Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 3 votes

Capital Punishment - For or against?

• Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

#76    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:53 PM

View Postpraetorian-legio XIII, on 07 February 2013 - 03:38 PM, said:

To BM this is the post I was referring to

I took both his posts into account..

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#77    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,939 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:08 PM

I would gladly "pull the handle", on crimes deserving the death penalty,without pay.Hang 'em high.They dont deserve any better.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#78    glorybebe

glorybebe

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,749 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:37 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 06 February 2013 - 08:38 PM, said:

I do support the death penalty for certain crimes...But if I knew someone who tortured. raped and killed small kids would want it more, I would make them live in misery for the rest of their prison days
But how much more good could you do for the victims if you used the money that would keep the perp alive to care/councel the victim?

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!

#79    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Facebook Fiend

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

• Your blood's worth bottling!

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:20 PM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 05 February 2013 - 11:25 PM, said:

UK - Abolished for all crimes except treason and witchcraft.

I'm all for execution for any criminal who would have got 5+ years in prison.
Your having a giraffe.
You get the death penalty for witchcraft.
How can they justify putting Wiccans in front of a firing squad.
There's nothing at all satanic about what they do but tbh I thnk they are turning a blind eye.
That law if it exists is even more archaic than the treason one.
However on the flip side there is proper devil worshipping going on and black arts being practised.
There's also the imported practice from Africa called Muta.

Btw did you get that five year thing from Bronson's failed rehabilation in prison?

Edited by Medium Brown, 07 February 2013 - 06:21 PM.

Swindon Town:  Division Two Champions 2011-12.
Proud member of Macdonald's Red Army since 1989.
Up the Robins!

#80    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Seeker79

• 12,618 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:48 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 06 February 2013 - 08:38 PM, said:

I do support the death penalty for certain crimes...But if I knew someone who tortured. raped and killed small kids would want it more, I would make them live in misery for the rest of their prison days
I think I'm just more vindictive than you. If its hanous enough to warrant the DP, then death is just to easy. I guess i just can't see death as a svere punishment. If someone murdered my family, I still would not want them
Killed. Though you might have to stop me from doing it for a while. They are going to die anyway, I want them to be isolated with themselves for the rest of their lives. Honestly, if Somone killed my family I would beg the courts not to kill him. I guess I just view death differently.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#81    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:44 PM

View Postglorybebe, on 07 February 2013 - 04:37 PM, said:

But how much more good could you do for the victims if you used the money that would keep the perp alive to care/councel the victim?

It doesn't cost much money to leave them in a hole and treat them like the scum they are ....I would prolong their sentence and make them suffer twice as much as they made their victims suffer  .In the end, they face the penalty.of death, just like they did with their little victims.. They made their victims suffer long before killing them ..  Too many ( I am sure ) think well it's the death penalty, quick and easy, it will be over with in no time.

View PostSeeker79, on 07 February 2013 - 09:48 PM, said:

I think I'm just more vindictive than you. If its hanous enough to warrant the DP, then death is just to easy. I guess i just can't see death as a svere punishment. If someone murdered my family, I still would not want them
Killed. Though you might have to stop me from doing it for a while. They are going to die anyway, I want them to be isolated with themselves for the rest of their lives. Honestly, if Somone killed my family I would beg the courts not to kill him. I guess I just view death differently.

I would want therm put to death  AFTER a stretch in prison first..

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 07 February 2013 - 10:46 PM.

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#82    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Seeker79

• 12,618 posts

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:48 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 07 February 2013 - 10:44 PM, said:

It doesn't cost much money to leave them in a hole and treat them like the scum they are ....I would prolong their sentence and make them suffer twice as much as they made their victims suffer  .In the end, they face the penalty.of death, just like they did with their little victims.. They made their victims suffer long before killing them ..  Too many ( I am sure ) think well it's the death penalty, quick and easy, it will be over with in no time.

Yes

I would want therm put to death  AFTER a stretch in prison first..
Got it, knowing you are going to be executed has it's merits.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#83    mysticwerewolf

mysticwerewolf

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

• I'm baaaaaack

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:35 AM

the perfect deatrh sentence/  ten stripes with a bull whip, then tie them to a fire ant hill and pour honey over them,
Then walk away. when the bones are clean in a couple weeks grind them up and use them as multch.

edited to add
  as i mentioned in a previous post i went to high school with one of the the Green river victims.

Edited by mysticwerewolf, 08 February 2013 - 12:38 AM.

#84    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,939 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:56 AM

View Postmysticwerewolf, on 08 February 2013 - 12:35 AM, said:

the perfect deatrh sentence/  ten stripes with a bull whip, then tie them to a fire ant hill and pour honey over them,
Then walk away. when the bones are clean in a couple weeks grind them up and use them as multch.

edited to add
  as i mentioned in a previous post i went to high school with one of the the Green river victims.
  Aha, a bit blood thirsty but I understand your loss, but being a bit civilised I would give them a date,then when that came up, give them another,just to make them sweat a bit,then on the third date execute as they would be expecting another reprieve.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#85    Beany

Beany

Government Agent

• 3,706 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:32 AM

What, castration isn't an option?

#86    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,916 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:50 AM

Yes, we need a universal moratorium for a few years.  Then maybe we could look at the question again in a sober way, without the emotions.

I think there will be rare occasions when an execution is essential, for the good of the society.  Some crimes are just too horrific to be dealt with otherwise.  But they should be extraordinarily rare and it should not be the judicial process that decides.  Once the judicial process has convicted someone of a capital crime, then the chief political officer of the jurisdiction (Governor or President or other Head of State) should have a limited power to sign a few death warrants each year.

#87    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Seeker79

• 12,618 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:36 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 08 February 2013 - 03:50 AM, said:

Yes, we need a universal moratorium for a few years.  Then maybe we could look at the question again in a sober way, without the emotions.

I think there will be rare occasions when an execution is essential, for the good of the society.  Some crimes are just too horrific to be dealt with otherwise.  But they should be extraordinarily rare and it should not be the judicial process that decides.  Once the judicial process has convicted someone of a capital crime, then the chief political officer of the jurisdiction (Governor or President or other Head of State) should have a limited power to sign a few death warrants each year.
Why not vote on it?

Bruce Lee-

#88    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,916 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:42 AM

View PostSeeker79, on 08 February 2013 - 04:36 AM, said:

Why not vote on it?
Huh?  Someone would have to have the power to initiate the process, and then you would in many jurisdictions have hundreds a votes a year.  This is better as part of an elected executive's job.

#89    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 16,481 posts

• Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:03 AM

View Postglorybebe, on 06 February 2013 - 04:36 PM, said:

I still maintain we need to stop thinking of it as punishment.  It is protection for society from the people who cannot or will not live by the laws of the land.
law breakers should be "penalised" in anumber of ways. First restorative justice where as far as possible they make amends for their crimes.

Secondly a certain amount of punishment designed to make people think twice about commitng a crime in the first place; and third call that alos retributive justice because tha tis how people expect those who break social laws to be treated  they expect there to be retribution for such crimes.
LAst but not least ther must be an educative component, where the justice systems educate criminals, both in general terms so they have less need to break the law, but also in social terms so they better understand why it is harmful and destructive to do so.
Protection for society is certainly important along with publidc perception tha this protection actually works But a person wh does something wrong needs to understand that there will be consequences for any wrong doing, enforced by their society on them. However, in principle suppose a man killed on an island, where only he and his victim lived. Should he not  still lose his freedom, or even his life, even though there is no one else for him to harm.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world..

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#90    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,916 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:08 AM

The concept of punishment is inextricably linked with our concept of justice.  Indeed, without punishment it is almost impossible to relieve guilt.

Whether what society does when it puts someone in jail or fines them or executes them is "punishment" is arguable.  If it is deterrence, the difference is indistinguishable.  If it is for rehabilitation, then society doesn't seem to take its responsibility very seriously, probably because efforts at rehabilitation are so universally unsuccessful.  If it is just to take the criminal out of circulation until they grow up, it does seem to work, except that so often the criminal learns to be a criminal while in jail.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users