Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

A 'Church for Atheists' opened yesterday

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

• 27,815 posts

• Paranoid Android... *whaa--*

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:43 AM

For years, the Atheists Foundation of Australia (AFA) has held gatherings (church?) for atheists.  They meet once a fortnight.  One fortnight they simply have a social outing at the pub for drinks and dinner.  The other fortnight they hire a hall, and invite a prominent scientist/historian/freethinker to speak (preach?) about whatever they are experts in.  The organisers then hand out a donations cup (offertory plate?) to help pay for the hiring of the hall, after which the people get to hang out and chat (fellowship?).

They didn't call themselves an "atheist church", but nonetheless it was more like church than they would like to believe.  Just because there's no God doesn't mean it isn't church. I'm not sure whether the AFA still holds these meetings, last I checked their website they don't have anything listed there.  But they used to.

This article sounds more like a social statement against religion, what with their singing songs (I don't think the AFA ever did that) and for that I suppose they deserve credit.  I think hearing a speech from a local university biology professor may just be more rewarding (though possibly less exciting) than a standup comedian.

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#17    Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:55 AM

View PostGoblin-5, on 04 February 2013 - 08:50 PM, said:

Seems kind of hypocritical to me. Why call it a church?

They didn't call it a church... From the article, it reads - "It's not a church, it's a congregation of unreligious people."    Even if they were to call it a church, I do not see how that can cause a problem.. Anyone who is accepting of others in whatever path they chose to lead, then they would have no issues with this..

I think that this group is just a bunch of sh** disturbers out for publicity  

I wouldn't put it like that at all..  Everyone who leads a spiritual path own a right to publicly advertise and hope to get more to join them... Christians can do it as often as they wish, and they are in the right.. So I see no harm in atheists doing the same, even if they are expressing their lack of faith... I would not call them a bunch of sh** disturbers either, I have no good reason to..

Take a look at what a Christian preacher has to say about this....( taken from the article )

But Bishop Harrison, a Christian preacher for 30 years, says he does not see his new neighbours as a threat, confidently predicting that their spiritual journey will eventually lead them to God.
"They have got to start from somewhere," he says.

I believe he is not the only Christian to feel they are no threat..  Any decent person would just let them be.. If we are all free to express our faith and lack of it, and if religious people are free to make their new church go public, in the hopes to get more to join them, I see no reason why these people cannot do the same ..  I know you didn't suggest they don't have a right, but you seem rather cheesed off at them for doing this..

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 05 February 2013 - 11:02 AM.

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#18    Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:41 PM

View PostZaphod222, on 05 February 2013 - 04:34 AM, said:

That is an extremely simplistic statement. Disappointing.
But I suppose you´re just trying score some easy points which cheap shots.

Or I was stating my opinion which I got from experiencing both sides first hand. :whistle:

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#19    Timonthy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:56 PM

I don't got no void on a Sunday morning. I'm happy to keep on doing my own thing...

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users