy, and my entire life revolved around getting more when I was out. Maybe that's just me, though.
I did find it to be a most excellent "social" drug, gaining friends and such especially when i was sharing.

Still, my use, or should I say "abuse", cost me an otherwise favorable higher education. Again, that was just me.

But for hemp, I see no reason not to grow it for it's remarkable qualities(rope, clothing, etc...)

#34    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 34,291 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:14 AM

View Postpallidin, on 02 February 2013 - 10:04 AM, said:

Smoked it a lot when I was younger, and all it did was make me lazy, and my entire life revolved around getting more when I was out. Maybe that's just me, though.
I did find it to be a most excellent "social" drug, gaining friends and such especially when i was sharing.

It was not only you. If food would be difficult to get all your thoughts would revolve around finding something to eat. (But maybe I am the wrong person to talk as the only drugs I ever used were alcohol and nicotine).

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#35    Jinxdom

Jinxdom

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

• Education...has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
    -- G.M. Trevelyan

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:38 AM

Rarely smoke it but I do grow and sell it thanks to a permit. I see more benefits out of it then most clinical pain medications out there on the market right now. I also see less dangers in it then drinking. I never felt bad selling it to one of my clients. I'm actually kind of glad that a ton of people the place where I live think that it is a horrible thing. Less competition for sales = more time to do the things I want & and I can sell to the clients that I want to sell to instead of taking the slim pickings(I don't feel right when selling a product that I know will do more damage then good to themselves. . I do pay quite a bit on taxes though. Profit isn't a bad thing as long as you can sleep at night when you get it.

View PostAsteroidX, on 02 February 2013 - 07:19 AM, said:

How does Washington State feel about big Farm or Big Pharm stepping in and taking over the industry with massive grows or do you see it staying as mom and pop  closet grows as weve been doing since forever ?

That actually worried me for quite a while but I have one advantage that big pharm doesn't. i can move to my clients instead of my clients coming to me, Order a pizza then call me :P

#36    MissMelsWell

MissMelsWell

Cosmic Baker

• 13,134 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:44 PM

View PostAsteroidX, on 02 February 2013 - 07:19 AM, said:

Thats my only fear is this move in Kentucky is a backdoor for the government (whos been responsible for criminalizing and imprisoning folks for decades over this) to make a profit. Hemp. They banned it so they shouldnt profit off it. If they want there state tax whatever but that should be ALL they get. WE THE PEOPLE have paid a price for this freedom.

I think for now, it's unknown. Washington doesn't really yet have an idea of how it's going to regulate all this. Currently, it's still illegal to grow unless you have a license to grow for medical purpose... medical marijuana has been legal here for a long long time. In fact, pot has been more or less decriminalized here for almost 10 years. Aka, there hasn't been anyone in jail here for pot possession for a very very long time. The state has about 9 more months to sort out licensing and regulations for growers. At this point, I haven't heard of pharma taking an interest in growing here because pot is still illegal on a federal level. I think we will see the effort being "homegrown" (pun intended) No pharma wants to get involved while pot remains federally outlawed.

Right now, from what I'm seeing in local news, the big pressure from the Feds coming down on lawmakers is the question for how they're going to keep our new products from slipping over state lines. That's going to be a hard one to work around. But on the good side our new governor, attorney general and other elected officials are hell bent on respecting voters wishes!

"It's time for the American people to stand up and shrug off the shackles of our government at TSA at the airport"  Ron Paul

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

#37    pallidin

pallidin

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,155 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:39 PM

View PostMissMelsWell, on 02 February 2013 - 03:44 PM, said:

At this point, I haven't heard of pharma taking an interest in growing here because pot is still illegal on a federal level. I think we will see the effort being "homegrown" (pun intended) No pharma wants to get involved while pot remains federally outlawed.

Are you sure about that? Pharmaceutical pot cigs, and THC tabs, have been around for awhile as a direct treatment for glaucoma or something.  Very hard to get, though, and they prefer dispensing THC pills.

And both are derived directly from Gov. controlled pot farms.

Hope I'm not wrong about that. I'm sure I heard that years ago on TV.

Edited by pallidin, 02 February 2013 - 06:42 PM.

#38    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 34,291 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:46 PM

View Postpallidin, on 02 February 2013 - 06:39 PM, said:

Are you sure about that? Pharmaceutical pot cigs, and THC tabs, have been around for awhile as a direct treatment for glaucoma or something.  Very hard to get, though, and they prefer dispensing THC pills.

Most of that stuff is synthetic THC.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#39    MissMelsWell

MissMelsWell

Cosmic Baker

• 13,134 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:17 PM

View Postpallidin, on 02 February 2013 - 06:39 PM, said:

Actually, the University of Washington in Seattle has been growing pot for decades for the manufacture of THC tablets and research. Their programs are partially sponsored by Pharma but the university is one of the very very few facilities in the nation that has Federal permission to grow. Mostly what was discovered early on in their research is that the THC tablets are ineffective at best... both the natural and synthetic. Both have been so processed to meet the crazy federal standards that they're rendered useless.

Pharma is not going to jump in on commercial pot growing operations because it would be illegal to do so. They jump on the Federally sanctioned grow operations of which there are VERY few.

Now if the federal government reclassifies cannabis to a class II narcotic, then we could see some big pharma jumping in to do some very bad things I think. Of course cannabis doesn't meet guidelines for a class I or class II narcotic.

Edited by MissMelsWell, 02 February 2013 - 07:22 PM.

#40    Drayno

Drayno

Reverend Dudemeister

• 3,672 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:23 AM

I'm glad to see Kentucky is doing something.

"One leader, one people, signifies one master and millions of slaves." - Camus

#41    acidhead

acidhead

Were Not Your Slaves!

• 10,273 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:52 AM

View PostAsteroidX, on 31 January 2013 - 08:00 PM, said:

It is one of the most usable useful renewable resources we have.

Hemp can be used to make hardwood flooring too.  It's already been done with Bamboo and Coconut.  I'd put a hemp floor in my house... 100% north american.

"there is no wrong or right - just popular opinion"

#42    preacherman76

preacherman76

Humble Servent

• 10,592 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:22 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 31 January 2013 - 07:10 PM, said:

Don't worry, once the other stuff is there in a large enough amount there will be some contraband in there. The main reason why hemp growing is either outlawed or very controlled in most states.

Making hemp illegal has nothing, and I mean NOTHING to do smoking it. It is illegal cause of several lobby groups who would be threatened by the competition. Especialy those who profit from destroying this earth by deforestation.

Some things are true, even if you dont believe them.

#43    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:42 PM

Pot is on the way to being decriminalized Federally IMO. Thats why I asked the question about Big Pharm and Big Grows. Id personally be very offended by the Feds making a racket out of this one. But we do know theyll try.

#44    MissMelsWell

MissMelsWell

Cosmic Baker

• 13,134 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:18 PM

View PostAsteroidX, on 03 February 2013 - 02:42 PM, said:

Pot is on the way to being decriminalized Federally IMO. Thats why I asked the question about Big Pharm and Big Grows. Id personally be very offended by the Feds making a racket out of this one. But we do know theyll try.

That remains to be seen, but it's a distinct possibility. Although, I don't think we'll see it decriminalized in the traditional sense (I personally think the DEA will try to reclassify it as a Schedule IV drug). I say that because there are LOADS of international treaties banning it. One of the first things to happen when Wa. and Co.s initiatives passed, was half a dozen latin american countries crying foul! They're still complaining to the Feds.

Its going to be interesting to watch what the Feds do over the next 2-4 years regarding pot. What the feds do, will have a huge impact on what the big Pharma will do. I'm going to guess that big pharma will get their slice of the pie eventually... but until then, watching this play out is going to be interesting.

In 10 months, you should be able to come to Washington state and buy pot in a state run store. I expect to start seeing a lot of mellow glassy eyed tourists wandering around downtown next year. haha.

Edited by MissMelsWell, 03 February 2013 - 05:20 PM.

#45    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:29 PM

Im Oregon we dont have to travel to Washington to get pot. :tsu:

Also tagged with cannabis, marijuana, republicans

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users