Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mysterious Purple Goo

AsteroidX

Every time I see these stories, I wonder in deep amazement... I wonder.. why does it make me think of those expanding polymer balls used in floral arrangements and easily bought online?

I have no idea why I wonder this though.

For images and some info: HEREhttp://nurturestore.co.uk/water-bead-science

• Like 1

The station reportedly received “tons of calls” after airing their story about the spheres from viewers suggesting the tiny balls are simply water absorbing jelly balls that are widely available, and used for various purposes. These jelly balls (referred to by a variety of names including deco balls, water pearls, and polymer pearls, just to name a few) are made of super-absorbent polymers, and are routinely used by floral shops to keep plants hydrated. They are also used in diapers to prevent leaks, and even sold as children’s toys (like Orbeez).

A similar pile of blue spheres was discovered in January 2012 in England. In that case, researchers initially speculated that the small blue balls could be marine invertebrate eggs. But the spheres were later identified as sodium polyacrylate, which, as the Daily Mail explained, “is used in gardening or agriculture to improve soil, as well as being used in nappies (diapers).” According to LiveScience, sodium polyacrylate can absorb hundreds of times its weight in water.

If the purple spheres in Arizona are simply super-absorbent jelly balls, why are there so many of them? Retailers sell these products in bags containing thousands of beads that, when exposed to water, become squishy jelly balls. And according to weather reports, it rained the day before the spheres were discovered. What exactly super-absorbent jelly balls are doing in the middle of nowhere is unknown.

And, although the purple spheres found in the Arizona desert strongly resemble super-absorbent jelly balls, a positive identity cannot be confirmed without further examination.

jelly_balls_bag-300x224.jpg

http://www.openminds.tv/pile-of-strange-purple-spheres-found-in-the-arizona-desert-907/

• Like 2

TUCSON (KGUN-9) - It was a normal Sunday in Vail for Geradine Vargas. Normal, until she and her husband stumbled upon something kind of weird.

"We were taking photos around the area and we just.... I mean, how could you miss this?" Geradine said. "It was just like glittering in the sun."

http://www.kgun9.com.../189113371.html

Edited by ozman

I saw this on yahoo this morning and my first thought was it was those plastic sphere things as well.

The Blob! Or bloblettes...

yeah, I know what we don't know won't hurt(or help) us right???

• Like 1

When I first saw this news report I was concerned that the "journalist" might try to sensationalize the story and and attribute these objects to some mythical creature or extra terrestrials. I was relieved to see that they chose to apply scientific method and performed the poke it with a stick test.

Yay science!

I bet they are fairy eggs... their couldn't be any other possible explanation.

/sarcasm

• Like 1

I hate it when something unusual turns-out to be usual in an unusual place.

EDIT: the more I think about, I think THEY put it there.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 2

Where are the scientists? Should they not test whatever it is ? What if it carries some form of bacteria/virus and why do some fall out of the sky? If they fall out of the sky they could be from planes that are seeding the ground but for what purpose. To simply write it off as mold or whatever without testing the substance is not very scientific. Too many questions like what is it made of and if it is harmful, and where do they come from etc. Could be man made...

it could be one of those but me personally I'm not sure yet but it could be something else.but that none the less is interesting though in the desert that's cool you don't see that often or etc.i would like to see that myself too though:)

air freshner beads. this is not out of this world. Fake!

For those of you who remember "Creepshow"... "Oh, Jordy Verill, you lunkhead!" Shouldn't go touching or poking around anything you can't identify...

• Like 1