Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

"types" of experiences you believe

religious vs. ghosts vs. ??

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#46    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 3,314 posts

• The greatest story ever told is Your story.

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:01 PM

View PostBeany, on 03 February 2013 - 09:52 PM, said:

I get what you're saying. However, I didn't jump to any conclusions. I spent months studying & reading, talking to people, thinking about it, processing it, etc. However, if one is of sound mind, not under the influence of drugs, of average intelligence, reasonably educated, one's experiences can often be accepted as real. Of course there are exceptions to this, but you know, if you see it and hear it, and have your experiences confirmed by others, it would be unreasonable to reject the experience out of hand. Lack of "scientific" explanation doesn't invalidate the event.

For me, I wouldn't say a certain amount of "education" should be a standard of validity either.. I actually think god may appear more often to those in need and that just may be in poor environments where education is not as available. I dont see what education has to do with it. The less preconceived bias the better I would say.

The letter kills but The Spirit gives life. 2 Corinthians 3:6

Non-ambiguity and non-contradiction are one sided and thus unsuited to express the incomprehensible. -Jung

#47    Beany

Beany

Poltergeist

• 3,144 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:48 PM

View PostSpiritWriter, on 03 February 2013 - 10:01 PM, said:

For me, I wouldn't say a certain amount of "education" should be a standard of validity either.. I actually think god may appear more often to those in need and that just may be in poor environments where education is not as available. I dont see what education has to do with it. The less preconceived bias the better I would say.

Education occurs in many ways; I wasn't referring solely to the institutionalized, formal Western educational system. On the other hand, I'm not sure ignorance is one of the qualities that would lend weight to any attempts at validation.  and yes, preconceptions do tend to obscure instead of inform.

#48    Beany

Beany

Poltergeist

• 3,144 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:57 PM

View PostSakari, on 03 February 2013 - 07:31 PM, said:

No, not all. Many may be not be educated on photography, and what can be percieved as a " ghost " from some that have blind faith, may be logical lense flairs, dust, or any other possible photography answer.

Out of every claimed " Ghost " picture on the net, and on Tv, not one person has been able to show even one that can not be answered.

Do you have a link for your thousands of ghost pictures?.....Or would you care to share the " top " ones?

And it is not skepticism, it is knowledge, and fact.

Curious about whether you've ever seen or experienced anything that could be termed supernatural. And for me, photos don't constitute proof, but neither do they disprove anything, either. If I'm seeing, hearing, feeling, something, I'm much more likely to trust my experiences. How could someone who wasn't there possibly expect to put forward an acceptable explanation, especially when it requires that I not trust myself?

#49    John Weiss

John Weiss

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 36 posts

• I didn't believe in the afterlife, but have learned to mend my ways.

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:57 PM

I used to believe that anything out of the ordinary was a load of horse ****! But then it happened to me. I had a series of impossibly extraordinary afterlife experiences that changed my perspective on EVERYTHING. With the help of two wonderful spiritual guides, I learned many things, including a revolutionary biological science and a new interpretation of Jesus. Recently, I published an ebook that chronicles my experiences in extreme detail. In fact, if you're interested, look for my ad on the home page of this site. BUT BE WARNED: If you don't like getting goose bumps, you won't like my book.

#50    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 11,923 posts

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:04 PM

View PostBeany, on 03 February 2013 - 10:57 PM, said:

Curious about whether you've ever seen or experienced anything that could be termed supernatural.

I all ready stated in this topic I have...But, for the things I experienced here ya go.....

Yes.....

http://www.unexplain...pic=203763&st=0

Edited by Sakari, 03 February 2013 - 11:05 PM.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#51    Beany

Beany

Poltergeist

• 3,144 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:46 AM

View PostSakari, on 03 February 2013 - 11:04 PM, said:

I all ready stated in this topic I have...But, for the things I experienced here ya go.....

Yes.....

http://www.unexplain...pic=203763&st=0

Thanks for the link.

#52    orangepeaceful79

orangepeaceful79

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:36 AM

View PostSpiritWriter, on 31 January 2013 - 11:10 PM, said:

Have you had experiences? I've never had an experience that couldn't be readily and comfortably explained by known real-world phenomenon.  

Do you tend to believe others when they confide thier stories to you? I have no problem (usually) believing in an eyewitness's sincerity.  However I am quite aware of the fallibility of our human senses and how very un-objective our senses and brains can be when in the middle of an "experience".  

Do you accept some types of stories but not others?  I believe in things that can be measured objectively.  Things that are as true for one observer as they are to the next.  I'm an empirical person.  Thats what makes sense to me.  I listen with an open mind to begin with, to aborb what information there is, respectfully.  Then I apply what, if any, background knowledge I have to the topic to understand what i can.  If there is a lack of knowledge on my part I attempt to gather resources to help myself better understand.  

Do you believe in ghosts?  I've not yet seen anything that would convice me of their existence.

Do you believe in angels?  I've not yet seen anything that would convice me of their existence.

Do you believe in aliens?  I've not yet seen anything that would convice me of their existence, however I know that the universe is a very big place.   I don't believe that life could possibly only exist on our planet.  Do I believe we've been visited by this potential other life?  No.  

Do you believe in other types of spirits not listed here for example demons or fairies etc...  I've not yet seen anything that would convice me of their existence.

Do you believe in God (or gods and goddesses?)  I believe that divinity exists within us all.  But do not believe in a unique, separate, creator-type entity named God exists as such.  

Do you believe entities can communicate through dreams?  I think that dreams are the mind, unfettered at play.  The ultimate imaginative experience.  So, no.  

Do you think entities can appear in this realm and be visible for some to see? I've not yet seen anything that would convice me of that phenomenon.  

Do you believe humans can travel to the spirit world? No.

Do you believe in religious visions?  I think that people can have mental revelations that are profound and important, and that if they choose to attribute them to influence from a divine being, then they should if it helpful to them and doesn't hurt other people.  

What types of stories are valid to you? Stories that are objective, supported by irrefutable evidence, and repeatable by anyone.  

Do you base what is valid upon your own experiences? Having had no experience I would term "paranormal" or "supernatural" I can't really answer this.  If in fact i saw something unexplainable I would doubt it however, knowing how fallible my own human senses are.  

If you do accept some reports and not others.. why?  See above answer to nearly identical question......

#53    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

Fifth Element

• 9,874 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:41 PM

View Postnotforgotten, on 03 February 2013 - 06:33 PM, said:

Jesus said that we are all gods.

Could you quote me chapter and verse for this, please? I've never seen that claim made before. Thanks.

Life is all too much ............................................. and not enough.

It is only when you form your question precisely and accurately that you receive the true answer.

#54    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 3,314 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:01 AM

View Postouija ouija, on 04 February 2013 - 11:41 PM, said:

Could you quote me chapter and verse for this, please? I've never seen that claim made before. Thanks.

Psalms 82:6
John 10:34

Btw I have a muslim friend who heard the word of god speak to her ear and told her to turn to this verse and read it (john 10) she had never opened the bible before or even considered it. Not only that but a day or two later she was riding the bus and was sitting next to an attractive young man and she struck up a conversation with him. She asked him what he was reading and guess what it was - John 10...  she was very surprised first because of the coincidence in bible verse and secondly because he didnt look like the type to be reading the bible at all... She told me about what happened and so I too read that verse and had never (to my memory) recalled reading that verse or hearing a sermon about it and I had been in church for 12 years. The very next Sunday my pastor preached on these verses...

It is not uncommon for synchronic events to occur when it comes to scripture so I wasn't "amazed" - (edit:okay  let me not lie I was feeling amazed that weekend) :) but it sure is noteworthy! :)
I love that verse too... very powerful/meaningful

Edited by SpiritWriter, 05 February 2013 - 12:12 AM.

Non-ambiguity and non-contradiction are one sided and thus unsuited to express the incomprehensible. -Jung

#55    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

Fifth Element

• 9,874 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:12 AM

View PostSpiritWriter, on 05 February 2013 - 12:01 AM, said:

Psalms 82:6
John 10:34

Thank you.

Life is all too much ............................................. and not enough.

It is only when you form your question precisely and accurately that you receive the true answer.

#56    notforgotten

notforgotten

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

• The educated lie can be the most deceiving...gullible people believe them without question.

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:20 AM

Thank you SpiritWriter. I may have never of found that scripture.

John 10:34 Jesus answered them, "Is it not written in your law, 'I said, "You are gods" '?

Psalms 82:6 I said, "You are gods, and all of you are children of the Most High.

#57    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 3,314 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:31 AM

View Postnotforgotten, on 05 February 2013 - 12:20 AM, said:

Thank you SpiritWriter. I may have never of found that scripture.

John 10:34 Jesus answered them, "Is it not written in your law, 'I said, "You are gods" '?

Psalms 82:6 I said, "You are gods, and all of you are children of the Most High.

I knew it was john 10 from the story I just told you, then I saw it said 'is it not written' so I knew there would be a reference verse.. just a little internet search.... ;)

#58    notforgotten

notforgotten

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

• The educated lie can be the most deceiving...gullible people believe them without question.

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:56 AM

View PostSpiritWriter, on 05 February 2013 - 12:31 AM, said:

I knew it was john 10 from the story I just told you, then I saw it said 'is it not written' so I knew there would be a reference verse.. just a little internet search.... ;)

The internet search makes it easy. Thanks for the info.

#59    Beany

Beany

Poltergeist

• 3,144 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:49 PM

While thinking about these posts, it occurred to me that many of us accept what we've seen or experienced as fact, or real, and where belief comes in to play is what we make of those experiences, how we process & interpret them. Most of us do this through our own cultural bias, which includes our language and how we use it. Some say they saw, for instance, a "ghost", others a "spirit", some would say "entity" or "orb", I use "spook", others might say "demon", etc. For me it's clear there are other things living among us, I'll use the word spook as a general inclusive work, but as to what they might be, how they exist, why not everyone sees them, etc. is mostly what UM is about, I think. Many of us are seeing or experiencing the same things, but what we make of it varies widely.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users