Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Reid supports expanding background checks

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#1    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,975 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:40 PM

Washington Post said:

Senate Majority Leader Harry M. Reid (D-Nev.) said he’s unsure whether he will support a ban on assault weapons and restrictions on high-capacity ammunition magazines, but voiced support for increased background checks on firearm purchases in an interview that aired Sunday.

“I didn’t vote for the assault weapons last time because it was — didn’t make sense. But I’ll take a look at it,” Reid said in an interview on ABC News’ “This Week With George Stephanopoulos.”

The Nevada Democrat, who is recipient of a “B” rating from the National Rifle Association, sounded a supportive note when it came to a proposal for universal background checks for gun purchases. ”We need to increase that. I’m still a supporter of the Second Amendment, but you can do things like that,” he said.

Read more

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#2    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 13,038 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:32 PM

See I honestly think that's something both sides of the fence can agree on.
No restrictions on what guns you can buy and own, but further and stricter checks.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#3    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 21,284 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:48 PM

Surprising that Sen. Reid is not following the Obama line in the sand. Guess he is not such a Stooge after all. Glad to see him taking the topic seriously.

I also do support a ban on "real" assault weapons, which are fully automatic, and not rifles that simply cosmetically look like assault rifles.

As to a Extended magazine... I agree that few people would need a 40+ round magazine, but a 20 round magazine does not seem so much to me. AFAIK 20 and 30 round magazines are pretty standard and exist in Large numbers.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#4    onereaderone

onereaderone

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

• interfacing transdimentional inverse mobius feed back loop

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:11 PM

let  us play  a game .  your  home  just  got blown away  by  a storm ,  you  move  into  a  bad area  of  town  and  are  now  renting , or  living  with  a friend ...your  current  drivers licance  does  not  match  your  current address,  you have nearly  no  paper that  says  you are  who  you say  you are .

try  to  buy a gun .

the  very  people  the second amendment  was  design'd  for  ,  are  the very people  this law  is  designed to  excluded  from  gun ownership...   those  who  have  the  greatest need  of  one .

#5    onereaderone

onereaderone

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:28 PM

may  i add ...  goverment  never  gets  it right ,  they  never  have  ,  they  never  will ...  and  the  only  people  who  use  goverment to  get  things  done  ,  have  bad  intentions tword  the  rest  of  us .

before  you  weigh  in  on this  subject ,  it  may  be  a good  idea to  take  a  walk  in  a bad  part of  town .
....   your  local  police station ....

notice  how  you are  treated  by  those  who  are  paid  for  and  hired  by  you  to  police .
understand  that  these  poeple  in  uniform  and  with  guns  are  your employee's

our  goverment  is  not  in any  tiny  or  meaningful  way  any diffrent  from  these  police.
they  are  lifer's  and  they  live  the  job .  these  are  your  employee's .

do  you  want  to ever  be  in  their  cage , under their  control  ,  with  out  any  means  of escape .
how  do  you  feel  about  being  suspected  of  a crime  that  you had  nothing  at all  to  do  with...
but  had  access  to  the  place  ,  attitude tword  the  victum  ,  and  it  was  your  tool  that  did  the  thing ...

what  i  suggest as  a game ,   you  may  have  wanted  the  act ,  but  did  not  do  it .
do  you want  to  be the target  of  these govermental agencys   directors  and  enforcement  lawers ....  limited  by  their  authority to  pass   reasonable  regulation  for  the  protection  of  the  greater  good.

#6    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 21,284 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:30 PM

View Postonereaderone, on 03 February 2013 - 10:11 PM, said:

let  us play  a game .  your  home  just  got blown away  by  a storm ,  you  move  into  a  bad area  of  town  and  are  now  renting , or  living  with  a friend ...your  current  drivers licance  does  not  match  your  current address,  you have nearly  no  paper that  says  you are  who  you say  you are .

try  to  buy a gun .

the  very  people  the second amendment  was  design'd  for  ,  are  the very people  this law  is  designed to  excluded  from  gun ownership...   those  who  have  the  greatest need  of  one .
If you are renting then you have to have an ID and have had a credit check. No one rents to anyone with no credit and no ID.

Go to the DMV and get your licence renewed. Go to your friend or the electric company and get them to verify where you live. Show the gun dealer your old address and the insurance forms showing it was destroyed.

All that will take less then a day to complete, even by bus. There is no exuse other then complete and utter lazyness to prevent people from having the needed materials for a background check.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#7    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 21,284 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:32 PM

View Postonereaderone, on 03 February 2013 - 10:28 PM, said:

may  i add ...  goverment  never  gets  it right ,  they  never  have  ,  they  never  will ...  and  the  only  people  who  use  goverment to  get  things  done  ,  have  bad  intentions tword  the  rest  of  us .

before  you  weigh  in  on this  subject ,  it  may  be  a good  idea to  take  a  walk  in  a bad  part of  town .
....   your  local  police station ....

notice  how  you are  treated  by  those  who  are  paid  for  and  hired  by  you  to  police .
understand  that  these  poeple  in  uniform  and  with  guns  are  your employee's

our  goverment  is  not  in any  tiny  or  meaningful  way  any diffrent  from  these  police.
they  are  lifer's  and  they  live  the  job .  these  are  your  employee's .

do  you  want  to ever  be  in  their  cage , under their  control  ,  with  out  any  means  of escape .
how  do  you  feel  about  being  suspected  of  a crime  that  you had  nothing  at all  to  do  with...
but  had  access  to  the  place  ,  attitude tword  the  victum  ,  and  it  was  your  tool  that  did  the  thing ...

what  i  suggest as  a game ,   you  may  have  wanted  the  act ,  but  did  not  do  it .
do  you want  to  be the target  of  these govermental agencys   directors  and  enforcement  lawers ....  limited  by  their  authority to  pass   reasonable  regulation  for  the  protection  of  the  greater  good.
So a gun will keep you safe from the Police and the local Government????? :hmm:

I've been hassled by the cop plenty and lived in abject total poverty for over half my life. Yet, I recognized that the cops were doing their job. And when I was living in Cheap Town, I was glad that when people got stabbed, or bitten by loose pitbulls, or shot, or run over by a unlicenced/uninsured non-English speaking person, that those cops were there to sort it out. And you know what, not a single person that I saw get arrested in Cheap Town part of Beaverton ever got shot by the cops, or got roughed up.

It is just propoganda that people spout off about the cops. They are just doing their job as best the Policitians will let them.

Edited by DieChecker, 03 February 2013 - 10:35 PM.

#8    onereaderone

onereaderone

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:46 PM

this  is  the  perfect answer..  

i  did not  say anything about  the police harming  you...  only  that  they  work  for  you .
the  jump  you made  was logical  and implied  ,  but  not  stated ...  your  answer  assumes  facts  not given  and  words  never  said ..

what  i  do  know  is  that  DMV  is  not  likly  going  to  issue  a  temp ID   with  out  certified  documentation...
and   if  your  homeless..  i  suspect  your  first priority  will  be  getting  documents  from govermental  agancys   and  dealing  with  their  rules and  paper  trails ...

and  of  course ,  that  is  the  only  way  you can  see  to  keep  control ...  you want  the goverment  limiting  your  freedom ...  when  you have  no credit  card  to get  a apartment ,  no  way  to get  the  back ground  check when  the phones  are  down  ...
and  your  afraid  for  your  life  and  the lives  of  your  wife  and  children...

thats  a good time  to  play  inside  the rules  you  have  been  told  by  a director  of  customer services...   a  guy  not  elected,  just  doing  his  job ...

#9    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:47 PM

I've been hassled by the cop plenty

not a single person that I saw get arrested in Cheap Town part of Beaverton ever got shot by the cops, or got roughed up.

A little bit of a contradiction from a not so bad part of town (Beaverton). Thats like saying Kip KInkle made Springfield a poor trailer trash town infested with meth and death.
It is a fact cops in Oregon do round ups. Across the state. Its all about how you look to them not what your doing.

Much love from a bit south. :su

#10    onereaderone

onereaderone

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:12 PM

universal  back  ground  checks  are  no  more  an answer   than  outlawing  all  guns  in  both  public  and private  hands .

the  only  reason  to  document who  has  a gun  and  universal  registration  is  for  confiscation  and  regulation  of  an  unarmed  population  ...  followed  by  govermental  removal  of  surplus  populations   by any  means .

bad  actors  will  act badly  regardless  of  what  you do .  putting  a .357 mag  in the  purse  of  a  18year old  teachers  aid will  go  along  way in protecting   6 year olds  on  a play ground .

frankly speaking ,  had  i been  in any  school  under attack  by  a bad actor ...   i  would  die trying  to get  to him  and drop him  .
i would  not need  a 40  round magizine  to  stop a crazy  who  wants  to  live  on  fox  news  for  a  cycle ,  spoken  by  a  head reading  a  heads  up  monitor ...  but  what  about  the  54 year old  cook who  would  die for  her  little ones...  but  will  have  no  effect  with  only  a  knife .

40  round  magizines  are  fun ,  they  cost  a ton  of  money ,  they  will  bankrupt you  in  one  afternoon ...  and  are  far  from  deadly  to  any  one  untill  you  see what  they  do  to   your  ammo  budget .

what  universal  back  ground  checks  really do  is  give  the  goverment  a list  of  gun  owners .

when  they  tell  me...  "tied  to  this  is  a  universal  ban  on  the  goverment  keeping  any  list  of  fire arms  dealers ,  owners  and  ammo  transactions ...   and  that  this  ends  all  further  gun  rights  bans  and  limitations  on  gun rights...

i  am  not  signing  on to it

theyy  are  not  done...  this  is  just  one  more  attack  on  reasonable people.

you  want  me  to  be  reasonable...   remove  short  barrel  shot  guns  from  illegal  weapons ban ...   remove  barrel  lenght  limitations ,  remove  bullet  size  limitations  ...   lets  have   sound  reducers  made  legal  (  not  silancers ,  sound  reducers  will  save  shooters  hearing )

lets  see  safe  places  to  go  shooting  mandated   befor  you  out  law  class's  of  guns  that  have  no discription  beyond  make  and model  ...  define  what  the  aspect  of  the  gun  is  dangerious to  the public  good...   and  lets  understand  why  these  guns  have  this aspect  or  design  feature ...

who  is  it  you  are  really  disarming?

#11    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:42 PM

@onereaderone

but they look scary. you know like the kind the military uses. but they arent and we know that. but the publics gonna fall for it. so well tell them that anyway. They dont care about you or I or the next suzie down the street. They only want to disarm us. They want to put that chip in our arms that will track us. This is a soft strike towards that chip for the most likely to be dangerous people of there agenda. They call it madatory registration of all firearms and ammunition buys.. Meanwhile they will fill the jails and prisons with objectors to these insane unconstitutional laws while the rapist walks out the back door because he is not so dangerous. He only attacks suzie down the street while the man that would have protected her has 5 felonies and sits in a prison in New York because he was carrying some clips in his backseat. The same man that just got home from fighting every day for the past several years for the freedoms of this country. That was forced to carry a gun that is scary against other people that also is carrying scary guns and they shoot at each other. All because the same people that now have him in a prison cell told him too. Meanwhile suzie was raped and tortured and killed by the rapist that got out the backdoor of the prison because he is not so dangerous. This is the reality we live under today.

#12    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 21,284 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:26 AM

View PostAsteroidX, on 03 February 2013 - 10:47 PM, said:

A little bit of a contradiction from a not so bad part of town (Beaverton). Thats like saying Kip KInkle made Springfield a poor trailer trash town infested with meth and death.
It is a fact cops in Oregon do round ups. Across the state. Its all about how you look to them not what your doing.

Much love from a bit south. :su
Hassled as in pulled over for BS reasons and given the run around by Police who were searching for someone in the neighborhood. As well as taking their time to respond to the Wife Beater upstairs and not doing anything about it.  You know, not being "Thrown to the Ground", but wasting my time.

And not all in Beaverton either... Lots of BS cop pull overs and tickets in Portland too.

#13    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 21,284 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:29 AM

View Postonereaderone, on 03 February 2013 - 10:46 PM, said:

this  is  the  perfect answer..  

i  did not  say anything about  the police harming  you...  only  that  they  work  for  you .
the  jump  you made  was logical  and implied  ,  but  not  stated ...  your  answer  assumes  facts  not given  and  words  never  said ..
So it IS what you implied, but you're going to try to go Legal and dance around?? A gun thread and you post anti-police retoric... that is clear to me... (Guns = Protection from Police)

what  i  do  know  is  that  DMV  is  not  likly  going  to  issue  a  temp ID   with  out  certified  documentation...
and   if  your  homeless..  i  suspect  your  first priority  will  be  getting  documents  from govermental  agancys   and  dealing  with  their  rules and  paper  trails ...

and  of  course ,  that  is  the  only  way  you can  see  to  keep  control ...  you want  the goverment  limiting  your  freedom ...  when  you have  no credit  card  to get  a apartment ,  no  way  to get  the  back ground  check when  the phones  are  down  ...
and  your  afraid  for  your  life  and  the lives  of  your  wife  and  children...
So would you rather that the Homeless, as in those who live under bridges and beg for coins, be able to get guns with no ID and no paperwork at all?? Or, illegal immigrants?  Because that is what it sounds like you are promoting.

Edited by DieChecker, 04 February 2013 - 01:30 AM.

#14    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:32 AM

Back in the day you didnt have to get permission to get a gun. You had to individually lose that privilege by a judge. Weve come so far as a country.

#15    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 21,284 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:41 AM

View Postonereaderone, on 03 February 2013 - 11:12 PM, said:

universal  back  ground  checks  are  no  more  an answer   than  outlawing  all  guns  in  both  public  and private  hands .

the  only  reason  to  document who  has  a gun  and  universal  registration  is  for  confiscation  and  regulation  of  an  unarmed  population  ...  followed  by  govermental  removal  of  surplus  populations   by any  means .

Just as the only reason for getting a Drivers License is so the State can Track you? And can impound your car at will? And just as a business license is so that a business can be closed down at will and can be fined and taxed at will?

None of those has any other purpose, such as assuring Responsibility??? Come on now... You're walking into Conspiricy Land now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users