Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Job Versus Paul in Two Allegories

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#31    IamsSon

IamsSon

Unobservable Matter

• 11,873 posts

• ďIf you canít explain it simply, you donít understand it well enough.Ē ~ Albert Einstein

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:59 PM

Ben, did you actually read 1 Cor 15?

"But then with me that horrid doubt always arises whether the convictions of man's mind which has been developed from the mind of the lower animals, are of any value or at all trustworthy. Would any one trust in the convictions of a monkey's mind, if there are any convictions in such a mind?" - Charles Darwin, in a letter to William Graham on July 3, 1881

#32    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 15,010 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:57 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 05 February 2013 - 07:13 AM, said:

So this is extra-Biblical?  What basis does the story have for saying that Paul failed the test?  I don't get the point.

I do have a slight problem with the idea of resurrection that maybe someone would also like to address.  Buddhists say we are reborn -- that aspects of what was us go into a womb and become another person -- there is some continuity of existence there.

Star Trek has a device where people are transported from one point to another, presumably by being recreated atom by atom at the destination while being destroyed atom by atom at the origin.  In this case, how do I know the new person is still "me?"  There is no continuity of existence.  The new me certainly thinks it is me, but the reality is that it isn't.

Now with resurrection -- if you are dead for awhile (non-existent) and then you are recreated in a different body but I presume with the same personality and memories, how can you know that the new entity is really you?  The continuity of existence seems broken just as in Star Trek.
The spirit is never destroyed, only the flesh.  I think that our awareness never really ceases, JMO, but we become aware of being in a new plane or dimension of existence.  To try to explain Ben - he is devoutly anti Christian (again, IMO) and often attempts to bait or goad others into "discussions" about Christ being married, having children or being the illegitimate son of a Roman Centurion.  At first he angered me, then I just had pity for the depth of disgust he seems to have for God.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#33    Ben Masada

Ben Masada

Poltergeist

• 3,128 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:40 PM

View PostJ. K., on 14 February 2013 - 10:10 PM, said:

????    My motivation for what I do is my compassion for people.  Why should I change that?

O gosh! I just said above that you are not called upon to change what you do. That's all right. Stay where you are and be a righteous Gentile. And God bless you too.

Ben

Edited by Ben Masada, 16 February 2013 - 09:41 PM.

#34    Ben Masada

Ben Masada

Poltergeist

• 3,128 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:44 PM

View PostIamsSon, on 15 February 2013 - 09:59 PM, said:

Ben, did you actually read 1 Cor 15?

And more than several times. What would you like to discuss from 1 Cor. 15?

#35    Ben Masada

Ben Masada

Poltergeist

• 3,128 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:51 PM

View Postand then, on 15 February 2013 - 11:57 PM, said:

The spirit is never destroyed, only the flesh.  I think that our awareness never really ceases, JMO, but we become aware of being in a new plane or dimension of existence.  To try to explain Ben - he is devoutly anti Christian (again, IMO) and often attempts to bait or goad others into "discussions" about Christ being married, having children or being the illegitimate son of a Roman Centurion.  At first he angered me, then I just had pity for the depth of disgust he seems to have for God.

I am not anti-Christian; I am pro-Truth. Jesus declared that the Truth is the Word of God. (John 17:17) Then the Psalmist said that the Word of God was given to Israel only and to no other people on earth. (Psalm 147:19,20) If the so-called truth forwarded by Christians is not according to the Word of God, I can't take the Christian side but the side of the Word of God.

Ben

Edited by Ben Masada, 16 February 2013 - 09:53 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users