Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Close up picture of Venus

Big Bad Voodoo

Made using an ultraviolet filter in its imaging system, the photo has been color-enhanced to bring out Venus's cloudy atmosphere as the human eye would see it. Venus is perpetually blanketed by a thick veil of clouds high in carbon dioxide and its surface temperature approaches 900 degrees Fahrenheit.

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/imagegallery/image_feature_2443.html

Made using an ultraviolet filter in its imaging system, the photo has been color-enhanced to bring out Venus's cloudy atmosphere as the human eye would see it.

You missed out the bit about this picture being taken by Mariner 10 in 1974.

• Like 2

lol. Well its NASAs picture of the day so I thought... :blush:

LOL

Excuse me Waspie, is this still what we expect a human eye would see, say if in a ship in orbit of Venus? My view with a telescope is quite different.

hahahahaaa.....better you give us a 1974 pic of venus than a 2013 photo of Uranus! :w00t:

Edited by Jacques Terreur
  • Like 4

Excuse me Waspie, is this still what we expect a human eye would see, say if in a ship in orbit of Venus? My view with a telescope is quite different.

To be honest I don't know why they mean when they said:

Made using an ultraviolet filter in its imaging system, the photo has been color-enhanced to bring out Venus's cloudy atmosphere as the human eye would see it.

I uploaded this image to the UM gallery earlier yesterday and the caption confused me then, it is highly ambiguous. Looking through the NASA web sites it looks as if that caption dates back several years, and me even be contempary to the image release.

The image is a false colour UV image and certainly not how the human eye would see it. To the human eye Venus' clouds have a bland, almost uniform appearance as seen in this image taken by MESSENGER on 5th June 2007:

pia10124.jpg

I wonder if the way to interpret that caption is:

Made using an ultraviolet filter in its imaging system, the photo has been color-enhanced to bring out more detail in Venus's cloudy atmosphere compared to how the human eye would see it.
  • Like 1

Waspie this is offtopic. How come that tiny icy moon Enceladus have melted craters?

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by melted craters, but Enceladus is geologically active. Below the solid surface is a liquid ocean. This liquid often breaks through to the surface and has been observed by Cassini as massive geysers. This will resurface Enceladus, covering up older features.

There are several threads on this if you wish to read more:

Its like they were once craters and that they melted like wax. Like it was near sun or some heat...

Right, I'm with you. This is due to the internal heat which is generated by tidal forces between Saturn and Enceladus. It is the same effect that drives the volcanoes on Io, forms a liquid sea under the ice on Europa and causes the cryovolcanoes on Triton.

• Like 1

Right, I'm with you. This is due to the internal heat which is generated by tidal forces between Saturn and Enceladus. It is the same effect that drives the volcanoes on Io, forms a liquid sea under the ice on Europa and causes the cryovolcanoes on Triton.

Do you belive there is ET life in our solar system? If so where?

Do you belive there is ET life in our solar system? If so where?

You have taken this far enough off topic already. Let's not go down the ET route when there is a whole forum for that.

Let's not go down the ET route when there is a whole forum for that.

Yes but I cant never caught you in ET subforum.

Yes but I cant never caught you in ET subforum.

And you probably never will. Now is there any chance of this thread returning to being on topic, which is the planet Venus?

And you probably never will. Now is there any chance of this thread returning to being on topic, which is the planet Venus?

Okay. sorry for goinf off topic.

To be honest I don't know why they mean when they said:

I uploaded this image to the UM gallery earlier yesterday and the caption confused me then, it is highly ambiguous. Looking through the NASA web sites it looks as if that caption dates back several years, and me even be contempary to the image release.

The image is a false colour UV image and certainly not how the human eye would see it. To the human eye Venus' clouds have a bland, almost uniform appearance as seen in this image taken by MESSENGER on 5th June 2007:

pia10124.jpg

I wonder if the way to interpret that caption is:

Thank you mate. It sure had me confused, what you have above is pretty much what I see, but a bit more yellow, and to my eye, it always looks likt the surface is moving, like one big solid turbulent cloud. I have never been 100% sure if that violence is something I am seeing, or if I am just lousy at collimation.

Edited by psyche101

I'd say the OP's photo would more so be what the Bureau of Meteorology would use to predict weather for the people of Venus.

None the less I think the edited and realistic shots both are nice and both display difference in properties of the planet. Just not how the OP explained it first off.

hats off once again waspie.