Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

My, my, - ARMED guard stops school shooter

Rafterman

Apparently local law enforcement is now crediting an ARMED resource officer for stopping the shooter in yesterday's Atlanta school shooting.

I'm sure HuffPo, MSNBC, the Daily Show, Rachel Maddow, etc. (you know, the Liberal Entertainment Complex) will be yucking it up over this one as much as they did about the guard leaving his unloaded pistol in the bathroom last week. We'll have to see how MSNBC edits the tape though first - might end up with the armed guard being the shooter, who knows.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/world/5...-says.html.csp

The armed resource officer who took the gun away was off-duty and at the school, but police didn’t release details on him or whether he is regularly at Price. Since 20 children and six adults were shot to death at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut in December, calls for armed officers in every school have resonated across the country.

And let's throw this little ditty in while we're at it - clearly the Newtown Board of Education is just a shill for the NRA.

http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/l...320221.html?dr

"The Newtown Board of Education will be asking the town to make room for more armed police officers in its budget."

• Like 2

Getting more professionals sure beats arming the janitors.

The point is much less that somebody did his bloody job, but why the system is so screwed up that you need armed guards to start with.

The world is a dangerous place at times - why would anyone think schools would be exempt from that?

• Like 2

The world is a dangerous place at times - why would anyone think schools would be exempt from that?

And you think that this should be the norm or are you just being cynic?

• Like 2

Wonder why the guy was "off-duty" at 1:50 in the afternoon?

!4 year-old with guns *sigh*

• Like 1

Getting more professionals sure beats arming the janitors.

The point is much less that somebody did his bloody job, but why the system is so screwed up that you need armed guards to start with.

Its more than just the system that's screwed up. It's the whole damn world.
  • Like 4

Its more than just the system that's screwed up. It's the whole damn world.

Agreed. Although I feel it necessary to add that the prevalence of school shootings seems to occur predeominantly in the US. At least this one appears to have involved a "beef" between two individuals and wasn´t just a turkey-shoot.

Sounds like some may be upset that having armed persons in a school worked.

• Like 2

Sounds like some may be upset that having armed persons in a school worked.

it is more that some are upset that an armed guard in a school is a necessity.

• Like 3

It actually worked. Good. :)

would be pretty damn awkward if it didn't.

• Like 2

it is more that some are upset that an armed guard in a school is a necessity.

You know, I did think you were an objective thinker before, but now I just think you have an agenda, and since you're agenda is being refuted with this particular instance, you're grasping by switching to a broader topic.

I too think it sucks that we need armed guards, but I'm not willing to leave law abiding citizens exposed because of the crazies. Ask Mexico how well their gun regulations work, I bet the law abiding people of Juarez wish they could defend themselves.

• Like 2

You know, I did think you were an objective thinker before, but now I just think you have an agenda, and since you're agenda is being refuted with this particular instance, you're grasping by switching to a broader topic.

I too think it sucks that we need armed guards, but I'm not willing to leave law abiding citizens exposed because of the crazies. Ask Mexico how well their gun regulations work, I bet the law abiding people of Juarez wish they could defend themselves.

I have no agenda, but I grew up in a time when the biggest worry a parent had about his kids drowned in the river or got a bloody nose in a school brawl. And I would like that time to come back for the sake of my grandkids.

• Like 3

I have no agenda, but I grew up in a time when the biggest worry a parent had about his kids drowned in the river or got a bloody nose in a school brawl. And I would like that time to come back for the sake of my grandkids.

Fair enough, and I too would like that. Unfortunately, in my opinion, we're gonna need citizens to be armed to have that ideal again.

On a side note, in the time you speak, people in general were raised with guns, weren't they?

• Like 2

Fair enough, and I too would like that. Unfortunately, in my opinion, we're gonna need citizens to be armed to have that ideal again.

On a side note, in the time you speak, people in general were raised with guns, weren't they?

Strangely it looks like in those days there were less guns... but that is OK, to each his fantasy.

Strangely it looks like in those days there were less guns... but that is OK, to each his fantasy.

You're right, there were less guns, also quite a few less people. They also used to put mentally ill people in hospitals against their will more often.

Still doesn't solve Mexico's problems, they have less guns. Weird, just like the scenario you all say wouldn't happen here, the only people with guns in Mexico are the police, military, and bad guys.

• Like 1

You're right, there were less guns, also quite a few less people. They also used to put mentally ill people in hospitals against their will more often.

Still doesn't solve Mexico's problems, they have less guns. Weird, just like the scenario you all say wouldn't happen here, the only people with guns in Mexico are the police, military, and bad guys.

Gun regulations lead nowhere if you have a neighbor supplying your population with illegal guns. And for that I don't need to look to Mexico, Chicago and NYC are good enough examples.

Edited by questionmark
  • Like 1

With everything I've said, I have to say this; I don't own an AR-15 or AK-47. I don't own any of the 'scary' guns the media is hyping up. I just want the common people to still have access to them, because I don't buy into this media hype. You all think that getting rid of a 30 round magazine, or not letting someone own an AR-15 is magically going to fix these tragedies, but they won't. I'm not any more worried about a guy with a 30 round magazine in his AR-15, than an individual with a pump action .22. Both guns are deadly, and I treat them as equal threats.

They would both be equally dead with armed opposition. My 30-06 will leave a bigger hole at the same distance as an AR-15, and sounds much more intimidating.

• Like 2

Gun regulations lead nowhere if you have a neighbor supplying your population with illegal guns. And for that I don't need to look to Mexico, Chicago and NYC are good enough examples.

Those cities are in the same country, so I see your point (hence why I've never thrown those examples back at the gun control advocates). Looking at Mexico shows that the guns will just come from another country.

Wait, I forgot, our war on drugs demonstrates that we can prevent illegal goods from crossing our borders... my bad.

• Like 1

Those cities are in the same country, so I see your point (hence why I've never thrown those examples back at the gun control advocates). Looking at Mexico shows that the guns will just come from another country.

Wait, I forgot, our war on drugs demonstrates that we can prevent illegal goods from crossing our borders... my bad.

guns can only come from those who make them.

guns can only come from those who make them.

Now we're resorting to vagueness? Are you suggesting that if American gun makers stopped making guns, there would be none?

I didn't realize Phizer made powder cocaine.

• Like 2

Now we're resorting to vagueness? Are you suggesting that if American gun makers stopped making guns, there would be none?

I didn't realize Phizer made powder cocaine.

No, but as you were so keen about pointing out Mexico I thought I take you up on that:

It is pretty cynic to be the cause of a problem (cause the drugs are not for consuming in Mexico) and give them the means to fight their drug wars and then bemoan that their gun control does not work.

I rest my case.

• Like 1

Good to see a guard managed to get the gun from him. How did the kid get the gun in the first place though? Did he get it from the black market? Or did he grab it from his parents nightstand?

• Like 1