Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

My, my, - ARMED guard stops school shooter


  • Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#61    questionmark

questionmark

    Cinicus Magnus

  • Member
  • 39,757 posts
  • Joined:26 Jun 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Greece and Des Moines, IA

  • In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:34 PM

View PostMichelle, on 01 February 2013 - 08:25 PM, said:

Here is a more current one, but we are still missing a few years between '78 and '91.


http://www.worldtvpc...-all-time-high/

Exactly what we needed, so we can see that from about 5 hours in the 50s it grew to over 8 hours in 2009. On average people watch TV about the same time they sleep or are at work.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#62    Michelle

Michelle

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 18,025 posts
  • Joined:03 Jan 2004
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Tennessee

  • Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:08 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 01 February 2013 - 08:34 PM, said:

Exactly what we needed, so we can see that from about 5 hours in the 50s it grew to over 8 hours in 2009. On average people watch TV about the same time they sleep or are at work.

I thought you would have found it by the time I checked the roast and washed dishes. :P

I don't know if I would put it down to TV though. Remember how Elvis swinging his hips, The Beatles and rock music in general were going to corrupt us all? All I used to read, from the age of about eight, was paranormal, Edgar Allen Poe, Alfred Hitchcock, Steven King, etc. and mostly watched scary movies on TV. For the average person those sort of things are a blip in their lives. I never had to have anyone sit down and explain to me that those things weren't real. I think there is something inherently wrong with people who can't grasp reality and some people are simply born a little odd...some more than others. One child I knew, when he was about two years old was already being extremely cruel to animals. They moved away and I lost touch when he was five, but he had killed six kittens and tried to kill the mother cat just before they moved. His mother didn't know how to deal with him...I'd hate to know what he did later on.


#63    questionmark

questionmark

    Cinicus Magnus

  • Member
  • 39,757 posts
  • Joined:26 Jun 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Greece and Des Moines, IA

  • In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:13 PM

View PostMichelle, on 01 February 2013 - 09:08 PM, said:

I thought you would have found it by the time I checked the roast and washed dishes. :P

I don't know if I would put it down to TV though. Remember how Elvis swinging his hips, The Beatles and rock music in general were going to corrupt us all? All I used to read, from the age of about eight, was paranormal, Edgar Allen Poe, Alfred Hitchcock, Steven King, etc. and mostly watched scary movies on TV. For the average person those sort of things are a blip in their lives. I never had to have anyone sit down and explain to me that those things weren't real. I think there is something inherently wrong with people who can't grasp reality and some people are simply born a little odd...some more than others. One child I knew, when he was about two years old was already being extremely cruel to animals. They moved away and I lost touch when he was five, but he had killed six kittens and tried to kill the mother cat just before they moved. His mother didn't know how to deal with him...I'd hate to know what he did later on.

Naturally it is not all down to.... (put in as needed), it is a combination of many factors, the question is how these factors interact. A problematic upbringing, family violence and violent TV shows are surely not what you need to raise a balanced person. But just parking the kids without a meaningful social interaction in front of the box surely does nothing for the mental health of a country.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#64    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

    Government Agent

  • Member
  • 3,570 posts
  • Joined:16 Dec 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Free America

  • it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:18 PM

IMO TV propogates the Sheeple mentality. Itleast on a cpu you have to use your brain to navigate at the minimum.

Edited by AsteroidX, 01 February 2013 - 09:18 PM.


#65    Michelle

Michelle

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 18,025 posts
  • Joined:03 Jan 2004
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Tennessee

  • Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:24 PM

There is no rhyme or reason to it. I've known lots of kids that were brought up in the most adverse of situations that turned out great. People can have four or five kids, raise them all the same and one of them will go rogue. Everybody is wired differently.


#66    Michelle

Michelle

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 18,025 posts
  • Joined:03 Jan 2004
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Tennessee

  • Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:25 PM

View PostAsteroidX, on 01 February 2013 - 09:18 PM, said:

IMO TV propogates the Sheeple mentality. Itleast on a cpu you have to use your brain to navigate at the minimum.

Except for the people that think everything on the internet is true.


#67    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

    Government Agent

  • Member
  • 3,570 posts
  • Joined:16 Dec 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Free America

  • it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:30 PM

Quote

Except for the people that think everything on the internet is true.

Yeah not sure which is worse. That or those that take modern media seriously and as truth.


#68    questionmark

questionmark

    Cinicus Magnus

  • Member
  • 39,757 posts
  • Joined:26 Jun 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Greece and Des Moines, IA

  • In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:31 PM

View PostMichelle, on 01 February 2013 - 09:24 PM, said:

There is no rhyme or reason to it. I've known lots of kids that were brought up in the most adverse of situations that turned out great. People can have four or five kids, raise them all the same and one of them will go rogue. Everybody is wired differently.

Not every person, even under the same roof, makes the same experiences.Small things, that at the time seem insignificant,  can make a huge difference in the development of a child. If the kid has nowhere to turn to when not being able to make sense out of a situation then a trauma forms, trauma leads to instability or delusion.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#69    Michelle

Michelle

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 18,025 posts
  • Joined:03 Jan 2004
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Tennessee

  • Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:34 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 01 February 2013 - 09:31 PM, said:

Not every person, even under the same roof, makes the same experiences.Small things, that at the time seem insignificant,  can make a huge difference in the development of a child. If the kid has nowhere to turn to when not being able to make sense out of a situation then a trauma forms, trauma leads to instability or delusion.

I know...I only have to look at my own family to see it.


#70    jugoso

jugoso

    One Love

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts
  • Joined:13 Apr 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Mexico

  • "Freedom is free of the need to feel free. Free your mind and you ass will follow. The kingdom of heaven is within"
    G.Clinton

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:03 PM

View PostSweetpumper, on 01 February 2013 - 05:42 PM, said:

We have a lot less people hanging from bridges without heads.

Very true.  And I am not by any means talking about the overall level of violence in general but rather gun policies around schools. The city I live in is in a US consulate advisory "stay away from zone" yet the schools don´t have metal detectors, and I can only recall one incident of a school shooting and that was in Juarez and cartel members were involved. But hey if some people want to believe handing out guns to everyone will help the situation then they are free to do so.

"Freedom is free of the need to feel free.
Free your mind and you ass will follow.
The kingdom of heaven is within"
G.Clinton

#71    lightly

lightly

    metaphysical therapist

  • Member
  • 7,002 posts
  • Joined:01 Apr 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Michigan U.S.A.

  • "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:14 AM

A general increase in violence in american society  does seem to parallel the rise of  violent TV and  violent video games..  It has to be a contributing factor.   Kids get the message that killing is just a normal part of life , and can even be sort of fun !*        Militarism also teaches kids that killing can be a good thing  and  that life is expendable.   Killing, or the use of force to get what you want,  is just a necessary part of human existence somehow.      The idea of killing another human being has become far too acceptable.
    in the old days  LOL   we were taught that life is precious.     A lot of kids don't seem to be taught that nowadays ?

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#72    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

    Government Agent

  • Member
  • 3,570 posts
  • Joined:16 Dec 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Free America

  • it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:17 AM

The most violent thing in society is mainstream media. The way they portray the violence any no brain nut knows they can get 5 minutes of fame.


#73    Michelle

Michelle

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 18,025 posts
  • Joined:03 Jan 2004
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Tennessee

  • Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:22 AM

View PostStellar, on 01 February 2013 - 05:19 PM, said:

Good to see a guard managed to get the gun from him. How did the kid get the gun in the first place though? Did he get it from the black market? Or did he grab it from his parents nightstand?

It has now been reported that it was a gang related shooting. Wasn't a big surprise to me, knowing the area.


#74    Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts
  • Joined:26 Jul 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Free America

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:24 AM

View PostMichelle, on 02 February 2013 - 04:22 AM, said:

It has now been reported that it was a gang related shooting. Wasn't a big surprise to me, knowing the area.

Gang leaders usually distribute guns to their members, so it could have come from anywhere. Stolen, bought, or gotten from the black market.

A man's ethical behaviour should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death. - Albert Einstein

#75    minera

minera

    Remote Viewer

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts
  • Joined:19 Oct 2003
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Canada

  • There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,: Than are dreamed of in your philosophy. Act II, scene 2:.. Hamlet

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:33 AM

what ever happened to schools that used to teach reading,writing and arithmetic and all the little kids were safe enjoying life? So much for the American dream. Violence is glorified and is now the norm and somewhere in the last two or three generations we missed the boat.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users