Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Is proof of alien life a risk to society ?

• Please log in to reply
424 replies to this topic

#1    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,343 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:11 PM

The possibilities and consequences of such a discovery have been discussed at the World Economic Forum.

Huffington Post said:

The discovery of alien life or Earth-like planets and the implications to the world was a crucial item on the agenda at the annual World Economic Forum, or WEF, in Davos, Switzerland.

Posted Image Read more...

"In 10 years' time, we may have evidence not only that Earth is not unique, but also that life exists elsewhere in the universe," states the WEF Global Risks report for 2013. "The discovery of even simple life would fuel speculation about the existence of other intelligent beings and challenge many assumptions that underpin human philosophy and religion."

#2    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 12,266 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:23 PM

Well I've always thought that the moment you announce that aliens exist somewhere in the universe a lot of things will happen at once.
Religions (or at least the religious) will decry it as an offence to their beliefs. There will be violence.
Cults will spring up. There will be deaths (Heaven's Gate etc).
Panic buying etc will happen.
People will riot because "the government can't protect us" or "the government is covering it up" or "because we can".

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#3    Sean93

Sean93

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

• WRATH

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:26 PM

It'll sure shake the world up, that's for sure.

Take the film/book 'Contact' for example, (highly recommended) it deals with the implications of the discovery of an advanced civilization on the world in terms of political and religious ideals.

Politically, things like threats and hostility will come into play, the E.T's could see us as walking food or want our resources; while the religious side of the discovery would effect things like 'created in his image' and would challenge others doctrines of other faiths too but possibly the biggest threat in religious terms would be if an advanced E.T civilization/race we contacted brought with them their own religious beliefs (even worse if they're right (or great depending in who is asking)).

Edited by Sean93, 02 February 2013 - 10:28 PM.

"Be peaceful, be courteous, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

“To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”

#4    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Common Sense Aficionado

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:27 PM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 02 February 2013 - 10:23 PM, said:

Well I've always thought that the moment you announce that aliens exist somewhere in the universe a lot of things will happen at once.
Religions (or at least the religious) will decry it as an offence to their beliefs. There will be violence.
People will riot because "the government can't protect us" or "the government is covering it up" or "because we can".

I have said almost the same thing.If its ever announced SHTF

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#5    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 12,266 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:28 PM

I don't know about other religions, but the Catholic Church has already laid the groundwork for addressing those fears amongst the faithful.
Basically, it's a case of "in our image" represents having free will. Voila - everything from the Horta, to man to the Daleks are made in God's image because they have free will.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
Only I will remain.

#6    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 8,214 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:51 PM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 02 February 2013 - 10:23 PM, said:

I panic bought 1357 tins of beans for the apocalypse, I am not falling for that again!
I wonder if the aliens would like baked beans?

The government will be the main ones panicking, they will not be able to control the cults or peoples reactions, would not surprise me if the army were out on our streets before we could say "phone home".

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#7    SurgeTechnologies

SurgeTechnologies

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

• "Why not take what seems to me the only chance of escaping what is otherwise the sure destruction"

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:07 PM

The sooner the better...

RSOE EDIS - Emergency and Disaster Information Service App is available on site!

SHTFPlan Source for all sorts of news and updates!

#8    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,724 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:34 PM

I always thought there was intelligent life out there and they have been here so it would be no surprise to me.  I would see it as they finally fessed up.  There is always going to be some nut that uses any excuse to form a cult.

#9    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 8,214 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:46 PM

As for proof of alien life being a threat to society??? haha!!
can you imagine if the aliens landed in the middle east?
or in the middle of Mali?
How about they land in some of these: There is nothing to say they will not land in the middle of the Himalayas either. But as for a threat to us?? i would rather take my chances with a spaceship heading my way than go to any of the above for a long weekend.

Edited by freetoroam, 02 February 2013 - 11:47 PM.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#10    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 15,184 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:59 AM

I think a first contact event would really shake up those who have no strong religious attachments as well.  If "they" came in and said "we planted you here,  we are the source of your religions" then they would almost universally be accepted.  In fact the Bible mentions that at the end of days God Himself would send a strong delusion to test/try those on the earth who WOULD NOT believe.  It's long been discussed what that delusion might be - I think it could be a first contact.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#11    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 8,214 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:05 PM

View Postand then, on 03 February 2013 - 12:59 AM, said:

I think a first contact event would really shake up those who have no strong religious attachments as well.  If "they" came in and said "we planted you here,  we are the source of your religions" then they would almost universally be accepted.  In fact the Bible mentions that at the end of days God Himself would send a strong delusion to test/try those on the earth who WOULD NOT believe.  It's long been discussed what that delusion might be - I think it could be a first contact.
These religious lot cover everything! God sending a test?? It just astounds me that the evolution of man from ape to human never gets mentioned in the religious books, no mention of dinosaurs either, no real surprise there because they did not know in those days what we know now.
And what will these aliens look like I wonder, 2 legs, head and arms with big eyes?
We have already found out that over time man would not need his legs in a spaceship, so evolution would take its course over time.
I would love it if the aliens turned out to be some big bird which flies around its ship. Comes to Earth and want nothing to do with man, but wants to communicate with the other birds here, that would really peee the top of the food chain on this planet off!

#12    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 12,266 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:09 PM

I'll see you at Megeddo if that ever happened AT. Maybe we could start up a pirate Unexplained Mysteries forum after this one becomes a tool of the Anti-Christ :D

Only I will remain.

#13    WelshRed

WelshRed

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:26 PM

"the discovery that we are not alone in the universe, a revelation that could have a profound effect on society"

Good, society needs shaking up BIG TIME, and where needs shaking most...?

RELIGION.

Edited by WelshRed, 03 February 2013 - 12:26 PM.

#14    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 15,184 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:54 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 03 February 2013 - 12:05 PM, said:

These religious lot cover everything! God sending a test?? It just astounds me that the evolution of man from ape to human never gets mentioned in the religious books, no mention of dinosaurs either, no real surprise there because they did not know in those days what we know now.
And what will these aliens look like I wonder, 2 legs, head and arms with big eyes?
We have already found out that over time man would not need his legs in a spaceship, so evolution would take its course over time.
I would love it if the aliens turned out to be some big bird which flies around its ship. Comes to Earth and want nothing to do with man, but wants to communicate with the other birds here, that would really peee the top of the food chain on this planet off!
Yeah, the bit about the "test" is in the book of Revelation.  But  a really interesting and short passage is Isaiah 17.  It was written about 2600 years ago and describes how Damascus Syria will be destroyed overnight:  In the evening, sudden terror!
Before the morning, they are gone!  

Almost sounds like a newspaper headline for next month :)

Edited by and then, 03 February 2013 - 12:54 PM.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#15    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,583 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:08 PM

This sounds awfully delusional in itself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users