Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Will Robots Eventually Steal All Of Our Jobs?

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#46    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:48 AM

View PostKludge808, on 11 February 2013 - 10:36 AM, said:

What will happen when there's a job too menial even for a robot?

Robots are made for a purpose. It wouldnt be efficient to create an AI robot for this task for example. So i don't see that scenario happen.

#47    Kludge808

Kludge808

Forum god of all things

• 1,741 posts

• Proud Member of the Geriatric Squadron
    Proud Member of the Thinking Class

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:14 AM

View PostRender, on 11 February 2013 - 10:48 AM, said:

Robots are made for a purpose. It wouldnt be efficient to create an AI robot for this task for example. So i don't see that scenario happen.
I know that's how things are now but will they be in the future?  I can't help but think that at some time virtually all machines will have a high level core with task specific software laid over it.  This works well with economy of scale factored in; build only one or two types of core machines and customize at a higher level.  At some point, it simply won't be efficient to build machines with limited capabilities like that sign waver.  At this point, do we get some human to do it because it's too menial for a robot?

Whirled Infamous Author and all around really strange person
Not a complete idiot.  Some pieces are missing.

One of UM's Happy Mutants

#48    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• 2,080 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:57 AM

View PostKludge808, on 11 February 2013 - 11:14 AM, said:

I know that's how things are now but will they be in the future?  I can't help but think that at some time virtually all machines will have a high level core with task specific software laid over it.  This works well with economy of scale factored in; build only one or two types of core machines and customize at a higher level.  At some point, it simply won't be efficient to build machines with limited capabilities like that sign waver.  At this point, do we get some human to do it because it's too menial for a robot?

Well, of course in the mean time the world evolved too and the need for certain menial tasks will be non existent.
Take this robot billboard thing for example: In the near future stuff like that will become obsolete since you'll have commercials and alike on parts of your car window. When driving through a certain area local store advertising will be projected on your windows/dashboard.

The same will happen with other things.
There is no need and there is no efficiency in creating a robot that is too intelligent for a certain task. Creating and getting an intelligent robots costs a lot of money.
Of course convergence will increase and a basic software could be installed, and there is no reason to make this software "highly intelligent'. You could add a piece upon that for a certain task and replace this with software for another task when needed.
There is no "too menial" taks for a robot. It's a robot, it's programmed to do something because it is an extension of a human. Like a phone is extension of humans their ability to communicate. A shovel is an extension for a human to dig. It's all related to humans their objectifying ability.
Anyways, if a taks becomes too menial it will simply become obsolete. Like phone centrals where the connection happened more "manually". This has become obsolete. There is no reason for its existence. A system is created to take it over. If phones were to die out because communication could solely happen telepathically (just as an example here) then that system will become obsolete and probably a new augmented reality system will take its place.
Too menial things are removed from the equation, that's evolution.

#49    ReddWolfe

ReddWolfe

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:35 PM

probably, but they cant quite yet get the perfection humans put into work.

#50    Order66

Order66

Psychic Spy

• 1,259 posts

• The hate is swelling in you now. Take your Jedi weapon. Use it. I am unarmed. Strike me down with it. Give in to your anger ...

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:02 PM

View Postthe L, on 06 February 2013 - 06:25 AM, said:

But on the other hand, all of this technology is eliminating millions upon millions of high paying jobs.

More productivity leads to cheaper products,  which lowers the cost of living, so it evens out.

Posted Image

#51    highdesert50

highdesert50

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:30 PM

It's interesting how we wrap the word robot. If we look robotics in the simplest sense, we have been using machines for a long time to largely expedite repetitive, menial, and perhaps dangerous tasks, for example grinding grain. I suspect no one complained a lot about a robot grinding grain. But, with the advent of robust computing, robotics has taken a decidedly more prominent role whereby instead of freeing people from the tedious tasks, higher level vocations are now threatened. I think this is evolutionary in that we as a species are creative and will foster further development. But, it also argues that we need to assure that we, as well as our children, are supremely educated so that we remain productive and not subservient. Or, we will be the janitors of the robots.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users