Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Interesting mineral formation on Mars

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#76    Twin

Twin

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 95 posts

• The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.
    Winston Churchill

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:14 AM

I guess a few people hadn't heard about the fossil I referenced in  my first post so this link will explain it a little.
http://www.bibliotec...esp_crinoid.htm

#77    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 34,219 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:17 PM

View PostTwin, on 12 February 2013 - 03:14 AM, said:

I guess a few people hadn't heard about the fossil I referenced in  my first post so this link will explain it a little.
http://www.bibliotec...esp_crinoid.htm
Let's keep this to at least an approximation of on topic shall we. There is plenty of discussion about Richard C. Hoagland's "evidence" in the Extraterrestrial Life & The UFO Phenomenon section.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#78    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 34,219 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:39 PM

View PostZeta Reticulum, on 11 February 2013 - 08:11 AM, said:

There has been found more than just a plank of wood. There is also a statue of what looks like a mermaid, lots and lots of various metal pieces of junk, arrows, shoes etc etc.
Remember, this planet had running rivers and streams, was within the goldilocks zone at that time, and was much warmer. Why is it so difficult for you to accept that perhaps there WAS a civilisation there.?
Is it because NASA hasnt told you this?
It's because there is NO EVIDENCE to support it. Just because you are seeing something doesn't mean the rest of the world are. If there is evidence presented to show that there was a civilisation there then I will accept it.

I believe in scientific method, you don't even understand what that is. You have a belief, nothing more. The thing is what is on Mars is not about belief. What you or I think does not change the reality. I understand that, you don't.

Your entire claim that NASA is hiding things is illogical and idiotic in the extreme. How do you "know" these pieces of wood are there? Because you've seen them in pictures. Who released the pictures? That would be NASA. So according to you NASA are hiding things from the public by releasing pictures of them to the public. If you can't see how foolish that argument is then you are beyond help.

Further more, in releasing those pictures they are not just releasing them to you and me, they are releasing them to the experts around the world who aren't employed by NASA. Experts who really can tell the difference between a rock and a plank of wood. The funny thing is, they aren't rushing forwards in their hundreds to support you, and they probably never will. Why? Because they know what they are talking about.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf, 12 February 2013 - 04:43 PM.
typo.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#79    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 34,219 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:53 PM

Mars Rock Takes Unusual Form

www.nasa.gov said:

Posted Image

A shiny-looking Martian rock is visible in this image taken by NASA's Mars rover Curiosity's Mast Camera (Mastcam) during the mission's 173rd Martian day, or sol (Jan. 30, 2013). Image credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech/Malin Space Science Systems   Larger view

On Mars, as on Earth, sometimes things can take on an unusual appearance. A case in point is a shiny-looking rock seen in a recent image from NASA's Curiosity Mars rover.

Some casual observers might see a resemblance to a car door handle, hood ornament or some other type of metallic object. To Ronald Sletten of the University of Washington, Seattle, a collaborator on Curiosity's science team, the object is an interesting study in how wind and the natural elements cause erosion and other effects on various types of rocks.

Find out what likely caused the shiny appearance of the Martian rock, and see some examples of similar phenomena found on Earth. A PDF of the images and explanatory text is available at: http://www.jpl.nasa..../ventifacts.pdf .  

Guy Webster 818-354-6278
Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif.
guy.webster@jpl.nasa.gov

2013-053

Posted Image Source

Posted Image
Click on button

#80    william joseph

william joseph

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:11 PM

The object looks foreign to the surrounding area so I think it may be a fragment of a metallic meteorite. But that is just a guess on my part.

#81    Chooky88

Chooky88

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:33 PM

Joseph P Skipper (Mars Anomaly page) was into that stuff and has some weird photos. His sites is down. He's very old and ill. Anyone know of he's ok?

#82    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:44 PM

That is the problem with unmanned exploration.  Anything interesting that turns up more than likely can't be resolved because there is no human being there to pick it up and examine it.  They are so locked into pre-decided routines that they have no freedom to really explore.

#83    bison

bison

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:49 PM

So, a NASA geologist looked at the mysterious object, and gave his opinion on what it could be, if it is assumed to be a geological phenomenon. He could very well be right, but the pictures of what be believes to be similar phenomena on Earth aren't  very convincing. The wind-polished rocks don't appear to be anywhere near as shiny as the top part of the object on Mars.
It didn't seem too much to hope that closer scrutiny of this object would be undertaken, once Curiosity's other work at this location was completed. I don't suppose that's very likely to happen, now.
I can't help recalling the adage: 'To a man whose only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail'. If, by chance, the Mars object isn't simply a geological phenomenon, a geologist isn't really in a position to say what it is.

Edited by bison, 13 February 2013 - 03:54 PM.

#84    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 19,031 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:45 PM

Very Sound logic bison ! It would be good to read really what NASA has to say about it in Full,and without any restrictions.

This is a Work in Progress!

#85    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 34,219 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:11 PM

View Postbison, on 13 February 2013 - 03:49 PM, said:

If, by chance, the Mars object isn't simply a geological phenomenon, a geologist isn't really in a position to say what it is.
Maybe, but a geologist IS in the position to know that it isn't simply a geological phenomenon.

Posted Image
Click on button

#86    bison

bison

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:39 PM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 13 February 2013 - 10:11 PM, said:

Maybe, but a geologist IS in the position to know that it isn't simply a geological phenomenon.
Just *Maybe*, not certainly. Reusing my own analogy, above, he has only a hammer (geology), and goes looking for a nail   (geological phenomenon) . Finds an object that looks something like a 'nail'. Assumes it is a 'nail'. But what if it isn't?  I think the image too small, the enlargements  too blurry to say for certain what we have here. A pity, I think, that there probably won't be any further investigation of the object.

#87    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 19,031 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:06 AM

So a Billion dollars and Curiosity dosnt have steering and a Reverse? WHo`s driving that thing ? :tu:

This is a Work in Progress!

#88    WolvenHeart7

WolvenHeart7

Alien Abducter

• 4,616 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:27 AM

Neat!.. I still find the Earth to be far more interesting in regards to looking at it..

#89    Sean93

Sean93

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

• WRATH

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:48 AM

It's a crystallized...

Posted Image

To be serious though, it looks like a handle of some kind although I'm not suggesting that it actually IS a handle,mind you.

"Be peaceful, be courteous, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

“To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”

#90    Chooky88

Chooky88

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:51 PM

It looks exactly like a garden tap handle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users