Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Horse meat could still be on sale in Britain

marek czerniej horse meat

• Please log in to reply
165 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,581 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:13 PM

Food Service, one of Poland’s biggest meat processors, is suspected by Irish authorities to be the source of beef products that contained up to a third horse meat, it can be disclosed.

Marek Czerniej, one of the company’s owners, on Friday told this newspaper that it supplies half a dozen companies in Britain with hamburger meat.

He refused to name them, however, saying that the information was a “trade secret”.

http://www.telegraph...in-Britain.html

Posted Image

#2    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,964 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:41 PM

Is this just a money making effort or is horse meat some kind of delicacy in Poland?  I would be very angry to discover that I had been fed horse for beef.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#3    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:54 PM

View PostStill Waters, on 02 February 2013 - 02:13 PM, said:

Food Service, one of Poland’s biggest meat processors, is suspected by Irish authorities to be the source of beef products that contained up to a third horse meat, it can be disclosed.

Marek Czerniej, one of the company’s owners, on Friday told this newspaper that it supplies half a dozen companies in Britain with hamburger meat.

He refused to name them, however, saying that the information was a “trade secret”.

http://www.telegraph...in-Britain.html

I've eaten 100s of cheeseburgers from Tesco

Neighver mind its too late to do anything about it.

View Postand then, on 02 February 2013 - 02:41 PM, said:

Is this just a money making effort or is horse meat some kind of delicacy in Poland?  I would be very angry to discover that I had been fed horse for beef.

Some central European countries put horse meat in their spicy sausages.

#4    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,887 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:49 PM

POPULAR

Eating horse meat per se isn't the real problem (except for personal sensibilities), but the worry is the lack of traceability of the product. When horse meat is legally used for human consumption, the origin of the animals are known and are provably safe. In the recent cases of 'contamination', the origins are not clear and therefore suspect. For instance, certain drugs and medications are given to horses during their lives which can prove harmful to humans, such as Chloramphemicol (prescribed for sport horses with respiratory problems and can cause aplastic anemia in humans).  Banamin is another substance given to horses which has been linked to bowel cancer. (And, trust me, you really don't want to know about Trichinosis!)

Edited by ealdwita, 02 February 2013 - 03:51 PM.

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#5    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,492 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:28 PM

A lot of trots to the toilet?  Or worse?

#6    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:30 PM

View Postealdwita, on 02 February 2013 - 03:49 PM, said:

Eating horse meat per se isn't the real problem (except for personal sensibilities), but the worry is the lack of traceability of the product. When horse meat is legally used for human consumption, the origin of the animals are known and are provably safe. In the recent cases of 'contamination', the origins are not clear and therefore suspect. For instance, certain drugs and medications are given to horses during their lives which can prove harmful to humans, such as Chloramphemicol (prescribed for sport horses with respiratory problems and can cause aplastic anemia in humans).  Banamin is another substance given to horses which has been linked to bowel cancer. (And, trust me, you really don't want to know about Trichinosis!)

Hit me with it, what can I expect from Trichinosis?

If it makes me run fast it'll come in handy lol

#7    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,613 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:41 PM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 02 February 2013 - 04:30 PM, said:

Hit me with it, what can I expect from Trichinosis?

If it makes me run fast it'll come in handy lol

Perforated guts, eaten up muscle mass, painful death.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#8    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:42 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 02 February 2013 - 04:41 PM, said:

Perforated guts, eaten up muscle mass, painful death.

Yikes!

#9    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,371 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:43 PM

Vietnamese (mostly in the North) eat dogmeat, and efforts to discourage it because it is unhealthy are treated much like some Americans treat those who would take away the handguns.

I would only eat very well cooked pork or rat meat because they are omnivores.  As you move up the food chain the chances of a nasty parasite increases.  There is also a similar problem from eating wild animals.

Now to horse meat.  I never heard of such a thing, I guess because once military calvary became obsolete the horse pretty much disappeared.  The animal of burden (assuming the farmer is really behind the times) is a water buffalo, and you do see one of them every now and then.

Buddhism puts a special ethical burden on those who eat animals who have been previously used as beasts of burden.  I doubt that that would stop a typical farmer.

I've never been offered horse meat; it would be way too expensive.

#10    acute

acute

The Hedgeless Hoglet

• 2,254 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:58 PM

I don't mind eating Nag Bol, as long as 'horse meat' is included in the list of ingredients.

#11    BiffSplitkins

BiffSplitkins

Vertically Challenged

• 7,145 posts

• We all have a song inside us, it tells us who we are.

'John Doeber' fellow musician

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:05 PM

What's wrong with eating horsemeat? Matthew Broderick did it for years and he seems healthy as a horse. :P

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Posted Image

#12    TheLastLazyGun

TheLastLazyGun

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts
  • Location:The edge of the West Pennine Moors, Northern England

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:48 PM

View Postand then, on 02 February 2013 - 02:41 PM, said:

Is this just a money making effort or is horse meat some kind of delicacy in Poland?

Horsemeat is a delicacy throughout Continental Europe.  Have you ever been to France?  If you have, you'd have seen it on sale at almost every butchers.  Around 200,000 horses are slaughtered for meat annually in Europe, half in Italy. France, Spain and the Netherlands also have many horse abbatoirs.

During WWII, it was also eaten in Britain when other meats were rationed.  British soldiers ate it, too.  It was quite popular in Britain from the the 19th century until the 1940s.

Horsemeat is also very good for you.  It is packed with protein, iron and Omega 3 fatty acids.

In fact, the British are almost unique in Europe for their silly aversion to eating horsemeat.  We have no problem eating cows and sheep and chickens but, for some silly reason, we seem to be horrified at the prospect of eating horse.

Posted Image

Edited by TheLastLazyGun, 07 February 2013 - 02:54 PM.

#13    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Facebook Fiend

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

• Your blood's worth bottling!

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:38 PM

View PostTheLastLazyGun, on 07 February 2013 - 02:48 PM, said:

Horsemeat is a delicacy throughout Continental Europe.  Have you ever been to France?  If you have, you'd have seen it on sale at almost every butchers.  Around 200,000 horses are slaughtered for meat annually in Europe, half in Italy. France, Spain and the Netherlands also have many horse abbatoirs.

During WWII, it was also eaten in Britain when other meats were rationed.  British soldiers ate it, too.  It was quite popular in Britain from the the 19th century until the 1940s.

Horsemeat is also very good for you.  It is packed with protein, iron and Omega 3 fatty acids.

In fact, the British are almost unique in Europe for their silly aversion to eating horsemeat.  We have no problem eating cows and sheep and chickens but, for some silly reason, we seem to be horrified at the prospect of eating horse.

Posted Image
So your going to risk perforated guts,eaten up muscle mass and sudden death.
With any kind of unregistered meat that's not meant to be consumed in your respective country there's bound to be something dodgy about it.
If the meat was registered in our country as an official food source those chemicals that Ealdwita mentioned will vanish.
However we are talking about France here where frog legs and snails are considered haute cuisine.
Check out the rest of Ealdwita's post because you might get some much needed wisdom.
The reason why the taste of horsemeat is abhorrent to Brits is because we are a nation of animal lovers.
And besides as well as being pleasant to the eye you can ride them anywhere apart from  up a mountain.
You might have to get your iron,protein and Omega 3 Fatty acids from an other source.
Do you fancy a spot of channel hopping if chopped liver isn't your thing?

Edited by Medium Brown, 07 February 2013 - 06:42 PM.

Swindon Town:  Division Two Champions 2011-12.
Proud member of Macdonald's Red Army since 1989.
Up the Robins!

#14    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,613 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:53 PM

in related news:

The Telegraph said:

Findus beef lasagne was up to 100 per cent horse meat

Testing on Findus beef lasagne has revealed the meals contain up to 100 per cent horse meat, the Food Standards Agency (FSA) has said.

Shoppers who bought the lasagne meals, which are produced by French food supplier Comigel on behalf of Findus, have now been warned not to eat them.

Retail giant Tesco and discount chain Aldi withdrew a range of ready meals produced by Comigel over fears they contained contaminated meat.

The FSA said there is no evidence to suggest the horse meat found is a food safety risk.

Read more

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#15    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,490 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:23 PM

was thinking of starting a thread about Findus, but now you have mentioned it here, this is good enough, too many threads on the same subjects anyway.

Good old Poland and Ireland and Supermarkets following the EU rules:

Posted Image

Topics

Posted Image Posted Image
EU rules until 12 Dec. 2014
EU rules after 13 Dec. 2014
Price indication
Quinine & caffeine
Beef
Labelling of GMOs Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Legislation applicable until 12 December 2014
EU legislation on food labelling covers:
  • General rules on food labelling
  • Rules for specific foods e.g. beef or chocolate.
Directive 2000/13/EC on labelling, presentation and advertising of foods is the main EU legislation on the subject.
Key points of Directive 2000/13/EC
  • Consumers get all the essential information on composition, manufacturer, storage methods and preparation, etc.
  • Applies to foods delivered as such to the consumer or to restaurants, hospitals, canteens and other mass caterers.
  • Food labels must be indelible and easy to see, understand and read, with some particulars appearing in the same field of vision.
  • Substances known as allergens must always be indicated on the label. (EU list of allergens or substances causing intolerances - Annex IIIa).
  • Labels must indicate the quantity of certain ingredients as a percentage of the final product (Quantitative Ingredients Declaration - QUID).
  • Producers and manufacturers can give additional labelling information, if it is accurate and does not mislead the consumer.
  • Prohibits claims on any food that it prevents, treats or cures a human disease.

Edited by freetoroam, 07 February 2013 - 08:23 PM.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users