Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 3 votes

'Ghost Hunters'Team Captures Footage Of Ghost

peoria asylum ghost hunters ghost

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#61    sam_comm

sam_comm

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 03:15 PM

View PostSkepticalB, on 20 September 2013 - 02:07 AM, said:

actually it does not.  its just cheap enough to make a small profit on poor ratings

like a show about some random people walking around old buildings

Well, Ghost Hunters got the highest ratings of any reality programming on the NBC owned channel Syfy, please get your fact straight! That's why it has reached 9 seasons. It air on the Oxygen and the Canadian OLN network as well.

If Ghost Hunters is still alive today that's because it has a strong fanbase to watch the show. Now with Grant's departure I think the show is steadily going towards it's end. 9 seasons is considered a great achievement on TV and Ghost Hunters was initially meant to go for a couple episode...

Edited by sam_comm, 20 September 2013 - 03:24 PM.

#62    Brian Topp

Brian Topp

Dynamic Interactions Coordinator Of Paradoxes.

• 3,025 posts

• My youtube channel, Has horror stories and skits.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCreepyCorridor

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:03 AM

View Postsam_comm, on 20 September 2013 - 03:15 PM, said:

Well, Ghost Hunters got the highest ratings of any reality programming on the NBC owned channel Syfy, please get your fact straight! That's why it has reached 9 seasons. It air on the Oxygen and the Canadian OLN network as well.

If Ghost Hunters is still alive today that's because it has a strong fanbase to watch the show. Now with Grant's departure I think the show is steadily going towards it's end. 9 seasons is considered a great achievement on TV and Ghost Hunters was initially meant to go for a couple episode...

Clearly you don't follow ratings, they use to have a ratings log but was taken down in 2011. On the year 2011 their ratings went down to 1.2 million viewers compared to 3 million viewers. They have been a float for 1.2m to 1.4 mil over time but now in 2013 their ratings has dropped more.

Ghost hunters are also low budget compared to other shows that require.. special effects.

Edited by Brian Topp, 21 September 2013 - 12:03 AM.

It is easier to claim it is paranormal than taking the hard route and find out what really happened.

#63    ZOD

ZOD

Future Leader of Earth

• 4,890 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:19 PM

...so maybe you should get YO' facts straight

Battle isn't wordplay.  It's skill and precision.  Get it? I'm better.

#64    Esoteric Toad

Esoteric Toad

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

• Where does one get certified as an "Ancient Astronaut Theorist" or "Cryptozoologist"?

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:51 PM

The fact that these program claim to have found definitive evidence of paranormal activity and then do virtually nothing to actually research it beyond a single episode is evidence enough that there is nothing to any of their claims.

IF any 'real' evidence existed no one would simply shoot some video and move on. IF someone could prove beyond a doubt that there were some sort of supernatural entities running amok in a building I do not think there would be much debate. Eventually real science would kick in an it would be researched. Instead these shows, like most hobbyist, visit a supposed haunted location, shoot some video, act startled, make claims and then move on. To hear some of these folks the ghosts (or whatever they are supposed to be) basically put a show on, repeatedly.

A friend of mine purchased a home that is supposed to be haunted. He gives tours and the claims of regular activity crack me up. The goal of 'paranormal research' is supposed to be (at least as I understand it) to find real evidence. Again, if these events are so easy to find (with gadgets or without) why isn't there mountains of documented, scientifically, proof?

It is faith, belief, that keep these things going. If you believe and your faith is strong enough no amount of real evidence is going to change your mind. The use of 'mediums' as a tool to prove the existence of 'spirits or ghosts' illustrates that perfectly. One cannot prove what a medium claims so how can they be used to verify the existence of yet another thing that has not been shown to exist?

#65    sam_comm

sam_comm

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:20 PM

View PostBrian Topp, on 21 September 2013 - 12:03 AM, said:

Clearly you don't follow ratings, they use to have a ratings log but was taken down in 2011. On the year 2011 their ratings went down to 1.2 million viewers compared to 3 million viewers. They have been a float for 1.2m to 1.4 mil over time but now in 2013 their ratings has dropped more.

Ghost hunters are also low budget compared to other shows that require.. special effects.

The show run since 2004, obviously the ratings drop over time. Especially in a show like Ghost Hunters which use basically the same formula since it's very beginning. Still, they remain in the top reality shows of the Syfy channel. It is the precursor of many paranormal Ghost Hunting shows on TV and is kind of the baby of the Syfy channel. It once got along with Face Off, the highest ratings of the syfy channel. Ghost Hunters international and Ghost Hunters Academy have been thrown out  the window for they didn't met expectations.

Actually in the 2011 it averaged 1,6 Millions viewers in mid-season. A significant drop from the past seasons but still not too bad. In 2012 the show got spikes up to 2,7 Millions in terms of audiences averaging 1,5 millions. So, the show still maintenaned a fairly solid base which I think is the reason the show is still on.

In 2013, with Grant's departure in started pretty badly with a 1.208 million viewers and 0.4 in the 18-48. But it steadily get back it's pace with 1.669 million viewers, for episode 4  0.745 million adults 18-49 a rating of 0.6 and 1.437 million viewers for summer finale.

I think it is clear that Ghost Hunters is going towards it's end. It may get a 10 seasons though that is not a certainty but I hardly see it get past beyond that. All things must come to an end.

Edited by sam_comm, 21 September 2013 - 07:37 PM.

#66    ZOD

ZOD

Future Leader of Earth

• 4,890 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 10:32 PM

Face Off is dope

that aside, the viewership debate seems to be off point a bit.

Just because a lot of people like it, doesn't mean its real.

Pro-wrestling, Jerry Springer, all reality shows ever

#67    Brian Topp

Brian Topp

• 3,025 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:23 PM

View PostSkepticalB, on 21 September 2013 - 10:32 PM, said:

Face Off is dope

that aside, the viewership debate seems to be off point a bit.

Pro-wrestling, Jerry Springer, all reality shows ever

PRO wrestling is real, I mean them stamping the ground as they punch people always happen IRL

It is easier to claim it is paranormal than taking the hard route and find out what really happened.

#68    sam_comm

sam_comm

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 01:29 PM

View PostSkepticalB, on 21 September 2013 - 10:32 PM, said:

Absolutely but by this logic if I may add: Just because many skeptics have tried to discredit it and doesn't like it, doesn't mean their findings are not legit!

I personally don't care if most scenes are not really spontaneous and the investigations are fragmented, what matters to me is the findings and I can't disprove them and haven't seen any convincing proofs that they're manipulated or faked. I rather do believe that T.A.P.S has it's intergrity to preserve and would not go that that road. Even Syfy doesn't seems to be fond for this kind of deceits, at least for this show, each member cast in Ghost Hunters have a close in their contracts forbidding them to do such a thing according to Grant Wilson in an radio interview when he left. Some may deem him a liair and deceiver but I don't support this view.

Edited by sam_comm, 22 September 2013 - 01:43 PM.

#69    Brian Topp

Brian Topp

• 3,025 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 02:08 PM

View Postsam_comm, on 22 September 2013 - 01:29 PM, said:

Absolutely but by this logic if I may add: Just because many skeptics have tried to discredit it and doesn't like it, doesn't mean their findings are not legit!

I personally don't care if most scenes are not really spontaneous and the investigations are fragmented, what matters to me is the findings and I can't disprove them and haven't seen any convincing proofs that they're manipulated or faked. I rather do believe that T.A.P.S has it's intergrity to preserve and would not go that that road. Even Syfy doesn't seems to be fond for this kind of deceits, at least for this show, each member cast in Ghost Hunters have a close in their contracts forbidding them to do such a thing according to Grant Wilson in an radio interview when he left. Some may deem him a liair and deceiver but I don't support this view.

I never seen any one here said they didn't like it, just it's not real. I enjoy storage wars and that is totally stagged.

#70    ZOD

ZOD

Future Leader of Earth

• 4,890 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:12 AM

Ill agree with you Sammy, trying to discredit something doesn't mean its fake....nope, not at all......*sips water*

*throws glass at wall*

Unfortunately, actually discrediting them, as has been done.
And, interviews with former members, admitting its fake, and, the presence of all the videos showing the fakes, (which, since you've used youtube videos to back yourself up, I'll have to assume you see Youtube as science's zenith of proof) all come together, to show that this show, with it's Superhero complex havin' hot topic host, is a fake.

...sorry about the glass

#71    Brian Topp

Brian Topp

• 3,025 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:00 AM

View PostSkepticalB, on 26 September 2013 - 02:12 AM, said:

Ill agree with you Sammy, trying to discredit something doesn't mean its fake....nope, not at all......*sips water*

*throws glass at wall*

Unfortunately, actually discrediting them, as has been done.
And, interviews with former members, admitting its fake, and, the presence of all the videos showing the fakes, (which, since you've used youtube videos to back yourself up, I'll have to assume you see Youtube as science's zenith of proof) all come together, to show that this show, with it's Superhero complex havin' hot topic host, is a fake.

...sorry about the glass
Posted Image

#72    HeathenRoyalty

HeathenRoyalty

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 329 posts

• "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." -Hunter S. Thompson

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:12 AM

^ Wow, I have nothing to say. ^

#73    Camarel

Camarel

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 212 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:26 AM

View PostBrian Topp, on 26 September 2013 - 03:00 AM, said:

Posted Image

That's much more terrifying than anything any of these ghost shows have found :o

#74    Angel1510

Angel1510

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:54 AM

View PostEsoteric Toad, on 21 September 2013 - 06:51 PM, said:

The fact that these program claim to have found definitive evidence of paranormal activity and then do virtually nothing to actually research it beyond a single episode is evidence enough that there is nothing to any of their claims.

IF any 'real' evidence existed no one would simply shoot some video and move on. IF someone could prove beyond a doubt that there were some sort of supernatural entities running amok in a building I do not think there would be much debate. Eventually real science would kick in an it would be researched. Instead these shows, like most hobbyist, visit a supposed haunted location, shoot some video, act startled, make claims and then move on. To hear some of these folks the ghosts (or whatever they are supposed to be) basically put a show on, repeatedly.

A friend of mine purchased a home that is supposed to be haunted. He gives tours and the claims of regular activity crack me up. The goal of 'paranormal research' is supposed to be (at least as I understand it) to find real evidence. Again, if these events are so easy to find (with gadgets or without) why isn't there mountains of documented, scientifically, proof?

It is faith, belief, that keep these things going. If you believe and your faith is strong enough no amount of real evidence is going to change your mind. The use of 'mediums' as a tool to prove the existence of 'spirits or ghosts' illustrates that perfectly. One cannot prove what a medium claims so how can they be used to verify the existence of yet another thing that has not been shown to exist?

I agree with you totally.  I have investigated with a few paranormal teams and each one claimed to promote evidence based research.  It all depends on the person actually running the group.  At every meeting I challenged what research and where was the paperwork.  They should have had filing cabinets full of reports.  I tried to get them to monitor things which could be tested. ie, temp, humity, weather conditions.  Controls needed to be set out where this could be done on a regular basis.  When a member of the group claimed the temp had dropped, how can you confirm this without a prior reading? I would keep my own notes and prepare reports after the event but I believed every member of the group should do the same.  These are just basic things which really prove nothing but do give a record of events occurring throughout the evening.  Alas the room of filing cabinets never appeared, although the groups popularity did rise leading to media events and radio shows.  One particular group was involved with the crew of Most Haunted.

#75    ZOD

ZOD

Future Leader of Earth

• 4,890 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:56 PM

....Brian, i dunno where you got that gif of me, but i dont appreciate my image being used for free.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users