Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Department of Justice

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1    Drayno

Drayno

Reverend Dudemeister

• 3,682 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:16 PM

http://openchannel.n...-americans?lite

A confidential Justice Department memo concludes that the U.S. government can order the killing of American citizens if they are believed to be “senior operational leaders” of al-Qaida or “an associated force” -- even if there is no intelligence indicating they are engaged in an active plot to attack the U.S.

The 16-page memo, a copy of which was obtained by NBC News, provides new details about the legal reasoning behind one of the Obama administration’s most secretive and controversial polices: its dramatically increased use of drone strikes against al-Qaida suspects abroad, including those aimed at American citizens, such as the  September 2011 strike in Yemen that killed alleged al-Qaida operatives Anwar al-Awlaki and Samir Khan. Both were U.S. citizens who had never been indicted by the U.S. government nor charged with any crimes.  

"One leader, one people, signifies one master and millions of slaves." - Camus

#2    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,295 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:21 PM

Two years from now ... "we believe that Ma Tucker, who runs the grocery store in Nosebleed Teneesese is actually a highly ranked member of Al Quiededa, and therefore we have lawfully executed a drone strike upon her command centre. Sadly this also resulted in the deaths of a dozen other people, but we're at war USA USA USA!".

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#3    Drayno

Drayno

Reverend Dudemeister

• 3,682 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:30 PM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 05 February 2013 - 09:21 PM, said:

Two years from now ... "we believe that Ma Tucker, who runs the grocery store in Nosebleed Teneesese is actually a highly ranked member of Al Quiededa, and therefore we have lawfully executed a drone strike upon her command centre. Sadly this also resulted in the deaths of a dozen other people, but we're at war USA USA USA!".

A new form of McCarthyism.

#4    Corp

Corp

Telekinetic

• 6,950 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:34 PM

Dangerous policy and sounds like it's wide open to abuse. Hopefully it gets challenged and either overturned or gets a very detailed set of guidelines.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth a war, is much worse...A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

#5    Drayno

Drayno

Reverend Dudemeister

• 3,682 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:15 PM

View PostCorp, on 05 February 2013 - 09:34 PM, said:

Dangerous policy and sounds like it's wide open to abuse. Hopefully it gets challenged and either overturned or gets a very detailed set of guidelines.

Charlottesville, Virginia became the first city in the US to ban drones in its airspace, or use of drones by any agency in the city - federal or local.

They need to lead by example.

#6    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,373 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:39 PM

View PostCorp, on 05 February 2013 - 09:34 PM, said:

It won't get challenged, or if it does, the corrupt judiciary will see it upheld.

That's what happened with the NDAA amendment which is just as unconstitutional as this particular usurpation.  The District Court ruled the amendment unconstitutional, but Holder & Obama appealed, and the next court up overturned the lower court.

The Constitution is toast.

#7    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,295 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:58 PM

View PostEonwe, on 05 February 2013 - 10:15 PM, said:

Charlottesville, Virginia became the first city in the US to ban drones in its airspace, or use of drones by any agency in the city - federal or local.

They need to lead by example.
And Pakistan banned it in their airspace. Doesn't stop them.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#8    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 6,721 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:17 PM

View PostEonwe, on 05 February 2013 - 09:16 PM, said:

A confidential Justice Department memo concludes that the U.S. government can order the killing of American citizens if they are believed to be “senior operational leaders” of al-Qaida or “an associated force” -- even if there is no intelligence indicating they are engaged in an active plot to attack the U.S.

Sounds reasonable to me. Get them before there IS an active plot, which, of course, there always is.

#9    Raptor Witness

Raptor Witness

Savant

• 2,293 posts

• ראה

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:56 AM

I always had a particular dislike for the underwear bomber. The ACLU needs to pick a better candidate as a test case. I'll take the CIA's word that Anwar al-Aulaqi was a "bad guy."

On the other hand, I wouldn't want it to be precedent setting, either.

Posted Image "Make Manifest Destiny a memory ..." 12-7-2011  "When the earth is displaced fully three times at the point of destiny ..." 10-29-2013

#10    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 5,805 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:04 AM

:no:   

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#11    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 6,721 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:24 AM

So, Lightly, you're obviously OK with more Islamic terrorist attacks, whether active or in planning stage.

I'm NOT.

Americans or otherwise, if they are associated with al-Qaeda, I say take them out in a puff of smoke.

:gun: :gun: :gun:

#12    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,720 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:44 AM

Of course, if you object to the entire premise you are automatically a suspect and are going to be watched 24/7.

#13    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:58 AM

View PostEonwe, on 05 February 2013 - 09:30 PM, said:

A new form of McCarthyism.
That never dawned on me before. Probably because its so much worse than McCarthyism ,but you're right .

Miss me?

#14    Drayno

Drayno

Reverend Dudemeister

• 3,682 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:01 AM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 06 February 2013 - 03:58 AM, said:

That never dawned on me before. Probably because its so much worse than McCarthyism ,but you're right .

I'm just personally inclined to believe it could be a set up for that type of deal.

#15    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 5,805 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:43 PM

View Postpallidin, on 06 February 2013 - 01:24 AM, said:

So, Lightly, you're obviously OK with more Islamic terrorist attacks, whether active or in planning stage.

I'm NOT.

Americans or otherwise, if they are associated with al-Qaeda, I say take them out in a puff of smoke.

:gun: :gun: :gun:

No, of course NOT.  I'm not OK with anyone attacking anyone.    I'm not OK  with (as i bolded)  American citizens being killed because they are BELIEVED  to be something  EVEN if there is NO INTELLIGENCE  to prove it.    As stated in the  alleged  " confidential Justice Department memo "
:passifier: :passifier: :passifier:

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users