Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cannabis Farming In Kentucky

questionmark

Recreational pot use for adults is legal where I live, however at this time unless you grow it yourself you can only obtain it for recreational purposes through ilegal chanels. Also I think the governor is saying that the way the fed is trying to fight this is to tell WA and CO governments that it is ilegal for them to collect taxes on something that the feds say is ilegal.

We'll see what happens. Very big money (dupont, pharma, corporations that run prisons) and powerful government agencies (DEA, USCG) make alot of money from keeping pot ilegal.

• Like 1

Recreational pot use for adults is legal where I live, however at this time unless you grow it yourself you can only obtain it for recreational purposes through ilegal chanels. Also I think the governor is saying that the way the fed is trying to fight this is to tell WA and CO governments that it is ilegal for them to collect taxes on something that the feds say is ilegal.

We'll see what happens. Very big money (dupont, pharma, corporations that run prisons) and powerful government agencies (DEA, USCG) make alot of money from keeping pot ilegal.

It will take them a few more years to come around I think .That being said,I don't think it should be smoked .

Like any smoke,its an irritant to delicate lung tissue . It should be ingested ,especially for medical uses .

• Like 1

We'll see what happens. Very big money (dupont, pharma, corporations that run prisons) and powerful government agencies (DEA, USCG) make alot of money from keeping pot ilegal

I really care that these same entities dont turn around and make money off legalizing it. We all need to make a stand and only allow small grows for personal use. We got the pie we wanted lets not let the Federal Government now eat all our pie and leave us with the bottom of the bag.

• Like 1

It will take them a few more years to come around I think .That being said,I don't think it should be smoked .

Like any smoke,its an irritant to delicate lung tissue . It should be ingested ,especially for medical uses .

A hippie friend of mines mother has been smoking the stuff for most of her life. No problems whatsoever in the lung department. Her lungs are pretty Healthy apparently.

Hemp has historically been legalised for growth and production during times of war in the US. Which pretty much highlights the fact of how much better it is than the alternatives.

The main reason isn't because of the potential of sneaking in the good stuff. The main reason is because most things formerly made from hemp are now made from nylon produced by Dupont, the evil corporation responsible for making hemp ilegal for that reason.

edit, as I understand it pot has been the #1 cash crop in TN for decades anyway.

Yes, that is the general understanding. Source: I'm a Volunteer, born and raised!

I love hemp clothing (WAY better than I like synthetic fabrics),it's soft, natural feeling, it's pretty much as nice as cotton to be honest, but more durable. The uses for the stuff are so varied and it's such an inexpensive product. I commend Kentucky for attempting to legalize industrial hemp production. Most of the hemp products we get in the USA now are from eastern Europe if I'm not mistaken.... they never stopped growing it as a cash crop.

I live in Washington state as well... I voted to legalize it here, but I've never been one to partake in the medical or recreational use of it. It was just the right thing to do. I will say it's been a bit weird here since Dec 11th when it became fully legal to possess. Now when I go outside to the private back patio area of my favorite pub, there are people just hanging out having a little whacky toccaby.. LOL The stoners are a lot more mellow and cheerful than the drunks if you ask me. haha.

• Like 3

I live in Washington state as well... I voted to legalize it here, but I've never been one to partake in the medical or recreational use of it. It was just the right thing to do. I will say it's been a bit weird here since Dec 11th when it became fully legal to possess. Now when I go outside to the private back patio area of my favorite pub, there are people just hanging out having a little whacky toccaby.. LOL The stoners are a lot more mellow and cheerful than the drunks if you ask me. haha.

How does Washington State feel about big Farm or Big Pharm stepping in and taking over the industry with massive grows or do you see it staying as mom and pop closet grows as weve been doing since forever ?

Thats my only fear is this move in Kentucky is a backdoor for the government (whos been responsible for criminalizing and imprisoning folks for decades over this) to make a profit. Hemp. They banned it so they shouldnt profit off it. If they want there state tax whatever but that should be ALL they get. WE THE PEOPLE have paid a price for this freedom.

I'm all for hemp production for the reason stated earlier here.

However, I have a problem with "pot"

Smoked it a lot when I was younger, and all it did was make me lazy, and my entire life revolved around getting more when I was out. Maybe that's just me, though.

I did find it to be a most excellent "social" drug, gaining friends and such especially when i was sharing.

Still, my use, or should I say "abuse", cost me an otherwise favorable higher education. Again, that was just me.

But for hemp, I see no reason not to grow it for it's remarkable qualities(rope, clothing, etc...)

• Like 1

Smoked it a lot when I was younger, and all it did was make me lazy, and my entire life revolved around getting more when I was out. Maybe that's just me, though.

I did find it to be a most excellent "social" drug, gaining friends and such especially when i was sharing.

It was not only you. If food would be difficult to get all your thoughts would revolve around finding something to eat. (But maybe I am the wrong person to talk as the only drugs I ever used were alcohol and nicotine).

Rarely smoke it but I do grow and sell it thanks to a permit. I see more benefits out of it then most clinical pain medications out there on the market right now. I also see less dangers in it then drinking. I never felt bad selling it to one of my clients. I'm actually kind of glad that a ton of people the place where I live think that it is a horrible thing. Less competition for sales = more time to do the things I want & and I can sell to the clients that I want to sell to instead of taking the slim pickings(I don't feel right when selling a product that I know will do more damage then good to themselves. . I do pay quite a bit on taxes though. Profit isn't a bad thing as long as you can sleep at night when you get it.

How does Washington State feel about big Farm or Big Pharm stepping in and taking over the industry with massive grows or do you see it staying as mom and pop closet grows as weve been doing since forever ?

That actually worried me for quite a while but I have one advantage that big pharm doesn't. i can move to my clients instead of my clients coming to me, Order a pizza then call me :P

• Like 1

Thats my only fear is this move in Kentucky is a backdoor for the government (whos been responsible for criminalizing and imprisoning folks for decades over this) to make a profit. Hemp. They banned it so they shouldnt profit off it. If they want there state tax whatever but that should be ALL they get. WE THE PEOPLE have paid a price for this freedom.

I think for now, it's unknown. Washington doesn't really yet have an idea of how it's going to regulate all this. Currently, it's still illegal to grow unless you have a license to grow for medical purpose... medical marijuana has been legal here for a long long time. In fact, pot has been more or less decriminalized here for almost 10 years. Aka, there hasn't been anyone in jail here for pot possession for a very very long time. The state has about 9 more months to sort out licensing and regulations for growers. At this point, I haven't heard of pharma taking an interest in growing here because pot is still illegal on a federal level. I think we will see the effort being "homegrown" (pun intended) No pharma wants to get involved while pot remains federally outlawed.

Right now, from what I'm seeing in local news, the big pressure from the Feds coming down on lawmakers is the question for how they're going to keep our new products from slipping over state lines. That's going to be a hard one to work around. But on the good side our new governor, attorney general and other elected officials are hell bent on respecting voters wishes!

• Like 1

At this point, I haven't heard of pharma taking an interest in growing here because pot is still illegal on a federal level. I think we will see the effort being "homegrown" (pun intended) No pharma wants to get involved while pot remains federally outlawed.

Are you sure about that? Pharmaceutical pot cigs, and THC tabs, have been around for awhile as a direct treatment for glaucoma or something. Very hard to get, though, and they prefer dispensing THC pills.

And both are derived directly from Gov. controlled pot farms.

Hope I'm not wrong about that. I'm sure I heard that years ago on TV.

Edited by pallidin

Are you sure about that? Pharmaceutical pot cigs, and THC tabs, have been around for awhile as a direct treatment for glaucoma or something. Very hard to get, though, and they prefer dispensing THC pills.

Most of that stuff is synthetic THC.

Actually, the University of Washington in Seattle has been growing pot for decades for the manufacture of THC tablets and research. Their programs are partially sponsored by Pharma but the university is one of the very very few facilities in the nation that has Federal permission to grow. Mostly what was discovered early on in their research is that the THC tablets are ineffective at best... both the natural and synthetic. Both have been so processed to meet the crazy federal standards that they're rendered useless.

Pharma is not going to jump in on commercial pot growing operations because it would be illegal to do so. They jump on the Federally sanctioned grow operations of which there are VERY few.

Now if the federal government reclassifies cannabis to a class II narcotic, then we could see some big pharma jumping in to do some very bad things I think. Of course cannabis doesn't meet guidelines for a class I or class II narcotic.

Edited by MissMelsWell

I'm glad to see Kentucky is doing something.

It is one of the most usable useful renewable resources we have.

Hemp can be used to make hardwood flooring too. It's already been done with Bamboo and Coconut. I'd put a hemp floor in my house... 100% north american.

• Like 1

Don't worry, once the other stuff is there in a large enough amount there will be some contraband in there. The main reason why hemp growing is either outlawed or very controlled in most states.

Making hemp illegal has nothing, and I mean NOTHING to do smoking it. It is illegal cause of several lobby groups who would be threatened by the competition. Especialy those who profit from destroying this earth by deforestation.

• Like 1

Pot is on the way to being decriminalized Federally IMO. Thats why I asked the question about Big Pharm and Big Grows. Id personally be very offended by the Feds making a racket out of this one. But we do know theyll try.

Pot is on the way to being decriminalized Federally IMO. Thats why I asked the question about Big Pharm and Big Grows. Id personally be very offended by the Feds making a racket out of this one. But we do know theyll try.

That remains to be seen, but it's a distinct possibility. Although, I don't think we'll see it decriminalized in the traditional sense (I personally think the DEA will try to reclassify it as a Schedule IV drug). I say that because there are LOADS of international treaties banning it. One of the first things to happen when Wa. and Co.s initiatives passed, was half a dozen latin american countries crying foul! They're still complaining to the Feds.

Its going to be interesting to watch what the Feds do over the next 2-4 years regarding pot. What the feds do, will have a huge impact on what the big Pharma will do. I'm going to guess that big pharma will get their slice of the pie eventually... but until then, watching this play out is going to be interesting.

In 10 months, you should be able to come to Washington state and buy pot in a state run store. I expect to start seeing a lot of mellow glassy eyed tourists wandering around downtown next year. haha.

Edited by MissMelsWell

Im Oregon we dont have to travel to Washington to get pot. :tsu:

Im Oregon we dont have to travel to Washington to get pot. :tsu:

Im sure you're going to see legalization on your ballot again in Oregon in the next 2-4 years and the Initiative will look a lot lke the Wa and Co initiatives and it will pass as well. California, New Mexico and Washington DC will also legalize in the next 2-4 years I think. Just my prediction.

Edited by MissMelsWell

Washington DC. That would be grand. Spark up a bowl in front the White House. Oh the irony.

Making hemp illegal has nothing, and I mean NOTHING to do smoking it. It is illegal cause of several lobby groups who would be threatened by the competition. Especialy those who profit from destroying this earth by deforestation.

Right... like news PAPER King William Randolph Hearst used to. He was very instrumental in the illegalization . (to coin a word) ... He owned 4.1 ZILLION acres of trees.

.. i know this has been told many many times.. but it's worth repeating .. In general , for usable fiber ... ONE acre of hemp = FOUR acres of trees .. AND Hemp grows to a harvestable size in less than ONE year.. as opposed to trees , which take anywhere from 25 to 100 years to be worth cutting down.

Another thing is... To be useable for paper wood has to be broken down with poisonous chemicals.... HEMP can be broken down with water and mechanical stress.

◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊

Also... Hemp produces 2 to 3 times the amount of fibre per acre as cotton.

http://www.rollingsandsharmony.com/pages/Why-should-I-choose-Hemp-over-Cotton%3F.html

Why should I choose Hemp over Cotton?

Hemp is a wonderful alternative to cotton. We currently carry several items that are made from hemp - yoga straps, a yoga mat bag, yoga bolsters with hemp covers, and meditation cushions with hemp covers - to offer an eco-friendly option for our customers.

Benefits of Hemp

• Hemp fiber is the longest, strongest, most durable, most elastic natural vegatable fiber
  • A normal stand of 200 to 300 plants per square meter shades out weeds, leaving the fields weed-free at harvest and covered in leaves that improve the soil in a self-mulching eco-system
  • A hemp field produces a very large bulk of plant material in a short period of time (stalks can reach 15 ft tall in 70-90 growing days). Yield can reach between 3 and 7 tons of dry hemp fiber stalk per acre
  • On a sustainable basis, hemp produces more pulp per acre than timber and can be used for every quality of paper. Creating hemp pulp reduces the need for acids and its creamy color lends itself to environmentally-friendly bleaching thereby reducing use of harsh chlorine compounds.
  • Hemp softens with each washing without fiber degradation.
  • All products made solely from hemp fiber are biodegradable, compostable and recyclable. Hemp planting reduces deforestation and improves the soil upon which it is grown

Why hemp is better than cotton

• Globally, conventional cotton uses 25% of all insecticides and 10% of all pesticides. The hemp plant is highly resistant to most insect and disease, largely eliminating the need for most (or all) pesticides and herbicides.
  • It is estimated that less that 10% of the chemicals applied to cotton are accomplishing their tasks, the rest are absorbed into the plant, air, soil, water and eventually, our bodies
  • Hemp fiber is a better insulator than cotton fiber
  • Compared to cotton, hemp is stronger, more durable, won't mildew, is anti-microbial, shrinks less, is UV-protectant and uses less water
  • Cotton crops in the USA occupy 1% of the country's farmland but use 50% of all pesticides

◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊

More Hemp facts:

http://www.hempthenovel.com/facts.php

FUEL:

• The increased use of bio-mass fuels would reduce dependence on foreign oil while increasing American jobs and revenues.
  • Hemp fuel burns cleaner than petroleum, and any pollution caused by burning hemp is offset by the cleansing effect of growing the plant. Burning hemp fuel does not, therefore, contribute to global warming or acid rain.
  • A bio-mass fuel is one made from hemp and/or other plant materials
  • Hemp produces 10 times more methanol per acre than corn, and because hemp is not, like corn, a major food staple world-wide, using hemp instead of corn to produce methanol would not have the disastrous effects of raising food prices across the globe and creating famine.
  • Hemp can be blended with diesel fuel in any ratio or used alone. Biodiesel fuel is the only alternative fuel that can be used as-is, in an un-modified diesel engine.

Edited by lightly
  • Like 2

Great post lightly. Another great thing about using hemp for fuel is, it produces lots of oxygen. More then the C02 it would create burning it as a fuel. It is down right criminal that this plant isnt mass produced for nearly everything.

• Like 3