Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

More Horsmeat in your diet

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:39 PM

Yummy !! This is gonna go over well for BK

http://www.dailymail...l#axzz2Jgp3NFoN

#2    Gromdor

Gromdor

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:44 PM

You know, I never understood what was so terrible about eating horsemeat.

#3    Dan'O

Dan'O

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:52 PM

They used to sell it in Seattle in WWII. It was cheaper then beef...

Edited by Dan'O, 01 February 2013 - 10:56 PM.

#4    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,606 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:01 PM

View PostDan, on 01 February 2013 - 10:52 PM, said:

They used to sell it in Seattle in WWII. It was cheaper then beef...

They used to sell it everywhere when there were still enough work horses. Something had to be done with them... besides bone glue.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#5    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,468 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:09 PM

I would much rather be told I am eating horse meat than NOT being told until later that the meat is halal. Now the shops and fast food chains have to tell us, but sure there was a time when they did not. KFC is one place I will never go to.

How can people be so hum hoe about horse meat and yet ok about meat for sale which has been slaughtered because of a religion?
Where are the animal rights brigade now? they were quick enough to get fur off the racks but they seem ok with butchered and inhumanly slaughtered animals in fast food and supermarket chains???

Eating horse meat is no different from eating cow, the only difference is horses are working and are intelligent animals, they are not bred for eating.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#6    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,950 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:17 PM

People who eat horsemeat can have an allergic reaction to tetanus vaccine because the horse immune system is used to create the vaccine.
http://survivalism.w...rse-meat-primer

I would eat horse before dying from starvation, but only then.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#7    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 7,468 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:25 PM

View Postand then, on 01 February 2013 - 11:17 PM, said:

People who eat horsemeat can have an allergic reaction to tetanus vaccine because the horse immune system is used to create the vaccine.
http://survivalism.w...rse-meat-primer

I would eat horse before dying from starvation, but only then.
This is what many people have been saying.
These horses were never meant to be used as meat to be eaten by humans.
I doubt in countries were they do eat horse meat, that the horses would be having the vaccine in the first place.

Funny how they are telling us that the meat is safe and yet they had no idea the horses were being mixed with other meats in the first place!

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#8    darkmoonlady

darkmoonlady

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

• Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'-Shawshank Redemption/Life is a buffet and most poor suckers are starving to death-Auntie Mame

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:40 AM

Trust me you don't want to eat horse, based on the fly sprays, the bute, the worming medicines, etc, none of which are in any sense good for humans to consume. They don't raise horses for human consupmtion anymore in the US because of the vaccine issue as posted earlier. In Europe a small amount of horses are specificially raised for human consumption and are generally free of any dangerous chemicals but since none of this was regulated at the Irish processing plant, you can well imagine the "source" for those horses were former race horses and the like. Race horses are pumped full of chemicals some of them cancer causing in humans.

“The beauty of religious mania is that it has the power to explain everything. Once God (or Satan) is accepted as the first cause of everything which happens in the mortal world, nothing is left to chance …or change... logic can be happily tossed out the window. Religious mania is one of the few infallible ways of responding to the worlds vagaries, because it totally eliminates pure accident. To the true religious maniac, it’s ALL on purpose” – Stephen King, The Stand

#9    mysticwerewolf

mysticwerewolf

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

• I'm baaaaaack

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:04 AM

i have eaten horse several times over the years ( back before horses became pets) and i have to say it is a good meat, very tasty ( a little tough though) i would be more than willing to eat it again if i could find it.

#10    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:25 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 01 February 2013 - 11:09 PM, said:

Where are the animal rights brigade now? they were quick enough to get fur off the racks but they seem ok with butchered and inhumanly slaughtered animals in fast food and supermarket chains???

Animal welfare groups have been advocating against Kosher and Halal ritual slaughter for many years.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/2977086.stm

http://www.globalpos...ck-halal-kosher

http://www.animalifi...s-video-12.html

Anyways, no worries about not getting enough horsey burgers in the U.S.A. Ever since the US banned horse slaughter, Canada has increased its production of horse "products".   http://www.hsicanada...orse_slaughter/

The Canadian government has no qualms about clubbing seals (cuz they're eating all the cod dont'cha know?) slaughtering horses or culling thousands of dogs on Indian reserves.

#11    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 7,468 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:12 PM

View Postredhen, on 02 February 2013 - 03:25 PM, said:

Animal welfare groups have been advocating against Kosher and Halal ritual slaughter for many years.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/2977086.stm    Britain 2003

http://www.globalpos...ck-halal-kosher    Good on the Dutch

http://www.animalifi...s-video-12.html

They need to shout far loader than that, there are halal shops all over the place in Tower Hamlets and Luton.

Their campaign needs to really step up a gear, you can now buy halal in many of the supermarkets.....its a disgrace!

I want to see the animal rights campaigners stand outside the supermarkets and halal shops with their banners like they did with the fur shops!!!

And yes, I have told these supermarkets what I think, but seeing that most are owned by the Jews, its not getting me far. surely the animal right campaigners can do something more?

#12    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,298 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:22 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 01 February 2013 - 11:09 PM, said:

I would much rather be told I am eating horse meat than NOT being told until later that the meat is halal. Now the shops and fast food chains have to tell us, but sure there was a time when they did not. KFC is one place I will never go to.

How can people be so hum hoe about horse meat and yet ok about meat for sale which has been slaughtered because of a religion?

Eating horse meat is no different from eating cow, the only difference is horses are working and are intelligent animals, they are not bred for eating.

Yeah, horses are very intelligent. I won't eat dolphin either. But I do like tuna and some other fishes.

And even if were stranded somewhere with my precious pet dog, I don't think I could bring myself to eat her, even if she were already dead and I was starving.
I think I would just bury her and eat grass, bugs and berries instead.

Edited by pallidin, 02 February 2013 - 06:23 PM.

#13    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:40 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 02 February 2013 - 05:12 PM, said:

They need to shout far loader than that, there are halal shops all over the place in Tower Hamlets and Luton. Their campaign needs to really step up a gear, you can now buy halal in many of the supermarkets.....its a disgrace!

Supply and demand. There seems to be a fast growing Muslim population in Europe. Also, the moment you criticize Kosher or Halal slaughter methods, you are immediately labelled an anti-Semite or Islamophobe.

In the same article, the director of the World Halal Forum Europe Project, Abdalhamid Evans, cites Temple Grandin as his authority on animal welfare. Ms Grandin has become somewhat of a celebrity because of her autism which allegedly allows her some kind of special ability to know what cattle are feeling. Her celebrity status has even her earned an HBO movie.

The scary part is this women has "designed over 50% cattle slaughterhouses in the country". She thinks that slitting an animals throat, without stunning it first, and letting it bleed to death is a perfectly acceptable ethical practice. If you search for "kosher halal animal welfare" in google, the second article at the top of the list is her paper on Kosher and Halal slaughter,and how humane it can be.

Naturally she has her critics,  but she keeps telling governments and meat processors exactly what they want to hear, so it's going to be a big challenge to change this bizarre and inhumane practice.

Here's a good summary of the problem with Ms Grandin;

"The article reports that after watching the rotating pen hang cows upside down and then slit their throats, slaughterhouse workers now listen for signs of consciousness before dumping the cows’ bodies. Grandin used her divine gift of intuition and many years of animal behavior expertise to access the situation: “I didn’t hear any cows mooing,” Grandin said. “When they do things wrong, cows moo.”

Am I wrong to be annoyed by Temple Grandin’s existence? It’s not that I don’t like her. It’s just that I’m irritated by the way people flock to her for answers as though she were some sort of psychic bridge connecting humans to the minds of animals. Why don’t people take a much shorter leap of faith and listen to the voice in their heads that says all living creatures wanna keep on living, they don’t wanna die in some multi-million dollar “humane” slaughter complex?"

#14    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,298 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:48 PM

What about non-mammal fish, shrimp, etc...  netted or captured, brought out of the water, suffocate, and eventually becomes someone's meal?

Is that inhumane?

#15    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 7,468 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:10 PM

View Postpallidin, on 02 February 2013 - 06:22 PM, said:

Yeah, horses are very intelligent. I won't eat dolphin either. But I do like tuna and some other fishes.

And even if were stranded somewhere with my precious pet dog, I don't think I could bring myself to eat her, even if she were already dead and I was starving.
I think I would just bury her and eat grass, bugs and berries instead.
Oh no, i could never ever eat my dog, the thought of it makes breaks my heart. Bugs and berries? yep, I can live with that. :tu:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users