Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why are male homosexuals so talented

Frank Merton

It's a bit different in England :P I've heard of people turned away because they didn't "look" gay enough. Though in saying that, I've been in a gay bar before and went on to pull a lady... now that's talent!

they are popular with the Ladies, but usually because there's not so much likelihood of being hit on.

Never heard of something like that, sounds pretty stupid. But maybe they were aiming at a very flamboyant clientele.

lol....no it's because us straight guys tend to freak out when they see two men kissing....obviously i'm generalising but that's the point....

had a stag do once and my bro had booked us into hotel about 3 miles from where all the nightlife was...but it was next do to a gay club....at 3am when we all staggered back we tried to get in there for a late drink....bouncers wouldnt have it as we were all obviously straight....eventually managed to blag our way after many promises of good behaviour.

after being hit on twice in 10 minutes and watching 2 guys giving it some proper tongue action we made for the exits...

Edited by dekker87

I think some women like the idea of sex with a gay guy -- they have something other women lack. It's maybe (I emphasize the maybe here because this is all wild-ass speculation) the same reason straight guys are so attracted to hot lesbians (but not to the butch types).

I was just reading abook entitled Out of the Past: Gay & Lesbian History from 1869* that talked about this very question. It said, not unreasonably I thought, "By and large it has been the wealthy and educated- frequently writers and artists- who have left a 'paper trail' of diaries and letters behind; often the only descriptions of gay lives of the past come from them. The experiences of working- and middle-class people have been difficult to discover and to chronicle". Again, it was the circles that people moved in that made it possible for them to behave in an identifiably gay fashion, while the ordinary people kept very quiet about it.

* why 1869? Because that was the first time the word Homosexualist was used, as I'm sure you all knew

I used to wonder about this a lot as well... but somewhere along the way I think I decided it was mostly an illusion that they were actually more talented, but that gay people are certainly more inclined to get involved in the act of being creative than straight people. So the incidence of gay talents is disproportionately high.

Cos when I look at all my actual top heroes in the arts and such- very few of them are actually gay.

At a guess I'd say the balance redresses itself at the top because straight people who are intensely talented tend to get drawn into manifesting it as much as their equivalent gay geniuses.

A completely separate but interesting thing: I was reading not long ago that new research had shown that a lower testosterone to estrogen ratio than average in men, and vice-versa in women- has a correlation with higher intelligence. So, more effeminate men and more masculine women (at least genetically).

Now I think there's no connection with gay guys- in fact they might have slightly higher testosterone than straight guys? But it's an interesting issue.

I deny the existence of innate talent. It's only a question of how strongly you're willing to pursue a certain skill.

I disagree. I used to play football for nearly my entire life, and I can kick a ball quite well, but despite the hard work, I never got anything close to what is required for becoming a pro player, while others had the chance with less training. I do agree that by hard work you can overtake others with higher talent, but the talent is still there. There are things you cannot learn.

I did a lot of hitch hiking as a 16 y/o back in the 70s and yes, I recall being picked up by many gays wanting to find a secluded spot to discuss art and recite lines from plays etc, but yeah, in life, many of the gay (non predatory) people Ive spoken to have left a lasting impression on me...arty, vibrant and witty...wonderful, wonderful people...

I deny the existence of innate talent. It's only a question of how strongly you're willing to pursue a certain skill.

That is major wishful thinking.

The only way that could ever be possible is if everyone had exactly the same cloned brain. That isn't the case, people have varying faculty strengths- so different degrees of 'talent' for whatever task you apply yourself to are inevitable.

Of course you have to work hard. But how quickly you pick things up, and, separately, what your ultimate potential is, varies between people.

Edited by Ad hoc

That is major wishful thinking.

By denying innate talent, I'm not at all saying everyone has the potential to reach the same level of proficiency in something. This is ultimately a product of many variables too numerous to mention. What I reject is the idea that a person's high ability to preform in a certain area is innate to the person by genetics or gift. it's a product of circumstance and deliberate practice. I reject the idea that some people are just "gifted" in of itself.

Edited by Demonic Moth

That there is such a thing as innate talent is impossible to deny; that training and discipline can offset its absence is perhaps possible but gonna be hard. Children should generally be encouraged in things they show talent in and not forced elsewhere.

For example, there is the "green thumb" phenomenon, which is something I think is found worldwide, more often in women but not exclusively. Then there is the ability to cook, and of course musical and artistic and athletic and academic and linguistic talents.

What we are is what we are; Tchaikovsky worried about his "sin" being "part of his nature" (we presume he speaks of his homosexuality) and that no amount of prayer and zeal on his part could do anything about it. We know his musical talent was also part of his nature, and it was recognized at an early age (not untypical). The suspicion that there is a loose connection is hard to avoid, but the connection has to be loose because, even though gay talent of that sort no doubt exceeds the overall gay population, there is certainly more straight talent regardless.

That there is such a thing as innate talent is impossible to deny

Hardly. And I'm far from being alone to.

http://www.nytimes.c...wanted=all&_r=0

training and discipline can offset its absence is perhaps possible but gonna be hard.

Yet "Child prodigies" are all made by exactly that. Training and discipline coupled with obsessive pushy parents.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/oct/17/oliver-james-child-prodigies

Obviously there's no real winning either way. If you have it set in your mind that some people just posses some inexplicable innate "awesomeness" then there's not much I can actually say to dissuade you from that belief. As I've said before; I'm not saying that everyone has the same potential in every area, as that's clearly not true. What I reject is the idea that this potential (within reason) is immutable.

Edited by Demonic Moth