Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Are believers in the paranormal open to:

paranormal ghost believe logic open

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

Poll: Can all paranormal experiences be explained? (26 member(s) have cast votes)

Are there any paranormal phenomena that can't be explained by some normal and rational physical or psychological phenomena?

1. Yes (Please provide example). (18 votes [69.23%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 69.23%

2. No (8 votes [30.77%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.77%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16    Godofcats

Godofcats

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:10 PM

I voted no. But the thing is that I do believe in ghost. I feel that spirits can be explained by physics, pyschology,biology and other sciences. It may take many years of study and research still but I believe it can be done.

#17    sards

sards

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 170 posts

• Open Mind

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:27 PM

I struggle to understand why there aren't more spirits / ghosts / demons / angels

#18    CakeOrDeath

CakeOrDeath

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 351 posts

• The Proof is in the "peeas nuhhh burder"

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:17 PM

Someone said that only electrically charged items or metals emit magnetic fields...that's totally incorrect.  Geological formations, that often contain high metal content such as iron, can and do emiit often very powerful magnetic fields.  There have been cases where people living near such formations or near powerlines, experiencing "hauntings."

Edited by CakeOrDeath, 13 March 2013 - 07:17 PM.

What time is it? "peeas nuh burder" and Jelly time!

#19    DancingCorpse

DancingCorpse

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts

• Finite to fail, infinite to venture!

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:40 AM

The phenomenon of ghosts will eventually be explained by science in my opinion, future generations will probably file them away as we do regarding thunderstorms and earthquakes and the presence of the moon. Right now, of course visual tricks for apparitions, dust for orbs etc can be cause of MANY experiences but not the whole spectrum in my opinion, I believe ghosts are a very real mechanism either active as part of the spirit or 'automatic' and triggered by certain conditions and energies being released possibly interacting with our brains.

Overhead the albatross hangs motionless upon the air and deep beneath the rolling waves, in labyrinths of coral caves, The echo of a distant tide comes willowing across the sand and everything is green and submarine...

You're neither. You're an errand boy, sent by grocery clerks, to collect a bill.

#20    ColoradoParanormal

ColoradoParanormal

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

• 'Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought.'

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:11 PM

Judging by experience I'm saying no. Major reason me, and a lot of the other regulars no longer post on here, is because it doesn't matter the amount of factual evidence posted, the believers WILL NOT listen nor be swayed.

#21    lone wolf2

lone wolf2

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 138 posts

• Kik messenger id is lonewolf2. Hit me up some time.

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:20 PM

The believers will believe and the non believers won't.    Science wont get involved so the debate is pointless.

#22    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:51 PM

Lots of scientists have been involved; their results tend to be negative or at best ambiguous.  The believers dismiss them and go on believeing, so there is not much point.

#23    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:55 PM

View PostColoradoParanormal, on 16 March 2013 - 08:11 PM, said:

Judging by experience I'm saying no. Major reason me, and a lot of the other regulars no longer post on here, is because it doesn't matter the amount of factual evidence posted, the believers WILL NOT listen nor be swayed.
People come and go on all the boards, for much the same reason.  If you think you can change someone's mind with a few posts on a message board you need some psychology lessons.  All you can do is plant some doubt.I don't always follow my rule as I should, but I try to avoid threads that are sustained by one or a few believers ignoring all sense.  There are odd things out there and sometimes I learn things.

#24    Esoteric Toad

Esoteric Toad

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

• Where does one get certified as an "Ancient Astronaut Theorist" or "Cryptozoologist"?

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:28 PM

The problem with ghosts and paranormal in general is that usually it strikes the core of being alive. By that I mean I imagine most would like to have the thought of an afterlife rather than death being the end of everything. Ghosts and afterlife beliefs give comfort that there is more to life than what we know of. Personally I have read so many 'events' that are completely explainable by a critical thinking, rational person that I cannot think of a single example that could not be explained for the most part as normal but misunderstood.

The examples I see of repeated events baffles me because it would seem the supreme chance to provide ongoing evidence about paranormal things, yet I have never seen an ongoing study. I would venture that is because the longer you study something 'paranormal' it all ends up just normal.

JMO

#25    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 11,828 posts

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:39 PM

View Postlone wolf2, on 07 February 2013 - 06:14 PM, said:

I had a damaged  interior door giving off emf where it was damaged.  I checked around the door for another source and  removed the door and checked it again. Just to make sure it was the door. I also dismantled the door and checked inside found nothing unusual. Just wood ,  card board and glue.   Fhe emf was only coming from the damaged area.
  ;

Ok, I am tired of people learning about EMF's from paranormal teams, and TAPS.....

The " EMF's can make you sick, hallucinate, etc. ".........

Please take the time to read these links.....This is factual information on EMF's, what they are, why they are here, etc,etc,etc.........People used to think they caused cancer.

Anyway, talk to electricians about EMF's, not ghost hunters.......We are all exposed to it in various amounts 24/7.

Here is the information, please read it so that next time you read claims, and reports, you will have knowledge about them, and will not be fooled.The National Institue of Environmental Health Sciences is your source, and is also the place who studies things that can effect our health.....I believe their studies, and research, and explanations should be sufficient, don't you?

Posted Image

General Information

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#26    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 11,828 posts

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:41 PM

View Postlone wolf2, on 17 March 2013 - 01:20 PM, said:

The believers will believe and the non believers won't. Science wont get involved so the debate is pointless.

There are many people, here, and that do not use forums ( including myself ) that used to be " believers ".......

The reason why, educating ourselves, and looking at Science, and learning what can and can not happen in the real world. A lot of the information came from here for many of us, from other " skeptics ".

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

#27    Purplos

Purplos

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,550 posts

• Everything important is infinite.

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:30 PM

because it doesn't matter the amount of factual evidence posted, the believers WILL NOT listen nor be swayed.

But as is repeated often on these forums, you can't prove something doesn't exist.

Just because the apparition someone saw could be explained away by temporary hallucination or something, it doesn't mean that's what it was, because, unless you monitor their brain activity or whatever during the sighting, there's no way to scientifically prove it. I saw an apparition once, so it helps me believe in apparitions. There is no factual evidence you can give that has anything to do with my particular experience, unless you were hiding in my bathroom at the time. :)  (I certainly hope not!)

I think many more people who believe in the possibility of the paranormal are harmless folk who just find it interesting.  I believe in paranormal things, but I'm also a great fan of science and figuring out what is, or could be, the scientific reason for some occurrences.

Blind belief and ignorance of science is the problem, I think, not belief in general.

Embrace the impossible.

#28    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 11,828 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:41 PM

View PostPurplos, on 17 March 2013 - 05:30 PM, said:

Blind belief and ignorance of science is the problem, I think, not belief in general.

Bold is dead on.

Belief is a issue though. Believing in something is like a opinion, it is not fact at all.

When someone states their belief as fact, that is a issue.

If someone says " well, I believe that is what it is ", that is how it should be stated.

A belief can be changed by facts that said person did not know about at the time.

That is the difference between someone who is open minded, willing to learn, willing to admit they may be wrong, and one who is not.

Edited by Sakari, 17 March 2013 - 06:44 PM.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

#29    lone wolf2

lone wolf2

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 138 posts

• Kik messenger id is lonewolf2. Hit me up some time.

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:26 PM

Thanks sakri for proving my point   with your repost of what i said about the door.    
You will not believe.  You found something as close as you could for an explanation and went with it even though it doesn't make sense.

#30    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 11,828 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:48 PM

View Postlone wolf2, on 17 March 2013 - 07:26 PM, said:

Thanks sakri for proving my point   with your repost of what i said about the door.
You will not believe.  You found something as close as you could for an explanation and went with it even though it doesn't make sense.

I will not believe?......You sound like my Mother about Christianity.

Not sure what you are saying about my " repost "?

I posted information on EMF's, as it seems 99% of people on paranormal sites do not even know what really causes them, and how frequent and abundent they are. I do not know everything about them, not a expert, but I did spend the time to educate myself on them, and I try to help others.

Have you missed my numerous posts that I used to be a " believer "?

I also have one experience that to this day I can not explain. It is posted. But, I do not just label that experience to what fits my fantasies, I am able to say " I do not know what caused that ". My wife, she is convinced, along with the other two that were there, that it was a " ghost ".

So, no, I will never " believe " in what people's opinions are. I may or may not agree with them, but I will never " believe " that they are fact.

There is a big difference in believing and knowing. I prefer to know.

Also, Science does get " involved " with the " debate "......EMF's are just one example of many. The answers are there, and science shows many of them. Problem is, people would rather believe TAPS and Ghost adventures. ( Television )......

The " fantastic " and " dramatic " explanations are a lot more entertaining then the real ones. So, many people refuse to even look. This is called blind faith, and it is also called ignorance.

Edited by Sakari, 17 March 2013 - 07:53 PM.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

Also tagged with paranormal, ghost, believe, logic, open

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users