Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


* * * * * 1 votes

Climate change means catastrophe in UK

climate change global warning heatwaves flooding elderly people

  • Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

    Deeply Mysterious

  • 38,562 posts
  • Joined:01 Jun 2008
  • Gender:Female

  • "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:49 PM

Global warming in Britain will not mean a nice "café culture, sitting outside sipping lattes" but heatwaves that kill vulnerable elderly people and catastrophic flooding, a climate change expert has warned.

http://www.telegraph...-professor.html

Posted Image

#2    Asadora

Asadora

    Astral Projection

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts
  • Joined:06 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:TN -> Leeds, UK

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:29 PM

Oh, I say... I wonder if that means air conditioning will become a standard here instead of a luxury.
We got central heat... so why not central air conditioning!
..not that we actually need it well not at the moment, but maybe one day... one day.

"From time to time there appear on the face of the earth men of rare and consummate excellence, who dazzle us by their virtue, and whose outstanding qualities shed a stupendous light. Like those extraordinary stars of whose origins we are ignorant, and of whose fate, once they have vanished, we know even less, such men have neither forebears nor descendants: they are the whole of their race."  -- Jean de la Bruyere 1645-1696.

#3    TheLastLazyGun

TheLastLazyGun

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts
  • Joined:08 Apr 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The edge of the West Pennine Moors, Northern England

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:45 PM

Here we go again.  Yet more "climate change" doommongering.

"We are all going to die!  Millions of us, especially the elderly, are all going to frazzle, and billions of people around the world are going to drown because of rising sea levels!  We are doomed!  Doomed!  The end is nigh!"

What a load of over-the-top, exaggerated tripe, especially when the Met Office admitted in December that there is no global warming (something which the writer of that silly article is deciding, for reasons best known to himself and his newspaper, to ignore).

Edited by TheLastLazyGun, 07 February 2013 - 02:46 PM.


#4    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 10,651 posts
  • Joined:13 Aug 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Eire

  • Stupid Monkeys.

    Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:48 PM

View PostTheLastLazyGun, on 07 February 2013 - 02:45 PM, said:

Here we go again.  Yet more "climate change" doommongering.

"We are all going to die!  Millions of us, especially the elderly, are all going to frazzle, and billions of people around the world are going to drown because of rising sea levels!  We are doomed!  Doomed!  The end is nigh!"

What a load of over-the-top, exaggerated tripe, especially when the Met Office admitted in December that there is no global warming (something which the writer of that silly article is deciding, for reasons best known to himself and his newspaper, to ignore).
No they did not.
Since you are so convinced you are right about what the Met Office reported - please supply us with the exact quote from them which says that global warming stopped.

I am waiting !!

Br Cornelius

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#5    questionmark

questionmark

    Cinicus Magnus

  • Member
  • 35,611 posts
  • Joined:26 Jun 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Greece and Des Moines, IA

  • In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:57 PM

Well, I am not surprised. The prediction for the Aegean Islands was that it would get wetter, something we really did not mind. And it got wetter, just the rain days have not increased...they are more torrential now.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#6    stevewinn

stevewinn

    Government Agent

  • Member
  • 8,746 posts
  • Joined:05 Feb 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Liverpool, England

  • Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:46 PM

View PostTheLastLazyGun, on 07 February 2013 - 02:45 PM, said:

Here we go again.  Yet more "climate change" doommongering.

"We are all going to die!  Millions of us, especially the elderly, are all going to frazzle, and billions of people around the world are going to drown because of rising sea levels!  We are doomed!  Doomed!  The end is nigh!"

What a load of over-the-top, exaggerated tripe, especially when the Met Office admitted in December that there is no global warming (something which the writer of that silly article is deciding, for reasons best known to himself and his newspaper, to ignore).

totally agree, catastrophe indeed, with the UK's small landmass and position off the Atlantic Ocean, and our longitude, latitude, position of the gulf stream, and Jet stream means the UK's weather as and will always remain unpredictable. that is why us Brits have the weather as our number one topic of choice for conversation.

Br makes me laugh, he moved from the UK to go and live in one of the wettest and hence dull murky, overcast country's in the world Ireland. and then moans about global warming. :lol:

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#7    cultanorak

cultanorak

    Alien Embryo

  • Banned
  • Pip
  • 103 posts
  • Joined:07 Jul 2010
  • Gender:Male

  • I imagine you have orders to destroy me?

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:02 PM

this is what all those people who dislike and moan about the british weather deserve. If you dont like the weather in Britain sod off!


#8    OverSword

OverSword

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 13,406 posts
  • Joined:16 Oct 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Seattle WA USA

  • When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:47 PM

View Postyearofthehater, on 12 February 2013 - 10:02 PM, said:

this is what all those people who dislike and moan about the british weather deserve. If you dont like the weather in Britain sod off!
LOL!  That's what Seattle says to the rest of the USA.  I understand that we have very similar weather.


#9    cultanorak

cultanorak

    Alien Embryo

  • Banned
  • Pip
  • 103 posts
  • Joined:07 Jul 2010
  • Gender:Male

  • I imagine you have orders to destroy me?

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:59 PM

View PostOverSword, on 12 February 2013 - 10:47 PM, said:

LOL!  That's what Seattle says to the rest of the USA.  I understand that we have very similar weather.

So I've heard.

I enjoy wet rainy weather and dull overcast skies so I'm sure I'd like the climate of Seattle. Not to mention the great bands that have come from there!


#10    OverSword

OverSword

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 13,406 posts
  • Joined:16 Oct 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Seattle WA USA

  • When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:10 PM

View Postyearofthehater, on 12 February 2013 - 10:59 PM, said:

So I've heard.

I enjoy wet rainy weather and dull overcast skies so I'm sure I'd like the climate of Seattle. Not to mention the great bands that have come from there!
Well if you ever come for a holiday (this to any UMer's) let me know and we'll arrange to meet for a meal and drinks or something.  There's alot of good food here too.


#11    keithisco

keithisco

    Majestic 12 Operative

  • Member
  • 6,048 posts
  • Joined:06 May 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rincon de Loix, Benidorm

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:28 PM

View Poststevewinn, on 08 February 2013 - 06:46 PM, said:

totally agree, catastrophe indeed, with the UK's small landmass and position off the Atlantic Ocean, and our longitude, latitude, position of the gulf stream, and Jet stream means the UK's weather as and will always remain unpredictable. that is why us Brits have the weather as our number one topic of choice for conversation.

Br makes me laugh, he moved from the UK to go and live in one of the wettest and hence dull murky, overcast country's in the world Ireland. and then moans about global warming. :lol:
I expect no more from you SW... UK is part of the Eurasian Landmass; The Jetstream caused huge damage last year when it failed to move from its nomal seasonal change; The Gulf Stream has diminished by 30% in the last 20 years (WILL lead to Scandinavian weather in the UK), Autumnal Arctic Ice at record lows.... it goes on and on.

Where a person chooses to live is totally irrelevant,and whilst you think it amusing, it is just another "Deniers" attempt to deflect from reality

@Oversword: I spent enough time with Boeing (Seattle) to know that only a duck or a Penguin would volunteer to go back there :whistle:  People and food were great though!! :yes:

Edited by keithisco, 13 February 2013 - 04:29 PM.


#12    Eldorado

Eldorado

    Unforgiven

  • Member
  • 10,491 posts
  • Joined:29 Oct 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Scotland

  • I reckon so.

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:27 AM

View Postyearofthehater, on 12 February 2013 - 10:02 PM, said:

this is what all those people who dislike and moan about the british weather deserve. If you dont like the weather in Britain sod off!

Complaining about the weather is a great British pastime!
It's our weather and we can complain about it all we like.  If you don't like us complaining, why don't you 'sod off'!

:)

Edited by Eldorado, 14 February 2013 - 10:28 AM.


#13    OverSword

OverSword

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 13,406 posts
  • Joined:16 Oct 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Seattle WA USA

  • When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:30 PM

View Postkeithisco, on 13 February 2013 - 04:28 PM, said:

@Oversword: I spent enough time with Boeing (Seattle) to know that only a duck or a Penguin would volunteer to go back there :whistle:  People and food were great though!! :yes:

But since 'global warming' has been occurring it's only wet and cold  when there's weather.  On the days without weather its like living in the tropics now :ph34r:

Edited by OverSword, 14 February 2013 - 03:30 PM.


#14    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

    hi

  • Member
  • 8,255 posts
  • Joined:22 Apr 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portsmouth

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:50 PM

View Postyearofthehater, on 12 February 2013 - 10:02 PM, said:

this is what all those people who dislike and moan about the british weather deserve. If you dont like the weather in Britain sod off!
It's culture unfortunately, I bet people back in the 40's or earlier moan about the cold or heat.


#15    cultanorak

cultanorak

    Alien Embryo

  • Banned
  • Pip
  • 103 posts
  • Joined:07 Jul 2010
  • Gender:Male

  • I imagine you have orders to destroy me?

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:00 AM

View PostThe New Richard Nixon, on 14 February 2013 - 03:50 PM, said:

It's culture unfortunately, I bet people back in the 40's or earlier moan about the cold or heat.

Everyone who doesn't like the British weather should be made to leave the country for good! It would solve the overpopulation crsis here and also I wouldn't have to listen to people moaning about the British weather I like so much.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users