Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* - - - - 1 votes

Aliens...Yes again

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#31    S2F

S2F

Bloodstained Hurricane

• 7,321 posts

• I know someday
    you'll have a beautiful life
    I know you'll be a sun
    In somebody else's sky
    But why can't it be mine? -Pearl Jam

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:57 PM

View PostIBelieveWhatIWant, on 06 February 2013 - 07:36 PM, said:

I constantly meet people (online or real life) who don't think life could possibily exist outside of Earth (some people on here as well, judging by comments I've read on other threads). I'm just posting this to prove that it is almost guaranteed that alien life exist.
By almost I mean 99.9999999999999999% chance it does exist.

I've had exactly the opposite experience, It's pretty rare that I see or hear anyone who doesn't at least recognize the possibility of alien life.

"You want to discuss plausibility then you have to accept reality." -Mattshark

"Don't argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience." -Obviousman

You know... the plural of ``anecdote'' is not ``data''. Similarly, the plural of ``random fact'' is not ``mystical symbolism''. -sepulchrave

#32    IBelieveWhatIWant

IBelieveWhatIWant

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:58 PM

View PostWhyDontYouBeliEveMe, on 06 February 2013 - 07:46 PM, said:

your words ! i have read or heard them before .. i wonder who it was ,, i dont remember that guys name.. its a japanese guy . ah what was his name again ,,   he got a phd in uhhh ahh i dont remember ...
yeah i m sure he said those words..
however i agree .with you 100% we are not alone in this universe ,  and i m sure we have been visited :D
now sit back . open a heineken beer , and wait till they say HELLO .. cheers aliens

ahh i found him dr michio kaku its really is intresting :D
Wow I'm quite honoured to use similar words to him :).
Michio along with Neil Tyson are the only 2 people I can listen to talking about space for long periods without falling asleep.

#33    DBunker

DBunker

Government Agent

• 3,486 posts

• I prefer to know, not just to believe.

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:15 PM

View PostIBelieveWhatIWant, on 06 February 2013 - 07:58 PM, said:

Wow I'm quite honoured to use similar words to him :).
Michio along with Neil Tyson are the only 2 people I can listen to talking about space for long periods without falling asleep.

Absolutely LOVE Tyson.... and Richard Dawkins, but thats another story. Kaku is a little to much "theoretical" speculation prone for my taste.

Edited by DBunker, 06 February 2013 - 08:15 PM.

Now that communications technology has made it possible to give global reach to the bizarre and archive it forever, it is essential for men and women of reason resolutely to counter the delusions of the fringe element. James S. Robbins

#34    zoser

zoser

Sapphire

• 10,009 posts

• It is later than you think.

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:22 PM

View PostIBelieveWhatIWant, on 06 February 2013 - 04:52 PM, said:

Yeah, well people usually don't even read 1 line of a post that contradicts what they believe, they usually just try to make a point to just try and discredit the post like DBunker did.

That's all he ever does.  He never has a hypothesis of his own but just tries to shoot down anything he didn't learn at school.

For what it's worth though I don't think that looking at the numbers of heavenly bodies is going to say anything other than what should be terribly obvious to all.  In my view the human race should have really moved well on from that point now to looking at the meaning of sightings and experiences over the last one hundred years.  

Of course many vested interests exist to keep the sheep at distance from the real evidence.  That's the real problem.

Posted Image

#35    zoser

zoser

Sapphire

• 10,009 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:23 PM

View PostDBunker, on 06 February 2013 - 08:15 PM, said:

Absolutely LOVE Tyson....

How can you love him?  He was accused of rape and bit Evander Hollyfield's ear off.  Terrible thug.

Posted Image

#36    DBunker

DBunker

Government Agent

• 3,486 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:33 PM

View Postzoser, on 06 February 2013 - 08:23 PM, said:

How can you love him?  He was accused of rape and bit Evander Hollyfield's ear off.  Terrible thug.

I know you are absolutely serious saying that. :yes:

For the new dude.... this is our woo woo guy, zoser. He believes pretty much in everything.

Edited by DBunker, 06 February 2013 - 08:36 PM.

Now that communications technology has made it possible to give global reach to the bizarre and archive it forever, it is essential for men and women of reason resolutely to counter the delusions of the fringe element. James S. Robbins

#37    zoser

zoser

Sapphire

• 10,009 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:40 PM

View PostDBunker, on 06 February 2013 - 08:33 PM, said:

I know you are absolutely serious saying that. :yes:

For the new dude.... this is our woo woo guy, zoser. He believes pretty much in everything.

Everything that should be common sense for anyone with a little grey matter.

Posted Image

#38    DBunker

DBunker

Government Agent

• 3,486 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:43 PM

View Postzoser, on 06 February 2013 - 08:40 PM, said:

"Grey" being the key word here. :alien:

Edited by DBunker, 06 February 2013 - 08:47 PM.

#39    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 14,160 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:11 PM

View Postzoser, on 06 February 2013 - 08:40 PM, said:

common sense indeed. says the forum entity who laps up the following nutcake and believes everything he says (do read it please)

http://thedingleberr...wanted-to-know/

ps: its pink matter actually   :tu:

Edited by seeder, 06 February 2013 - 09:13 PM.

It wasn’t the miners who got rich; it was the people selling picks and shovels. Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#40    green_dude777

green_dude777

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

• When you look back in life, you don't regret what you did, you regret what you never attempted.

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:48 PM

View PostIBelieveWhatIWant, on 06 February 2013 - 04:54 PM, said:

All I was saying is that it takes more than 1 sentence for an educated person to try and debunk something. Especially if it is near impossible to debunk.

There's actually a term for this... http://en.wikipedia....iki/Laconic_wit

On top of an easy to find answer for your inquiry.. http://en.wikipedia....of_biochemistry

To sum up an answer, astrobiologists are aware that there can be other forms of biochemistry, but searching for stuff in the vastness of space isn't cheap.  You have to pick and choose your 'shots', for lack of a better term.  Since we know all life (with one exception of an arsenic based organism) is carbon based, our best bet is to look for that.  That's also why liquid water on rocky planets is a hot spot, we know life can exist on a rocky planet with liquid water.  If you only had enough money to look for something in one place, wouldn't you try in a place that has a higher probability of supporting life as you know it?

Also, your last statement in your initial post is just terrible for so many reasons.  Scientific inquiry requires rebuttals, your statement makes me believe you can't produce one.

#41    Hazzard

Hazzard

Stellar Black Hole

• 11,762 posts

• Being skeptical of the paranormal is a good thing.

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:56 PM

View PostIBelieveWhatIWant, on 06 February 2013 - 04:23 PM, said:

I've looked though some of the past threads based around the possibility of Extraterrestrial Life but from what I saw none of them brought up the point I am about to make, now I would have posted it in those threads but they have since been locked so here it is:

We used to think that the Sun and basically everything else revolved around the Earth not the other way around, which has been found as false so is it so far fetched to think we are the only life in the entire universe?? The points I'm about to bring to you have been proven by science and credited astronomers. Now I don't want to get into alien life on Earth or anything like that just the possibility of alien life.

To start there are more than 100 billion galaxies in the universe, on that statement alone brings the odds in my favour because if there are 100 billion galaxies there would easily be much more than 100 trillion planets so just saying we are the only life in the universe is saying the odds of us forming in the first place is 1 out of 100,000,000,000,000.

I wanna keep this post short so I'll just post the main points in this

Second Point. As an educated guess by astronomers and based on the amount of planets  found by Kepler in 2010, they judged an estimated 17 billion habitable planets in our galaxy alone.

So now if we look at the 100 billion galaxies in the universe and being generous saying in each there are 10 billion habitable planets that is 1 trillion possible habitable planets, that's just judging but the "ingredients" we are made up of and what kind of environment we need to survive

Recently on Earth micro organisms we found to be living off of carbon dioxide. So who is to say that else where in the universe there isn't other life living off the same chemicals??

I truly believe that we are limiting ourselves for the possibility of finding life by only looking for similar planets to Earth when for all we know Venus could house life. Just because there is sulfuric acid for clouds and lava as oceans on Venus doesn't mean life couldn't survive there, just not life with our make-up.

Anyway guys I think I've taken up enough of your time, so have at it.
Good,bad or ugly I wanna know your thoughts but please no generic 1 word or sentence responses like to try and debunk the entire thing because I can tell you now, it just makes you look uneducated.

Welcome to UM, BWIW.

At present, Earth is the only example we have of a planet with life, If we learned the planet would be habitable for a set period and that we had evolved early in this period, then even with a sample of one, we could suspect that evolution from simple to complex and intelligent life was quite likely to occur. But now scientists believe that we evolved late in the habitable period, and this suggests that our evolution is rather unlikely.

Then, there is also the Fermi Paradox.  http://www.seti.org/...s/fermi-paradox

The point is, we simply dont know. We can speculate, suspect and hope,... but we have no way of knowing, not yet.

Edited by Hazzard, 06 February 2013 - 11:57 PM.

I still await the compelling Exhibit A.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -Edmund Burke

#42    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 15,203 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:38 AM

View Postzoser, on 06 February 2013 - 08:23 PM, said:

I've now got this mental image of Neil De Gasse Tyson with boxing gloves.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

You may think you're cool, but you'll never be as cool as Peter Capaldi with an electric guitar, on a tank, playing the Doctor Who theme.

#43    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 19,031 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:41 AM

Brings to mind Hook ,Line and Stinker ! :tu:
Anything With a "Z" at the start of the topic Im looking for that sharp object to hit the head against!

This is a Work in Progress!

#44    SwampgasBalloonBoy

SwampgasBalloonBoy

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:12 AM

They could be closer then some might think

http://news.yahoo.co...-174405856.html

#45    psyche101

psyche101

The Customer.

• 38,326 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:20 AM

View Postzoser, on 06 February 2013 - 08:22 PM, said:

Of course many vested interests exist to keep the sheep at distance from the real evidence.  That's the real problem.

You do keep trying, but it is not working. People who think like you already had their minds made up. Sometimes by the voices in their heads................

But when you already have the answer, you are not going to keep looking, That is where the AA drivel and the like dries up. But you just keep asking the same things, hoping one day that someone somewhere will give you the answer you want.

You even know deep down that all the rubbish you have posted is childish Sci Fi nonsense, That is whay you attack the academics, ohh not, I, I am too much for you as my fuse is short, but people with patience and knowledge are your targets I just scared you off. You always ask Harte and Oniomancer and Abe how things are done, and when they tell you, you give some rude ignorant reply to them, and dismiss thier hard work at the wave of a hand. But you do not hang around with the decidedly credulous, you make the odd supportive coment here and there, well done and so forth, indeed life is all around us, that sort of feelgood crap, but you do not get into deep conversations with the really credulous, like ZR, BR, Bee, TSR, all those with a very extreme and unsupported view. You lot could PM back and forth about your "knowledge" all day and be happy as pigs in mud, but you do not, you go for the opposite side. I have been in some deep conversations, heck even challenged Lost Shaman a few times, and Peri, and mostly lost, yet in that I win, but you do not have a liking for conversing with your own likeminded, I find that somwehat interesting.
Your anti science agenda is comparable to the nonsense creationists are trying to force into schools. In my opinion, what you state publicly about education should be a crime. Just like they should be outlawed for calling that rubbish a science.

Edited by psyche101, 07 February 2013 - 08:27 AM.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users