Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Obamacare average $20K per family!

• Please log in to reply
184 replies to this topic

#121    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:34 PM

Ill just pay the fine. Thank You have a nice day.

#122    Startraveler

Startraveler

Fleet Captain

• 4,524 posts

• Knowledge Brings Fear.

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:11 PM

View PostAsteroidX, on 17 February 2013 - 09:34 PM, said:

Ill just pay the fine. Thank You have a nice day.

You don't have insurance now?

#123    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:13 PM

Cant afford it.

My average yearly healthcare costs fall well below any insurance policy before or after Obamacare can offer me.

Edited by AsteroidX, 17 February 2013 - 10:14 PM.

#124    Startraveler

Startraveler

Fleet Captain

• 4,524 posts

• Knowledge Brings Fear.

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:14 PM

View PostAsteroidX, on 17 February 2013 - 10:13 PM, said:

Cant afford it.

My average yearly healthcare costs fall well below any insurance policy before or after Obamacare can offer me.

Having predictable health expenses that you know you won't be able to handle on your own (which you don't) is only one reason to have health insurance. The other would be to protect against the risk of unforeseen health expenses. You're protected from that somewhat under the new rules next year, but there will still be financial risks to going uninsured if an accident or illness occurs.

It might make sense for you to stay uninsured (especially if you're not particularly risk averse and are willing to keep chancing it). But it's worth at least exploring your options, for instance by figuring out what kind of assistance will be available to you: http://healthreform....calculator.aspx.

Edited by Startraveler, 17 February 2013 - 11:15 PM.

#125    F3SS

F3SS

Telekinetic

• 6,758 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:17 PM

I don't either. A little over a year from now I'll have it by marriage. Until then I'll take my chances like always. Even if I weren't getting married I still wouldn't buy it out of defiance. I'll be damned if someone who works for me gets to tell me what I have to buy simply for being alive. You now have to pay an insurance company or corporation to be a law abiding American these days because the people you employ said so. I'm sure our employees aren't getting a kickback for this, right? Far as I'm concerned when the people you pay step out of line like this I call it insubordination.

Posted Image

#126    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:19 PM

I do keep my open for an option that will fit my needs and circumstances. It just is not available and I dont see the option there under what Ive seen from Obamacare that wouldnt further put me in the poorhouse.

Well see after the sequestor when pregnant women cant get snap anymore. Im more worried about that then my own healthcare needs atm tbh.

#127    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:21 PM

I don't either. A little over a year from now I'll have it by marriage. Until then I'll take my chances like always. Even if I weren't getting married I still wouldn't buy it out of defiance. I'll be damned if someone who works for me gets to tell me what I have to buy simply for being alive. You now have to pay an insurance company or corporation to be a law abiding American these days because the people you employ said so. I'm sure our employees aren't getting a kickback for this, right? Far as I'm concerned when the people you pay step out of line like this I call it insubordination.

Indeed Insurance in general is a scam. Only useful if you need it is a great business model. But when you need it we dictate what you get. An even greater business model.

#128    F3SS

F3SS

Telekinetic

• 6,758 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:25 PM

View PostAsteroidX, on 17 February 2013 - 11:21 PM, said:

Indeed Insurance in general is a scam. Only useful if you need it is a great business model. But when you need it we dictate what you get. An even greater business model.
Be that as it may, it is still a choice wether to purchase and who you purchase from. Now you still have a choice but it's wether to buy expensive crappy health insurance or pay a fine with an official IRS gun to your head. Don't say that's paranoid because if you are defiant enough, ultimately there will be a gun pointed at you.

Posted Image

#129    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:32 PM

That being said. One must have interaction with the IRS for said gun to come into play.

#130    F3SS

F3SS

Telekinetic

• 6,758 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:35 PM

View PostAsteroidX, on 17 February 2013 - 11:32 PM, said:

That being said. One must have interaction with the IRS for said gun to come into play.
Well you just may when you don't pay that fine...

Posted Image

#131    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:44 PM

Gotta say its fun living on the edge sometimes. :gun:  IRS can kiss my bumm. They took my family in the Inheritance tax for everything my grandparents worked there lives for and now they aint getting a red dime outta me. The banks broke my Dad and Mom with there retirement devaluation....Now there working into there late 60's to survive as a result. Me Im.....just not gonna say anymore but I have a kid and I give a crud what his life will look like moreso then my own.

#132    Startraveler

Startraveler

Fleet Captain

• 4,524 posts

• Knowledge Brings Fear.

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:49 PM

View PostAsteroidX, on 17 February 2013 - 11:21 PM, said:

Sounds like you're thinking health insurance is (or should be) something that only people who are guaranteed to immediately get more out than they pay in--say, because they're sick--should buy. In which case it would actually be a terrible business model. You can't have people waiting to buy it until they get sick or get hit by a car or whatever. If only sick or bleeding people are buying it, it doesn't work.

If private health insurance is going to be viable you have to have something in place to keep healthy people from waiting until they get sick to sign up. You can either do that by actively pushing people to start buying it when they're still healthy (which obviously many of you find very offensive) or by turning sick people away or otherwise penalizing people for their medical history when they try to buy insurance (which many people also find very offensive). Neither one of these approaches is going to leave everybody happy and everybody thinking it's fair.

I guess the question you have to ask yourself is: if you can't afford insurance right now and you get sick or develop some sort of health problem while you're uninsured, should that make you uninsurable for the rest of your life (or at least is that something you should be penalized for if you try to buy insurance next year or in 5 years or in 10 years)? If you think yes, then kudos on your consistency.

Edited by Startraveler, 17 February 2013 - 11:50 PM.

#133    F3SS

F3SS

Telekinetic

• 6,758 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:03 AM

View PostStartraveler, on 17 February 2013 - 11:49 PM, said:

Sounds like you're thinking health insurance is (or should be) something that only people who are guaranteed to immediately get more out than they pay in--say, because they're sick--should buy. In which case it would actually be a terrible business model. You can't have people waiting to buy it until they get sick or get hit by a car or whatever. If only sick or bleeding people are buying it, it doesn't work.

Then what's the rationale behind now having to insure for preexisting conditions? I always thought doing the opposite was smart business. What makes you think people won't be paying the cheaper fines only to buy insurance when they need it? If preexisting conditions are covered, why not?

I guess the question you have to ask yourself is: if you can't afford insurance right now and you get sick or develop some sort of health problem while you're uninsured, should that make you uninsurable for the rest of your life (or at least is that something you should be penalized for if you try to buy insurance next year or in 5 years or in 10 years)? If you think yes, then kudos on your consistency.
Nah, you should be able to do what you want with your own life and if you didn't make the right decisions then that's life and it's not always nice and easy.

Edited by -Mr_Fess-, 18 February 2013 - 12:03 AM.

Posted Image

#134    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:11 AM

TBH Im more likely to get DNR tattoed on my chest.

#135    F3SS

F3SS

Telekinetic

• 6,758 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:11 AM

What's DNR?

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users