Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* - - - - 1 votes

Support For Universal Gun Background Checks

firearms background checks gun control

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:20 PM

View Postglorybebe, on 07 February 2013 - 05:16 PM, said:

Here in Canada, if you had training, even if you were in cadets you would be drafted, if it came to the draft, regardless of sex.  The only thing is that you may be drafted to train the younger draftees.

Cool if that's the way we want it here i am good with it,just no exceptions at all other than health issues.

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#17    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,105 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:23 PM

View PostHerNibs, on 07 February 2013 - 05:07 PM, said:

In my state private sales do NOT require background checks.

Here either.  I'm mulling an offer made to me to purchase either a AR-10 or an AK-47 from one of my wife's patients.  AK is much cheaper.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated."
- Hunt for the Skinwalker

"So many people forget that the first country the Nazis invaded was their own." Dr. Abraham Erskine

#18    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 12,834 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:29 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 07 February 2013 - 04:52 PM, said:

in WA, in VA they even stopped voluntary background checksat gun shows
If that is a link, it doesn't work for me.  Does this mean a background check done between private, individual sales?  All FFL dealers I've ever purchased from required the background check.  Requiring one citizen to check on another for private sales is a step too far IMO.  If there were a simple mechanism in place where responsibility for error lay in a sheriff's office for example, then I might reconsider.  But if I have them fill out a yellow sheet and they lie, I would not want to be held liable.

Imagination is the power in the turn of a phrase.

#19    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 34,254 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:32 PM

View Postand then, on 07 February 2013 - 05:29 PM, said:

If that is a link, it doesn't work for me.  Does this mean a background check done between private, individual sales?  All FFL dealers I've ever purchased from required the background check.  Requiring one citizen to check on another for private sales is a step too far IMO.  If there were a simple mechanism in place where responsibility for error lay in a sheriff's office for example, then I might reconsider.  But if I have them fill out a yellow sheet and they lie, I would not want to be held liable.

Naturally it means from private, which is the problem at hand.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#20    Clyde the Glyde

Clyde the Glyde

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,861 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:37 PM

View Postand then, on 07 February 2013 - 05:29 PM, said:

That's true. Many people are totally confused about the so-called " Gun Show Loophole." They think that anyone can go into a gun show and walk out with a gun, no questions asked.  Around here 99.9% of the vendors at gun shows are FFL gun dealers requiring all gun sales to go through the standard background check. The exceptions are private individuals selling a gun. But that is no different than an individual selling a gun to a neighbor, through a classified add, or even at their yard or garage sale,

#21    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 34,254 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:44 PM

View PostClyde the Glyde, on 07 February 2013 - 05:37 PM, said:

That's true. Many people are totally confused about the so-called " Gun Show Loophole." They think that anyone can go into a gun show and walk out with a gun, no questions asked.  Around here 99.9% of the vendors at gun shows are FFL gun dealers requiring all gun sales to go through the standard background check. The exceptions are private individuals selling a gun. But that is no different than an individual selling a gun to a neighbor, through a classified add, or even at their yard or garage sale,

And therefore less than 15% of the guns used in crime are stolen.

The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#22    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 11,834 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:07 PM

I don't know how they will enforce a background check on private sales between individuals.  Seems fairly unenforcable.

#23    aztek

aztek

Alien Abducter

• 5,036 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:11 PM

View PostOverSword, on 07 February 2013 - 06:07 PM, said:

I don't know how they will enforce a background check on private sales between individuals.  Seems fairly unenforcable.
they wont, they'll ban private sales.

also a natonwide poll???? lmao, that must be incredibly credible, if i look hard enough i can pbly find poll that says 92% of ppl like sound of niki minaj farts. lol

Edited by aztek, 07 February 2013 - 06:20 PM.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#24    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 34,254 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:26 PM

View PostOverSword, on 07 February 2013 - 06:07 PM, said:

Just require that the sale of a gun is documented, without deed of sale and proper identification no gun sale. That should even be in the interest of the seller if the gun is later used in a crime.

about me

#25    HerNibs

HerNibs

Grand Duchess Anaesthesia

• 12,033 posts

• Endless repetition does not make something true.

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:33 PM

Well, here is where requiring registration could be handy.  Make a global background check part of registration.

Nibs

Just because it is a mystery to YOU doesn't make it unexplained.

STORM - a must watch - caution, some profanity and may cause you to experience reason.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users