Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Study:Humans killed off the thylacine

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Common Sense Aficionado

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:39 AM

View Postfreetoroam, on 02 February 2013 - 07:57 PM, said:

“Many people believe that bounty hunting alone could not have driven the thylacine extinct and therefore claim that an unknown disease epidemic must have been responsible,”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To a certain extent they are right, but the deseased epidemic is known as  MAN.

Give it another 100 years, you will have lots more threads like this, as long as man does not kill himself first.

Always sucks to think we may have been completely responsible for the complete extinction of a species,you never know what nature is capable of on her own though.Devil facial tumour disease is eradication by nature of the devils and i hate to see it.Always liked those animals.Taz was my favorite as a kid hahaha

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#17    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:18 PM

View Postthe L, on 01 February 2013 - 11:26 PM, said:

Natural selection at best.

How is it natural selection when there is a bounty on the animals?  It's closer to say genocide.

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#18    Eihpospiritamer

Eihpospiritamer

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Location:Your worst nightmares and your wildest dreams... 0.o

• She has me like a pices when I am weak. I've been locked inside your heart shaped box for weeks.

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:24 PM

Did we not already know this? What else did hunters try to blame the Thyacline's extinction on?

Thyaclines had managed so well for so long, man kind are the spanner in the works.

#19    Hawkin

Hawkin

LiverEatenJohnson

• 2,023 posts

• Some say he is dead.
    Some say he will never be.

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:33 PM

Saying disease played a part in extinction sounds to me like an excuse for irresponsibility and not wanting to fess up that humans were mainly the cause of extinction.

#20    csspwns

csspwns

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

• "Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish."

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:55 AM

yea europeans are fruckers

#21    Chooky88

Chooky88

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:09 PM

What moron funded this study? Every Aussie knows this as a fact we wiped em out in about 50 years as a bounty to protection sheep farmers. what is the next study? Humans are responsible for wars? People find that a good rack is likely to lead to more funding of inane useless studies???

#22    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,909 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:58 PM

View Postcoolguy, on 03 February 2013 - 05:54 AM, said:

I can believe this people been killing off animals for millions of years
We have not been around for millions of years.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#23    Mantis914

Mantis914

Psychic Spy

• 1,205 posts

• You have shown me a strange image, and they are strange prisoners. Plato

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:18 PM

Beautiful animal...   Would be nice to see one out in wild as a cryptid but little chance of that happening...

#24    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,909 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:24 PM

View Postcsspwns, on 04 February 2013 - 05:55 AM, said:

yea europeans are fruckers
Are you ok with  an african man murdering the elephants to sell the tusks to a Chinese man?
Fruckers are not just limited to one race.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#25    MJNYC

MJNYC

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 222 posts

• The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. Mohandas K. Gandhi

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:15 PM

Shame on us. All of us.

#26    Lady Llayne

Lady Llayne

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 32 posts

• Be happy, you are the only one that controls you. Never mind the rest. Its mind over matter, if you don't mind they don't matter :)

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:24 PM

I have to admit, if you think about it, its not a big surprise that we wiped them out... Humanity is a plauge unto itself. Which itself is set for it own destruction.

#27    ReddWolfe

ReddWolfe

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:56 AM

i love thylacine, this is probably correct we also whiped out the dodos.

#28    CH32

CH32

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 12 posts

• My cyber stalker is reading this !

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:39 PM

Did we not already know this? What else did hunters try to blame the Thyacline's extinction on? Thyaclines had managed so well for so long, man kind are the spanner in the works.
Yeah... that was how I had also always understood it !

#29    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• 2,050 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:16 AM

Humans certainly are responsible given the bounty on the animals but disease could have also been a factor. It's possible that the introduction of placental mammals as unintentional prey items (like sheep, cats, rabbits, etc.) could have introduced diseases in an already dwindling population. Currently there is a contagious form of cancer that is killing of the Tasmanian Devils, who have taken the place of the Thylacine as top predator on the island.

There was some article I read on the web that said early settlers to Tasmania occasionally kept the Thylacine as a pet whenever they found a young one. They were said to combine some the best traits of both cats and dogs, and were good watch"dogs". It's a shame that we killed off both a beautiful and apparently useful companion animal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users