Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Is proof of alien life a risk to society ?

• Please log in to reply
424 replies to this topic

#46    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,110 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:43 AM

View Postdummy2b, on 04 February 2013 - 03:53 AM, said:

THE WAY THIS WORLD IS SCREWED UP THERE IS NOT ANY ALIEN LIFE THAT WOULD WANT IT.

I think one of the things "they" will teach many of us is the existence of a "Caps Lock" key.

#47    shaddow134

shaddow134

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

• "I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:59 AM

View Postdummy2b, on 04 February 2013 - 03:53 AM, said:

THE WAY THIS WORLD IS SCREWED UP THERE IS NOT ANY ALIEN LIFE THAT WOULD WANT IT.

Only if a really big Neon sign reading, all you can eat for absolutely free is placed above the Earth.

Edited by shaddow134, 04 February 2013 - 05:00 AM.

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schulz

#48    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 31,833 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:19 AM

View Postshaddow134, on 04 February 2013 - 04:59 AM, said:

[size=4]

Only if a really big Neon sign reading, all you can eat for absolutely free is placed above the Earth.

Not meaning us.............. I hope?

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#49    MaddoxHQ

MaddoxHQ

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:35 AM

What if the  'aliens' we "see" aren't from another system.  But, maybe they've been here all along.  Defending the earth from egotism and the failure of such.  Time is a big place, I've always thought it weird that energy is directly proportional to mass.

#50    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 31,833 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:40 AM

View PostMaddoxHQ, on 04 February 2013 - 05:35 AM, said:

What if the  'aliens' we "see" aren't from another system.  But, maybe they've been here all along.  

That would make them native, and not alien, would it not?

Defending the earth from egotism and the failure of such.  

Sorry, not following you here.

Time is a big place, I've always thought it weird that energy is directly proportional to mass.

I do not find it much of a conundrum considering the function of the proposed Higgs Bosun.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#51    topsecretresearch

topsecretresearch

Astral Projection

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:52 AM

View PostSaru, on 02 February 2013 - 10:11 PM, said:

The possibilities and consequences of such a discovery have been discussed at the World Economic Forum.

"In 10 years' time, we may have evidence not only that Earth is not unique, but also that life exists elsewhere in the universe," states the WEF Global Risks report for 2013. "The discovery of even simple life would fuel speculation about the existence of other intelligent beings and challenge many assumptions that underpin human philosophy and religion."

Get used to the idea that the Earth is not unique and neither are people. The Universe is teaming with humanoid alien lifeforms with more advanced technology and space travel capabilities.

Edited by topsecretresearch, 04 February 2013 - 06:54 AM.

#52    S2F

S2F

Bloodstained Hurricane

• 6,738 posts

• If you don't believe the sun will rise
    Stand alone and greet the coming night
    In the last remaining light -Audioslave

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:27 AM

View Posttopsecretresearch, on 04 February 2013 - 06:52 AM, said:

Get used to the idea that the Earth is not unique and neither are people. The Universe is teaming with humanoid alien lifeforms with more advanced technology and space travel capabilities.

It's the same with fairies and dragons if you only go by what you read.

As far as a societal 'meltdown' if we are visited by aliens, I doubt it. There will of course be an initial shock however It certainly would not be on the scale of total anarchy. That of course depends on the intentions of said aliens. If the Vogons show up then sure, everybody will be scrambling to find their own Ford Prefect while madly clutching a towel and thumbs held high...

"You want to discuss plausibility then you have to accept reality." -Mattshark

"Don't argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience." -Obviousman

You know... the plural of ``anecdote'' is not ``data''. Similarly, the plural of ``random fact'' is not ``mystical symbolism''. -sepulchrave

#53    Zeta Reticulum

Zeta Reticulum

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:46 AM

And this is exactly the thinking of the powers that be... and hence why we will never be told of any discoveries.

#54    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 31,833 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:47 AM

View Posttopsecretresearch, on 04 February 2013 - 06:52 AM, said:

Teeming is it?

I bet Enrico Fermi might have something to say about that.

Ohh, that's right, he did.

Frank Drake seems to have mentioned somthing there too.....

Posted Image

Do you feel these people have come up with reasoning, or do they have an anti alien agenda?

View PostZeta Reticulum, on 04 February 2013 - 07:46 AM, said:

And this is exactly the thinking of the powers that be... and hence why we will never be told of any discoveries.

We are told about discoveries all the time, Try the papers.

#55    S2F

S2F

Bloodstained Hurricane

• 6,738 posts

• If you don't believe the sun will rise
    Stand alone and greet the coming night
    In the last remaining light -Audioslave

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:57 AM

I'm not sure I follow. The first agency people will turn to if aliens decide to show up is the government. They'll want to know that the situation is being addressed by those in charge. That puts the government in quite a formidable position, as far as wielding power over it's citizens. If the government is as 'ebil' as some think then I'd think that disclosure would have already happened, if for no other reason than to hold that fact over it's citizen's heads as 'insurance'. Reveal the bogey man behind the curtain and then claim that the citizens have to do what they are told, for 'protection' of course. We've seen a similar scenario in the US since the War on Terror began. </end conspiracy simulation:>

Not that I think the government is evil, just mostly inept.

Edited by Slave2Fate, 04 February 2013 - 07:58 AM.

"You want to discuss plausibility then you have to accept reality." -Mattshark

"Don't argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience." -Obviousman

You know... the plural of ``anecdote'' is not ``data''. Similarly, the plural of ``random fact'' is not ``mystical symbolism''. -sepulchrave

#56    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,405 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:02 AM

Knowing what I have experienced with governments, that is not a secret that would be successfully kept.

I think the first contact is probably unlikely.  While the universe is no doubt teeming with microscopic life, there seem to be good reasons to think that anything much beyond that is extremely rare -- probably so rare that we will never encounter it.

Maybe that is for the best; we would miss a lot if they are well-intentioned, but we could lose a lot if they are otherwise (consider the fates of the Native Americans and Tasmanians and so on).

#57    TheOtherSide1945

TheOtherSide1945

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 108 posts

• "Some men just want to see the world burn" Alfred

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:31 AM

Well if the aliens we found are like the humans in power on earth, we are in for a fight and they will fight us for our planet. ie the Empire from Star Wars. But they might be like the aliens from Heavy Metal and just want to do do coke and fly a freighter. maybe they will be drug dealers like in Dark Angel. Maybe they will come here and want to trade with us and we just blow them out of the sky cause we have no idea what they are saying. pretty much if they are smart enough to make intersteller space ships they know that just coming out and saying they are here they will get shot. if they are here to kill us they better be good at it cause humans have been fighting wars for a long long time. if Ewoks can bring the Empire down there is no reason that Will Smith can't upload a virus into their comps and they crash.

Edited by TheOtherSide1945, 04 February 2013 - 08:35 AM.

#58    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 31,833 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:08 AM

View PostTheOtherSide1945, on 04 February 2013 - 08:31 AM, said:

Well if the aliens we found are like the humans in power on earth, we are in for a fight and they will fight us for our planet. ie the Empire from Star Wars. But they might be like the aliens from Heavy Metal and just want to do do coke and fly a freighter. maybe they will be drug dealers like in Dark Angel. Maybe they will come here and want to trade with us and we just blow them out of the sky cause we have no idea what they are saying. pretty much if they are smart enough to make intersteller space ships they know that just coming out and saying they are here they will get shot. if they are here to kill us they better be good at it cause humans have been fighting wars for a long long time. if Ewoks can bring the Empire down there is no reason that Will Smith can't upload a virus into their comps and they crash.

Lets hope we get Greenpeace Aliens perhaps?

Maybe Little Green Man was not such a bad idea after all?

I am not sure it would be the case, it is certainly possible, but as we grow as a species, we start to give a damn. We saved the Condor, we have tried to clone back lost animals, and we have active societies that try to help struggling species. We dropped apartheid, have come to abhor slavery (on most places!) and have equal rights in a democratic society. I like to hope that as we mature that we relise that value of life, and with each decade we hold it dearer, and respect it more.
Of course, there is one in every crowd, but I think it does not hurt to hope. Benevolence may be a product of intelligence. Lets hope so.

#59    Jacques Terreur

Jacques Terreur

Psychic Spy

• 1,445 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:22 AM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 02 February 2013 - 10:23 PM, said:

Well I've always thought that the moment you announce that aliens exist somewhere in the universe a lot of things will happen at once.
Religions (or at least the religious) will decry it as an offence to their beliefs. There will be violence.
Cults will spring up. There will be deaths (Heaven's Gate etc).
Panic buying etc will happen.
People will riot because "the government can't protect us" or "the government is covering it up" or "because we can".
I'm not so sure about that. Since you speak hypothetical here, i could do the same and state the contrary: Maybe the existence of an "outside species" , threat or not, makes people on earth sit closer together. A lot of inter-human conflicts might just play no role anymore. Of course there is the possibility of Cults popping up, but they do now as well. See how many people joined that 2012-apocalypse-bandwagon. And if a mass of people reconsiders their relationship to the organised mass-religion of their choice, it's (again) only for the better. Your scenario is TOTALLY possible, but i'm more optimistic about the whole thing...

#60    Jacques Terreur

Jacques Terreur

Psychic Spy

• 1,445 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:24 AM

View Postpsyche101, on 04 February 2013 - 05:40 AM, said:

That would make them native, and not alien, would it not?

:tsu:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users